Any Electrical gurus

Sheep911uk

I have a 2006 hymer Ducato T655 with the IT993 control panel, my issue is that only the voltage and level meter illuminates, the current meter should illuminate as well when that meter is used, I have checked the bulb and it seems ok, can’t see any broken wires etc.

Would it be possible to wire the current meter bulb directly from the other meter bulb?

Sheep911uk - 2019-11-17 9:46 PM

...Would it be possible to wire the current meter bulb directly from the other meter bulb?

As Robinhood advised in his posting of 15 November 2019 8:02 AM here

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Current-level-meter-operation/53689/

(and as you’ve said above) the ammeter on the right-hand side of an IT 993 control-panel and the batteries-voltage/water-tank-levels meter on the panel’s left-hand side should both illuminate when the voltage/levels meter’s test-switch is used.

Personally, provided that the ammeter was functioning, I wouldn’t be concerned about its lack of illumination. But, if you feel that you MUST have the ammeter light up, ‘cross wiring’ the bulb that is illuminating in the left-hand meter to the bulb in the ammeter on the right sounds doable to me if you are handy with a soldering-iron.

Assuming that your Hymer is fitted with a Schaudt Electrobloc EBL 99 unit, that’s where you’d find a batch of 12V fuses

http://www.giordanobenicchi.it/camper/manuali%20vari/Schaudt_EBL99_G_E.pdf

Sheep911uk - 2019-11-17 9:46 PM

I have a 2006 hymer Ducati T655 with the IT993 control panel, my issue is that only the voltage and level meter illuminates, the current meter should illuminate as well when that meter is used, I have checked the bulb and it seems ok, can’t see any broken wires etc.

Would it be possible to wire the current meter bulb directly from the other meter bulb?

Before attempting a 'Botch' repair I would seriously suggest contacting either the manufacturer of the panel (Schaudt was mentioned) or the likes of A and N Caravan Services or Apuljack Engineering to enquire about getting the display unit professionally repaired.

Keith.

Sheep911uk - 2019-11-19 7:55 PM

Thanks for the replies all, what is the best way to check the current meters operation, what would draw most electricity so I can see if the voltage drops on the meter?

The 1st thing to do would be to obtain a voltage-reading of the leisure-battery using the leftmost switch on the left half of the control-panel and the meter above the switch. The reading should be taken when the motorhome is NOT connected to a 230V hook-up, and the vehicle’s motor should not have been recently run. Essentially, before the reading is taken, the battery should not have received any charge in (say) the previous 5 hours. Typical ‘at rest’ charge-state voltages for wet-cell or gel-cell batteries are shown in the attached table.

I think your Hymer motorhome will have a Truma Trumatic C-series combination air/water heater (probably a C6002 model) and this appliance has a powerful 12V fan that runs when blown-air heating is in operation. Selecting blown-air operation and the highest ‘room temperature' will cause the fan to reach maximum speed when it will be drawing over 5 Amps of current. Your motorhome’s habitation-area lights will also draw some current. So, if you turn on all the habitation-area lights and have the heater in blown-air mode with its fan going flat out, you ought to see the needle on the right-hand ammeter indicate a negative value of over 6 Amps. And, if the ammeter is showing an over-6A current drain, a 2nd reading of the leisure-battery’s charge-state should indicate a reduction in the 1st reading’s value to reflect the load now being placed on the leisure-battery.

You can also check the other way round by connecting the motorhome to a 230V hook-up. (In this instance, the heater and lights should remain switched off.) Connecting to a 230V hook-up should cause the on-board battery charger to operate, and a reading taken of the leisure-battery’s charge-state should then show a significantly higher voltage value (over 14V) than when the battery was off charge. When the battery-charger is running, the control-panel’s ammeter should show how much ‘positive’ current the charger is producing - probably 16A to 20A.

I’m wondering if you have a Hymer Instruction Manual for your motorhome. The Manual on the following link has an October 2003 publication date and - although it won’t directly apply to your 2006 model - it should be helpful.

http://premiermotorhomesltd.com/downloads/1269361.pdf

Battery-Voltage-Chart.png.543e904dd4d6f939a40a0db4ffd83a11.png

Archived