Anti-roll devices.

Brian Kirby

I find my Ford Transit based 2007 Hobby Van rolls more than I like on roundabouts/corners.  It has a single front anti-roll bar as standard, but none at the rear.  I have asked Ford if a rear bar is available as aftermarket fit, and they say no.  (They also warn against fiddling with their suspension, but that seems a bit unhelpfully negative!)

I have therefore been searching around.  Driverite advertise TUV approved anti-roll bars for the Transit, but then say there is not one for the 2006/7 Tranny rear.

Their agent advises that Driverite/Firestone air suspension units will help to damp roll.  However, since these units seem designed to augment springing, I am suspicious that they will have any more than a co-incidental impact on roll - even if installed with individual air lines to each, rather than inflating both via a single line and a tee piece.  I assume they must have some effect, simply because their installation will stiffen the rear end.  Nevertheless, on the basis that hammers are for knocking in nails and screwdrivers for screwing in screws, I'm still unconvinced that a device primarily designed to augment the rear springs will actually have a beneficial impact on roll.

Does anyone have first hand experience of roll damping with a Driverite semi-air installation, or even better, where an approved anti-roll bar can actually be sourced?

Thanks.

Guest Tracker

I've never owned a van with Air-ride or similar but I did once test drive a Talisman with it fitted and body roll was much less evident than on our existing Talisman.

However my perception was that it hardened up an already hard ride but that may have been to an incorrect pressure setting which I was unable to alter, it being a test drive.

Would heavier duty and/or adjustable type shock absorbers be another possible avenue - although with the body weight of a coachbuilt swinging around I would have some reservations?

I had AS air suspension fitted last week to my Renault/Hymer. The vehicle is 2007, 2.5l diesel 6 speed with cruise control. Without AS, it cruised at 70mph on the motorway with no problems from HGVs or other passing traffic. The air suspension did take the weight off the springs and lift the back end at least 4 inches. Because a motorhome is always loaded, it always sits low on the springs without assistance. After having driven again on the motorway at 70mph, I was not aware of any difference in the handling, but the ground clearance means that I will not bottom out on Ferries and hump-backed bridges.

Ambulances have air assisted suspension, again because they are always loaded with equipment.

Hi Brian

We had air ride suspension fitted at the York show. We have certainly noticed the difference and now don't have a saggy bottom, which was the main reason we had it fitted. However, we have certainly found that it has very much improved the handling, especially going round roundabouts, cornering and when being passed by large vehicles on the motorway. Our previous van was a Rapido of a tidgy 5.53m length and the Rimor is a much larger van at 7.14m with a big overhang, but since we had the air ride fitted it's handling is much more like the Rapido. Highly recommend it.

Following on from my previous post, the ground clearance on my Hymer is only 4 inches at the lowest point (without air assistance) .There is no need for a step because the bottom of the door is just above kerb height. Therefore, because the van is so low, with a low centre of gravity, there is less tendency to roll on corners and is less affected by passing traffic

Thank you all very much, I am much encouraged to hear that the Driverite assists roll and handling - especially as the kits seem quite fairly priced!

Relative to its wheelbase, the Van does have a largish rear overhang, so your comment is especially encouraging Mel.

Clive, do Overfinch fit their own make of anti-roll bars?  I ask, because to date I have been unable to find a manufacturer of any bars for the new Transit.  I should prefer to fit something that has been developed with Ford's knowledge and co-operation, so that the warranty is not automatically invalidated by fitting them.  Thanks.

Brian:

I've not got a current Transit brochure, but the 2004 version indicates that only certain double rear-wheel models had rear anti-roll bars as standard. It did not appear to be available as a Ford option for other chassis and I'm unaware that any company produces a retro-fit bar (Ford-approved or otherwise) for 2000-onwards Transits. (In fact, on platform-cab chassis, I don't think there is anything to attach a rear bar to.) The 2004 brochure mentioned the option for certain Transit panel-vans (FWD & RWD) of a "rear spring-ride height pack", but I don't what that involves.

I think I may have remarked to you off-forum that Don Browning had air-bag units installed on his FWD Transit-based Eura Mobil motorhome to try to counter 'wallowing' and strong wind sensitivity. Don told me this has proved very effective and is likely to be your best (perhaps only) option. E-mail me if you want more details.

It would be wise to discuss with the DriveRite/AirRide people what impact fitting air-bag units has on the Ford warranty. As original Ford parts will need to be sawn off to allow the air-bags to fit between chassis-pan and axle, it's probable that Ford will not have given their approval to this type of modification.

Thanks Derek and Bill

Derek, I suspect you're right, as there is nothing specific on the chassis to fix the bushes for a bar.  The Driverite units actually fit without any chopping (at least they do according to the installation instructions!); it is only necessary to unbolt the bump stops.  Nevertheless, I shall check with Ford on their attitude to fitting the bags.  Firestone/Driverite claim TUV approval, and that the units have been dveloped in conjunction with the chassis manufacturers.  However, we shall see!

Bill

I have looked at the Kit Bleu, it was one of my first searches, but it is manufactured by by a firm called JSA.  Alden's website doesn't seem to recognise them at all.  Nevertheless, there is nothing for the current transit listed by JSA, so I'm afraid that is a dead duck for now.

Assuming Ford don't wave a big stick regarding the warranty, I think I'll stick a couple of bags in, since others have found them beneficial.  I'll then see how effective they are, and if the van is still rolling more than I like, I'll look for a bar if the likes of Driverite/JSA et al decide to market one in a couple of years time, when the van is out of warranty.

Thanks again folks.

I fitted Grayston spring assisters to my 1992 EuraMobil overcab, on the Peugeot J5 base vehicle about 3 months ago.

Cheap (compared to airbag systems), and fthey proved antastic for resolving wallowing, roll, and general "saggy bottom" syndrome.

Maybe worth a look around their website, as they seem to do similar items for loads of other vehicles:

http://www.springassisters.co.uk/

Cheers,

Bruce.

Hi Brian

The Air ride suspension we had fitted on our twin rear wheel drive Ford only meant that the bump stops had to be removed, no sawing etc, so they can go back on if we decided to remove the system and put it on another van.

Is yours a front or rear wheel drive (single/twin)? I know that the kit for the twin rear wheel drive takes a bit more time to fit but they don't charge any extra for that. If you decide to go ahead and want it fitting at a show make sure you contact them beforehand to take the right Ford kit with them as it's not an item they take along as standard.

As Derek Uzzell has said, I cured roll and drift by installing Alko Airrides, one each side not joint. The result is fantastic. In my case the bump stops were welded on and had to be ground off to allow the fitting, but if I wanted to put them back on it is an easy job, because I kept the parts. I was told at the time that Ford had so many different setups with rear suspension, wheels, etc that it was difficult to get all the right parts first time, but they did all right for me. (Towtal of Stoke-on-Trent). Also I was advised, and I thought it was a good idea, because motorhomes are always loaded, to fit the Airrides bellows for the next weight up, i.e. for a 3500 kg van fit the bellows that would take higher weights i.e. 4500 kg. Therefore in theory they will take more punishment. I hope you can understand this. Don

Archived