Applecross road?

michaelmorris

We're considering doing the North 500 in Scotland. One of the things that slightly put me off was the stories people tell about how tortuous the road to Applecross is.

I've just had a look on Streetview and the bits of the road I looked at look to be no worse than (and in many places better than) most of the roads on Mull, which were pretty much all single track with passing places Have I missed something?

ive Driven a 7 metre van over it without fuss and there are plenty of 8 metre vans do it too. There are a couple of tight bends near the top where your ‘navigator’ needs to help make decisions (to avoid meeting traffic). Additionally, single track etiquette is important as you are likely to meet cyclists and faster traffic in both directions. I would say that the worst you need to worry about is the weather. Get a good day and the scenery is jaw dropping. Get a wet/misty/cloudy day and you’ll not see very much at all.

Fantastic drive if weather is clear. Doesn't matter which way you go, as with most roads you get a different set of views according to direction.

It is indeed single track with plenty of passing places. The only problem you will meet is the person in the hired vehicle who can't manoeuvre their vehicle and who appears to be oblivious to other road users coming the other way. Last year on the same crossing I had the one who did indeed stop for me at a passing place - in the middle of the road and then they sat and looked at me when I stopped because I couldn't split the vehicle in half and send a bit around each side of them; then there was the one who pulled the front wheels in to the passing place but left the back of the vehicle across the road. Unfortunately, for them, they couldn't reverse very well.

Don't be put off, just be aware and prepared, do it and enjoy.

Dave

Thanks. It doesn't sound too bad at all, and certainly no worse than the roads on Mull, which we didn't find too bad at all.

There was one stretch of coast road near Calgary Bay where we twice had to reverse up. However, the combination of a reversing camera and Mrs M walking behind me with a walkie talkie and it was fine.

Applecross road is a bit more "exciting" than Mull roads to be honest. It's not difficult though but will test your brakes! Very nice to do in summer but the only vehicle that does the full length in winter is a snow plough!

It's not as hairy as the Hardknott Pass in Cumbria.

As most of the responses say, the road is not the problem although care is required. The main problem is other drivers who are not familiar with driving their hired vehicles, those who do not know how to drive on single track roads and those (particularly foreign visitors) who drive in convoy. It pays to be very understanding of others inabilities/lack of knowledge and be prepared to give way even when it is not your responsibility. I would also strongly recommend having mirror protectors fitted when travelling these roads and if possible use a dash cam.

I reckon it’s easier to do it from the North - come into Applecross peninsula from the north, down the coast road, and leave on the Bealach na Ba. I think the trickier sections are if you go in from the south. (That may be just because I’ve only ever done it from the north, mind!)

Billggski - 2019-05-23 2:33 PM

Follow the bus or the milk tanker, they have no problems. It's just the queues of "bucket listers" who drive in convoy on single track roads.

Having met one of these convoys in 2017 when ascending from Appplecross, in fine weather, I wondered as always, as to what happens when two such convoys meet. None of them seem prepared to give way, or even space themselves out. Our previous crossing in the opposite direction was in severely restricted visibility. It was very much a case of peering for the headlights of oncoming vehicles, and trying to decide which was nearer, next passing place, or the approaching vehicle. At least it was much quieter when I made my first crossing in 1967. That was camping iwith a Land Rover.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Archived