Annual Mileage/ Insurance

potus4388

Good morning,

I have recently reduced my annual mileage and obtained a lower quote.This has led me to wonder, as the insurance company did not ask for my current mileage, how would they actually know how many miles I drive over the next year, my MH is not yet required to have an MOT so this avenue would not be open.

I would be most interested in any of your thoughts. Many thanks.

A lot of it is on trust - until you have an incident and an assessor is despatched to examine your vehicle. If you've declared 6,000 miles per annum and your 2 year old van has 18,000 miles on the clock, it would raise questions. Once the vehicloe falls into annual testing of course, the mileage is readily available to see.

It does also depend on insurer, not that I have encountered it with MH insurance, but I had a classic car policy for several years which required me to send several photographs of my car at each renewal, including one of the odometer reading, all time-stamped.

I also assumed it was purely based upon trust right up to the moment you make a claim. Even then I don't imagine they would chase you on mileage for say a bumper repair or wing mirror, however, they might if the accident was major or due to some mechanical defect. The internet isn't full of stories of people being fined for getting their insurance mileage wrong so I'm guessing the insurance companies must only check in exceptional circumstances. Myself, I usually over declare and I don't have to give it a second thought and secondly the saving never seems that much so why have to worry about it.

You wouldn't be fined, although technically you could be if convicted of making a false declaration to obtain insurance, but prosecutions for that offence are usually reserved for situations where you would have been declined insurance if the correct facts had been disclosed. More likely you would have any claim that you made reduced, or settlement might be confined to third party liability only and not to your own vehicle. Part of the reason that it isn't splashed all over the internet is perhaps that people who find themselves in that situation aren't often that keen to advertise what they have done; although it can be seen or inferred sometimes from review sites where some people complain or leave poor reviews after having their insurance cancelled or revoked.

As with warranty claims though, quite a lot of information on mileages, dates and other incident related information can be obtained from modern ECUs in minutes with a suitable diagnostic device, and even the vehicle key in some instances ;-)

Because of the value of our new van the insurance company insisted we have a cat 5 monitored tracker, when I access the system to check on the battery etc, the current mileage is displayed, along a log of every trip the van has made where we went and how fast we were driving. Since Sept 2019. Whilst this info is only accessible by me and the tracking company, the evidence is there.

Archived