Anomaly on V5C Re- Number of Seats

Lois

I've just been looking at our V5C and noticed that it only has the van down as having 3 seats (including driver) when there are actually belts for 6 (1 being a lap belt). The van is a Hymer and these were installed at manufacture as far as I'm aware. Is this right or has there been an omission on the documentation?

Do I need to be concerned if we get stopped and there are 4 of us travelling?

Cheers

I think the first thing I'd do is check that the belts are original fit. If you look at the belt attachments it should be fairly obvious if they are post hoc DIY jobs. If you have a manual, or possibly can get hold of a brochure for the model (you don't say what year or model the van is) it should say how many belts were standard. If you are satisfied they are original fit, then your only problem is whether to get the V5C amended.

If your actual laden weights are legal (both axles and MAM) I can't see much reason why you would be required to present your V5C. However, as there is one error, it might be worth checking that the V5C agrees with the Hymer plate. That could be more tricky if stopped.

Otherwise, as DVLA seem presently to be in a "bit of a state", I think I wouldn't do anything about it until the beginning of winter, when you may have less need for your van, and DVLA may have recovered a bit. But in truth, I think I just might leave that to be corrected when you decide to sell it.

You will have told your insurer what make and model the van is, so as long as those belts are standard they won't be concerned what the V5C says. If the two rear passengers can use forward facing, three point belted, seats I can't see why the anomaly on the V5C should be of concern to anyone.

I have the same situation with our Hymer Van 572 that was supplied originally by Brownhills.

Four factory fitted set belts, so was the error by the importer Brownhills or the issuing authority?

We very rarely use the rear seats so I have not done anything about the error on the V5C.

Guest Peter James

All I can say is my own experience of getting the DVLA to alter the seating capacity was not good. I bought a new van with standard double passenger seat, then bought a new single passenger seat to replace it. I was a bit concerned that when I took it for MOT the tester would fail it on the grounds that it no longer fit to carry 3 people as stated in the V5C. So I sent the V5C to the DVLA for the seating capacity to be amended from 3 to 2. Still waiting after 4 weeks and wanting the V5C to take the van abroad I contacted the DVLA - all the usual crap of being answered by a machine, press all these buttons, before you eventually get to talk to somebody. But then at least after all that I was then able to get the direct number of the person who was supposed to be dealing with it. They said my V5C must have been lost in the post and I should have sent it registered mail. I said I had never lost anything in the post before, and if i needed to send it registered post they should have said so on their website so I knew that before I sent it. But they maintained I would have to send £25 and wait for a new V5C. I did that and a few days later my V5C arrived. Then about 2 weeks later my £25 cheque and second application was returned with a note that an updated V5C had already been issued - so I can only guess it hadn't been lost in the post after all and was somewhere in their system.

So I suppose the only advice I can give you is

1) Don't send them the V5C if you are going to need it in the next couple of months to take the van abroad

2) If you do post anything to the DVLA, send it registered post so they can't pretend they haven't received anything like they did to me. >:-)

Thanks for all your responses, very informative. Our van was also bought from Brownhills and I will give them a call tomorrow to ask them about it. That said, the spec says it's got seating for 6 so we're not too worried about it now and if DVLA ever get their act together we may consider getting it amended. Hubby thinks the V5C only relates to the cab and not the coach built section anyway but if anyone knows different I'm sure they'll put him right!

Thanks everyone!

Archived