Anyone looking to import a new Globecar/Possl van (RHD)

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

A german dealer that I and a few friend use have quite a number of new Globecar/Possl RHD vans to sell. I cant load the list as it doesn't copy over right...If interested PM me with your email and I will forward the list and contact details to you. They speak perfect english and are easy to deal with. I am presuming they must be cancelled UK orders or the like, or the factory just built to many....who knows! But It just might just be an opportunity to pick up a resonable quality RHD German van at a good price.....

Please don't accept the sticker price, bargain till you make them weep and both start crying:D

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A caveat that (hopefully) JudgeMental won’t object to...

At last week’s NEC show I visited the Globecar stand. Knowing that some forum members had purchased Possl-branded motorhomes abroad I asked what the position was in the UK regarding addressing any under-warranty repairs that might be needed to such vehicles. There is currently no official Possl presence in the UK, so would UK Globecar agents be authorised to carry out warranty-work on Possl motorhomes at no charge to the motorhome’s owner?

I was told that UK Globecar agents are not authorised to perform under-warranty work on a Possl motorcaravan, despite Globecar and Possl motorhomes coming from the same factory in Germany and the models often being near identical.

Consequently, for those keen to follow-up the information provided by JudgeMental, apparently there are potential advantages warranty-wise in choosing a Globecar-branded vehicle rather than a Possl look-alike.

lennyhb - 2014-10-21 12:10 PM

Welcome back Eddie.

Did you get bored lurking on Fun? :D

And there was me thinking he was banned >:-)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JudgeMental
Just back from holiday and I now have the complete list of these available RHD Globecar X250. PM me your email address if interested......

Guest JudgeMental
Some of these vans are already in the UK. the list contains the details...They will consider any van both LHD/RHD in PX will need photos and details plus a frank summary of condition.

I miss our panel van conversion (Adria Twin) and very nearly bought a Globescout when they first came out. I didn't think the layout could be much improved upon - until I saw the Campereve stand at the NEC!

If the vans are X250 then with the recent facelift there could be a bargain for someone :)

A potential snag with buying a Campérêve vehicle in the UK is that the only UK agent for the marque is currently Highbridge Caravan Centre in Somerset. (I’m not sure, either, what the RHD/LHD position is, as the Campérêve models shown on the Highbridge website all seem to be LHD.)

Campérêve is nowadays part of the Rapido Group and the conversions are carried at the Rapido factory complex at Mayenne. There is some cross-over between Campérêve and Rapido “Vans”, but the former company’s range is more extensive.

Lots of interesting Continental European panel-van designs don’t come to the UK. For example

http://www.font-vendome.fr/index.php/vans-amenages

Guest JudgeMental
Derek Uzzell - 2014-10-21 11:35 AM

Consequently, for those keen to follow-up the information provided by JudgeMental, apparently there are potential advantages warranty-wise in choosing a Globecar-branded vehicle rather than a Possl look-alike.

Derek they are all Globecar. and come with 2 year Fiat vehicle warranty on date of registration. + 2 year warranty on the Globecar side on date of registration as well

Not relevant but probably worth knowing. Possl is the parent company, and far better known in Europe. They all come out of the Possl (Dethleff) factory anyway. I have been told that Possl will find a UK dealer to honor warranty claims. obviously you need to satisfy yourself on this if its an issue for you..

Any UK dealer you approach will say no way! if you say you're importing and want work done on warranty 8-)

Derek Uzzell - 2014-11-03 9:43 AM

A potential snag with buying a Campérêve vehicle in the UK is that the only UK agent for the marque is currently Highbridge Caravan Centre in Somerset. (I’m not sure, either, what the RHD/LHD position is, as the Campérêve models shown on the Highbridge website all seem to be LHD.)

...implicitly available in RHD, Derek - but certainly would need checking.

(The Campérêve brochure and UK price list is silent on the matter, BUT, does have a note against the Cap Land Ford Transit Custom conversion that this is only available in LHD.)

Robinhood - 2014-11-05 8:34 AM

(The Campérêve brochure and UK price list is silent on the matter, BUT, does have a note against the Cap Land Ford Transit Custom conversion that this is only available in LHD.)

I think the RHD/LHD thing I mentioned is a red herring. Now that I’ve looked a bit more closely at the Highbridge website I believe that the photos of the Campérêve motorhomes on the website are ‘library’ pictures of LHD examples rather than photos of Campérêve models Highbridge actually have in stock or can order. The wording of the description of each vehicle being advertised indicates that it’s in RHD format. Rather oddly, given what you’ve said about the “Cap Land” model, the Highbridge description of this mentions it also being avaialble to order in RHD.

Derek Uzzell - 2014-11-05 9:13 AM

Robinhood - 2014-11-05 8:34 AM

I think the RHD/LHD thing I mentioned is a red herring. Now that I’ve looked a bit more closely at the Highbridge website I believe that the photos of the Campérêve motorhomes on the website are ‘library’ pictures of LHD examples rather than photos of Campérêve models Highbridge actually have in stock or can order. The wording of the description of each vehicle being advertised indicates that it’s in RHD format. Rather oddly, given what you’ve said about the “Cap Land” model, the Highbridge description of this mentions it also being avaialble to order in RHD.

...it's the Highbridge UK price list I've got (NEC) - definitely says LHD only for Cap Land.

JudgeMental - 2014-11-03 9:43 AM

Derek Uzzell - 2014-10-21 11:35 AM

Derek they are all Globecar. and come with 2 year Fiat vehicle warranty on date of registration. + 2 year warranty on the Globecar side on date of registration as well

Not relevant but probably worth knowing. Possl is the parent company, and far better known in Europe. They all come out of the Possl (Dethleff) factory anyway. I have been told that Possl will find a UK dealer to honor warranty claims. obviously you need to satisfy yourself on this if its an issue for you..

Any UK dealer you approach will say no way! if you say you're importing and want work done on warranty 8-)

I don’t envisage there being an insoluble problem regarding having warranty work done by a UK Globecar dealership on the conversion element of a Globecar bought abroad (irrespective of the motorhome being LHD or RHD). A UK Globecar dealership might well not put the motorhome’s owner at the head of the queue, but that would be little different whatever the make of vehicle or its origin.

Purely as an example, if a new Hymer motorhome were purchased from a Hymer agent in Devon (because they offered the best deal) and the buyer wanted warranty-work done by a Hymer dealership in Darlington (because this would be near to his/her home) it would be optimistic to expect the latter dealership to prioritise the work as might happen if the motorhome had been sold by them. But if a motorhome marque has an international network of agents, each of those dealerships should be prepared to carry out warranty work that’s been agreed with the motorhome’s manufacturer.

It would appear from the e-bay advert that the seller (Clive Singleton Transport Ltd at Truro, Cornwall) is not a motorhome dealership, so it would be wise to confirm what the position is regarding warranty and servicing issues relating to these vehicles.

As far as Possl-branded motorhomes are concerned, I mentioned in my posting of 21 October 2014 11:35 AM above that I had explored this with UK Globecar representatives at the recent NEC Show. As there are currently no Possl dealerships in the UK, if the Possl factory is prepared to agree to a UK non-Possl dealership carrying out warranty work on a Possl motorhome, it would appear that the eealership would not be a Globecar one.

There are precedents. Probably the closest case is where (in 2009) a batch of forty RHD Fendt motorhomes was being marketed in the UK at very competitive prices by Wellhouse Leisure. The latter company was not a Fendt dealership and, in fact, there were no ‘official’ Fendt motorhome agents in the UK at that time. Potential warranty/servicing problems were predictable and this was discussed at some length on motorhome forums - this is an example

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Buying-and-warranty/16217/?posts=9

Another instance is when Brownhills hit major financial difficulties in 2008 and was subsequently resurrected with a different company/management structure. Prior to the problems, Brownhills had been the sole UK agent for certain marques (eg. TEC) but, after the restructuring, ’New Brownhills’ had dropped some of those agencies, with no other alternative UK agent being immediately appointed by the motorhome manufacturer to assume responsibility for warranty/servicing matters. This put owners of affected motorhomes in a parlous position and, if I remember correctly, the manufacturers involved refused to authorise UK dealerships they had not appointed to carry out warranty or obligatory work on the motorhomes previously dealt with by Brownhills.

Derek Uzzell - 2014-11-05 9:25 AM

It would appear from the e-bay advert that the seller (Clive Singleton Transport Ltd at Truro, Cornwall) is not a motorhome dealership, so it would be wise to confirm what the position is regarding warranty and servicing issues relating to these vehicles.

Indeed. This seller first appeared on Ebay last week, listing a Matrix Supreme that he had brought back from Germany (presumably) and described as 'fully tested in the real world in a 5 day shakedown tour', i.e. used on a holiday.. :-D

I suspect that he is just hoping to act as an agent regarding the Globecars, as indeed anyone in possession of Judgemental's list could themselves do. It might be interesting to compare the prices in the Ebay listing with those on the original list.

Guest JudgeMental

Like I said they are all Globecar badged vans. From my perspective the ones in Germany more attractive as they will be new, undelivered and not undergone the "rigorous testing" (as Robin pointed out) which is an excuse for being shunted round dealers and shows or worse! Plus exchange and fitting extras more straightforward......

Although I have been offered a resonable PX have put mine on ebay to see if it goes, but not the best time of year to sell....

I fancy a Revoloution model as not entirely happy with keeping £7k worth of ebikes on a rack...but I think the cost to change will be to much for me as mine has so many extras.... But if your in a position to make a straight purchase worth a look and certainly better then UK stock prices.

You can get a quote from Shipley to deliver it in the UK. And look at FSA site for registered foreign exchange brokers....

Guest JudgeMental

"From my perspective the ones in Germany more attractive as they will be new"

This an assumption that is probably wrong. as some of these vans in germany may be unsold returns. So the usual caveats apply!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone just to clarify some points.

It was my company that listed the vans on EBay. I do officially act as an agent for a large German company & this has been made clear to anyone who has enquired.

Warranty is 2 years (from 1st registration) with any Fiat dealer but Possl warranty would be through my company if I imported the van. UK Globecar dealers will not touch them.

I have temporarily suspended my EBay listing as the UK DEALERS HAVE ALL GONE CRYING & screaming to Possl about the prices being offered, with some even threatening legal action. I'm sure if my company took someone to court because they were selling something cheaper than me I believe the Judge may pee his pants before throwing me out of court!!

My listing will return soon, some of the vans have now been collected from the factory and I am receiving photos of them.

My business philosophy has always been if you can give someone a good deal and earn a small commission in return everyone is a winner. Squeezing customers for as much as you can get will never

reap rewards.

If anyone would like any further information don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers Clive

Guest JudgeMental

Hmmmm.....this judge is not crying laughing more like.

A commercial dealer joins the forum to push his product. Anyone who has the list can see dealing directly and registering yourself is the cheapest way to do it. I would not of offered to circulate the list if I knew this was going to happen. If you want to buy the vans registered the above an option, but if you want best possible price and prepared to DIY registration process contact me for list.

I was offered commission on these, so far at least 2 have bought from my list that I know of, there may be others...I turned down the commission as I felt uncomfortable taking it, I looked upon it as enlightened self interest (as my old boss used to say:-D ) if I decide to change mine...

Do you really want to have a contract/warranty from someone who operates from his drive or a reputable German company.....

The UK dealers are only up in arms because of the aboves ebay advert! sticking it in their collective faces!lolThat undercut their ebay add prices... To be honest the situation is tacky to say the least, Possl need their heads examining *-)

That being said they are still a very good deal.....

Hi All

Judgemental does raise some very valid points. I personally make no excuse for replying to the questions being raised and yes I act on a commercial basis.

Judgemental you are very right in that the cheapest way to acquire one of these stock vehicles is direct from Germany and people that have enquired with me are given that option and can deal directly with the German company.

I am finding however that most people are a little apprehensive about the import and registration process which is maybe understandable if they have no experience. Why is it wrong of me to pay for a vehicle, import it and register it as a business? I also have to give a customer a recourse for any warranty issues. The biggest issue with warranty is the limited amount Possl will pay for warranty work which is why UK dealers are not interested regardless of who imports the vehicle. I am prepared to work for these rates so will stand by warranty claims that are upheld by the manufacturer.

I also make no excuse for upsetting UK dealers who could now be offering all these vans at cracking prices. I have been asked to form a commercial relationship with another company because of my import experience and that is it simply. An opportunity to progress my business, nothing underhand and I'm unsure why you feel it's tacky??

But you're dead right that these vans are bargains and let's hope many people benefit from that.

Regards

Clive

Clive

Perhaps you could say, please, what would happen if a Possl motorhome purchased by a UK buyer via your company developed a major ‘conversion’ problem during the Possl warranty period.

There’s nothing new about a UK company acting as a middleman for importing motorhomes - Bundesvan has being doing this for many years.

The potential difficulty in this case is that there is no current Possl presence in the UK, which suggests that any Possl motorhome imported to the UK (privately or via a middleman) that required under-warranty work would need to be taken abroad to have the work carried out by an ‘official’ Possl agent. As you’ve confirmed, UK Globecar agents will not carry out under-warranty work on Possl-branded vehicles.

You said earlier that "Possl warranty would be through my company if I imported the van” and "The biggest issue with warranty is the limited amount Possl will pay for warranty work which is why UK dealers are not interested regardless of who imports the vehicle. I am prepared to work for these rates so will stand by warranty claims that are upheld by the manufacturer”.

Does that mean that you have an agreement with Possl that the warranty work could be carried out in the UK by your company or another non-Possl agent?

...from the eBay listing, I think most of the 'vans are in fact Globecar (not Pössl) branded.

There is, of course, a Globecar dealership presence in the UK, but I'm not at all surprised that they won't honour any warranty work on 'vans sourced in such a manner.

Almost all of the UK Globecar dealers still have a number of 2014 and earlier 'vans in stock and unsold, presumably sourced via the normal route from Pössl via the UK concessionaire, and they are doubtless unable to match the prices being offered (both because of the pricing implications of using that normal route, and (conjecturing) that the 'vans being advertised on eBay have had some incentive added to them to clear them (through a continental route)).

The latter conjecture does rather beg the question of why there are RHD 'vans being cleared through the continent, whether they were offered at a discount to the UK market, whether the continental dealer has taken a "punt" in ordering them (rather than being offered a clearance bargain), and just exactly what business practices Pössl have adopted.

So, whilst I'm all in favour of competitive practice, I also have some sympathy with how markets work, and what practices have to be adopted to ensure continuity of dealerships. If, as has been stated, the UK Globecar dealers are "up in arms" with Pössl, they have my sympathy (unless they turned down the opportunity to take these 'vans on board at a commercial discount). There seem to be some practices going on here that undermine, either officially or not, their business arrangements with Pössl.

Guest JudgeMental

Yes all Globecars...

All Possl & Globecar vans are built at Possl/Dehtleff factory in Isny Germany. Before Clive stuck it in the faces of UK dealers by blatantly advertising the list on ebay. The earlier undertaking from Possl to find an amenable UK dealer will now be near impossible I would think...

This would not bother me anyway, as chassis and most vulnerable equipment (heating/fridge etc...) covered by europe wide warranty. any other issues can be dealt directly with German dealer.....

As these are full UK spec vans DVLA registration straight forward (No VCA tests etc...) I can PM details of someone who will register for you if necessary. He charges I believe £500 for purely registering van In your name and has a reliable reputation as a personal importer

This situation has only come about due to a combination of over supply, cancelled orders, UK prices, and new face lifted vans out and available now

Archived