Ant's in Spain & Portugal

Guest Bryan Blow

Guest Bryan Blow
I wonder if any one can help. Twice I have had Ant’s invade my van, these are the very small what I think are called Pharaoh ants. Has anyone found a way to stop them getting in? I know that once in hindsight it was my own fault, I had parked at Villanova camping park, later I noticed that a small tree branch was in contact with the roof; the ants were streaming along this and getting onto the roof. It took three months after returning home before the last one was eventually killed. Where they were hiding was a mystery.

Hi Bryan We had the same problem last Oct/Nov in spain these came up through the awning lower wheel arch cover and through the gas vent below the fridge . A trip to the local supermarket for some fly/ant spray solved the problem. Mike T

Hi Bryan & Mike Ants are a problem in Spain & Portugal Try Vim, Alax,..... scouring powders They wont cross it at all. We also got some stuff in Austria or Germany but can not remember the name We got some ar home, the flying type; they took up home under a path. Each time we found an outlet that they used I spread Vim roung it & down the hole. Eventually after they had come up in several different places; they went away, or died out

Ants can be a problem anywhere, we have found the best solution is to use talcum powder, the fine powder appears to clog them up and is carried back to the nest. Its a good use for those unwanted cheap Christmas presents.

Thanks Ray never thought of talcum powder You must have some of the sweetest smelling ants in the world; while ours will be the cleanest Thinking about it Talc is similar to Scouring Powder, just a matter of the fineness of the powder grains These dont help with getting rid if they are in the van much, However the strong sprays (which seem to be sold only on the continent) and those Smelly candles and electric Citronella things seem to kill them once they are inside We also have some Sulphor Candles But BEWARE of using them in the van. The sulphor FUMES atack all metals. It does not do any harm to put an electric device in the van to burn itself out (5Hrs) to clear out of creepies now and again

Archived