Annoying Intermittent Beeping Noise

I have the above, it appears to be coming from the front dash adjacent to the steering wheel.

Today I had the Cobra alarm checked out by the installer and all is ok. I’ve recently spoken to Nick Fisher, believes that it’s probably down to the conversion rather than the base vehicle.

It’s Hymer T654SL Gold Edition 3.0 Ducati manual LHD.

The alarm installer couldn’t find anything behind the dash, as far as he could see, that could be the source of the noise, however he did say that whilst looking on the internet he had found a comment referring to an intermittent noise associated with low voltage possibly coming from the electroblock.

My van has an electroblock ebl 101, is this a possibility? I’m desperately beginning to clutch at straws.

It’s not the smoke alarm or CO2.

The Reich e-box is famous for warning beeps while driving, but not Elektroblocks.

Pretty sure the EBL 101 doesn't have anything that can 'bleep'. One of the displays for the 101 does have 'alarm' capability, but can't imagine that sounding like it is coming from the dash?

Hymer sometimes fix the step alarm to the EBL, just a cheap buzzer/bleeper that is fixed to the EBL front with double sided sided tape, and maybe the switching/connections on the step has an issue causing an intermittent bleep over bumps telling you the step is extended when it isn't?

How about you start the engine with the step retracted and get someone to extend the step momentarily to see if that is the same noise?

If it is, maybe get someone to rock the retracted step while the engine is spinning?

By the way if anyone has lost the 'step extented' warning bleep on their Hymer, it is usually easily fixed by just replacing the buzzer with a replacement 12v unit. It is a common failure and because it is totally separate to the EBL, easily replaced.

aandncaravan - 2018-05-29 7:59 PM

The Reich e-box is famous for warning beeps while driving, but not Elektroblocks.

Pretty sure the EBL 101 doesn't have anything that can 'bleep'. One of the displays for the 101 does have 'alarm' capability, but can't imagine that sounding like it is coming from the dash?

Hymer sometimes fix the step alarm to the EBL, just a cheap buzzer/bleeper that is fixed to the EBL front with double sided sided tape, and maybe the switching/connections on the step has an issue causing an intermittent bleep over bumps telling you the step is extended when it isn't?

How about you start the engine with the step retracted and get someone to extend the step momentarily to see if that is the same noise?

If it is, maybe get someone to rock the retracted step while the engine is spinning?

By the way if anyone has lost the 'step extented' warning bleep on their Hymer, it is usually easily fixed by just replacing the buzzer with a replacement 12v unit. It is a common failure and because it is totally separate to the EBL, easily replaced.

There is no step on the van, it’s a lowline. The electroblock is underneath the drivers seat (lhd), so is in the right area for the noise.

It’ not the alarm or the radio, the only other thing in the “front” is the reversing camera monitor.

starvin marvin - 2018-05-30 8:34 AM

Deneb - 2018-05-29 8:49 PM

Have you got a Fiat uConnect radio with integrated satnav?

O.

Not sure what your response is supposed to mean, but I had a frequent apparently random beep from the dashboard warning buzzer on my van when I first got it. After a while, I realised it sometimes, but not always, coincided with approaching a speed camera. It took a while to find, since I don't recall that it was documented in the handbook, but I was able to turn off safety warnings in the satnav menu and that stopped it. What initially confused me was that it happened whether or not I had actually activated the satnav, i.e. even though all I had done was power the unit on the listen to the radio, without selecting the satnav function from the Nav button on the facia.

Edit: Just to add, from your description it does sound like the noise may be coming from the dashboard buzzer. There is a setting in the vehicle Mode menus to alter the volume of the buzzer. Maybe if you altered that, to either turn it right down or up to full volume, you would at least be able to ascertain whether it, or something else, is the cause of the sound you are experiencing.

Deneb - 2018-05-30 8:57 AM

starvin marvin - 2018-05-30 8:34 AM

Deneb - 2018-05-29 8:49 PM

Have you got a Fiat uConnect radio with integrated satnav?

O.

Not sure what your response is supposed to mean, but I had a frequent apparently random beep from the dashboard warning buzzer on my van when I first got it. After a while, I realised it sometimes, but not always, coincided with approaching a speed camera. It took a while to find, since I don't recall that it was documented in the handbook, but I was able to turn off safety warnings in the satnav menu and that stopped it. What initially confused me was that it happened whether or not I had actually activated the satnav, i.e. even though all I had done was power the unit on the listen to the radio, without selecting the satnav function from the Nav button on the facia.

Edit: Just to add, from your description it does sound like the noise may be coming from the dashboard buzzer. There is a setting in the vehicle Mode menus to alter the volume of the buzzer. Maybe if you altered that, to either turn it right down or up to full volume, you would at least be able to ascertain whether it, or something else, is the cause of the sound you are experiencing.

Apologies, fat finger syndrome. The answer is no.

Billggski - 2018-05-30 10:25 AM

Process of elimination I guess.

Ignition on or off?

Engine running or not?

Moving or stationary?

Sat nav/radio on or off?

Turning corners, over bumps or random?

Approaching speed cameras?

Speed limiter set? (http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Variable-speed-control-in-Fiat/37189/31/)

Thanks for the response.

The noise occurs as follows:-

When the ignition is on or off,

When engine is running or not

Whether moving or stationary n

Sat nav, not applicable

Whether turning, going over speed bumps etc

Speed cameras have no effect one way or the other

Speed limiter, I have no knowledge of this.

The background is that the noise started whilst parked on my drive on ehu. It would then stop for some time before starting again. This happened whether being driven or not or whether on ehu or not. It then stopped completely for in excess of 5 weeks, then whilst in Spain free camping it started, briefly at 2am, and continued on and off over 2 days, then stopped for 2 weeks.

The frequency of the noise occurring then increased to the point that at it’s most annoying it would “do it’s nut” for 18 hours of random beeping. At this point we cut short our trip by a few days and drove across Spain and up through France with the noise never really stopping, only occasionally being less frequent.

Now we’re home, of course it’s stopped.

I’ve had a suggestion from another “forum” that the Electroblock EBL 101 can produce a false alarm associated with the retractable step (which we don’t have) even when there is no fault. Apparently the manual (which I don’t have) gives an instruction how to cancel this in section 3.5.1.3.

Trust this info helps.

The Schaudt Elektroblock EBL 101 does not have any type of in-built buzzer or bleeper, so the EBL itself is not capable of generating any noise.

But some of the the DT2xx LCD control screens do, having a sounder unit built-in. They will alarm for various situations from low water to low voltage, but are usually located above the door so I am not sure the noise would be confused as sounding from the dashboard area, but maybe, your LCD screen is near the front?

The alarms can all be silenced on the LCD screen.

The instruction manual for the DT201 and similar display units can be found at the bottom of our Schaudt webpage : http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/schaudt-elektroblock.php

The webpage also contains guidelines on how to remove a Elektroblock should you get anyone out to investigate, etc.

I assume you’re referring to the screen above the habitation door. This is on the opposite side of the van, halfway down. The noise is coming from the front lhs, I’ve sat virtually on top of this for hours on end whilst driving and it’s coming from the front.

The only bits of kit, as far as I know, are the vehicle fuses, the alarm, the EBL 101, and the monitor for the reversing camera.

Nick Fisher has ruled out the base vehicle.

Cobra have ruled out the alarm.

Difference of view on the EBL.

Reversing camera monitor. Not considered...yet!

For sure it’s something... but what??

Hello,

When we spoke on the telephone last week i said that i have not encountered this issue, and i have not. The only component of the vehicle that is capable of emitting a beep is the body computer module that gives warnings of certain faults that occur with the base vehicle. This module is mostly shut down and sleeping when the ignition is off but certain functions remain live and these are the remote locking receiver and associated locking commands and controls such as interior lights and instrument panel 'wake up'.

If there is an intermittent fault with one of these items such as a broken wire making earth it is possible, however unlikely that it is powering up the body computer and issuing a warning beep. Finding the source of this kind of problem, is going to be very difficult but there may be clues if the vehicle is plugged in to a diagnostic device and the 'Body computer' or 'CAN' network is interrogated. There are other modules such as 'Marelli convergence' and 'dashboard' that may hold clues. Fault codes and descriptions are held in there in the same way as in the engine ECU and stay there until deleted. You can also see what devices are connected and operating correctly or not. There is also a function that resets everything and re-learns the features and functions that the body computer needs and this is called 'Proxi re-alignment'.

This could be done at the same time as getting the engine ECU looked at which you need to do to investigate your EML that you mentioned to me.

The CAN system is a strange thing and some very odd reactions to faults can occur. For instance: I had a radio stop working in a Ducato while i was driving it. There was no sound but the display worked as normal. If i removed it, disconnected it and put it back, it would work until next time i stopped the engine. After about 10 times, it would not power up at all.

Back at the workshop i spend many many hours looking for a problem and eventually found one of the speaker wires shorting between the front wing and drivers door. Once that was repaired; everything was fine. The CAN can detect a problem and can report it or shut down power to part or all of a system. It communicates up and down stream very regularly with anything that is connected to it. It is very sensitive and gets upset easily. This is true of all modern vehicles.

Another strange fault that occurred last week still has me completely baffled.

We had removed the offside front suspension leg in order to change the top bearing and to do this had disturbed but not disconnected the body computer to get the required access. We also had to undo an earth connector for an after-market tracking device that the customer had fitted.

The whole time that this was disconnected, we could hear the fuel pump running as it would if the ignition was switched on but unlike the normal condition where after about 20 seconds of not being started: it shuts off; this time it just carried on running until the job was rebuilt and the connection made again. At no time was the ignition switched on.

I mention these odd faults because it puts the CAN in perspective. Earth faults can do very strange things indeed.

Before you ask; No. Thanks but i am far too busy fixing engines at the moment to take on any more fault finding missions!

N

PS. As already mentioned above, it is possible using the dashboard menus to alter the volume of the 'beep' for body computer warnings. I would definitely make this much louder or much quieter to see if this is the source of the noise. If it is not; then the above is a bit irrelevant but i like to share!

I have given this some more thought too and if the beep is coming from the Body Computer (subject to altered volume test) I would be looking into the 'elephant trunk' connectors at each of the front doors and looking for a damaged wire that is earthing on the bodywork. It makes perfect sense.

Unless its something else.

Billggski - 2018-06-01 3:03 PM

Sounds like you are getting desperate, this sort of thing can make you dizzy!

One last thought, if the batteries are disconnected, engine, then leisure, then both, might this stop it?

Not really desperate, just a mixture of suicidal and homicidal.

• 1 year later...

Archived