Are US RV getting more common

Guest Tim O'Connell

Guest Tim O'Connell
Hi, After reading the Classified section of MMM this month, I have just noted that there appears to be quite a lot of US RV's for sale. I Didn't do a count but it looked like about 40% -50% were US. Is this beaause of the weak dollar or has it got easier/cheaper to import an RV from the States. I notice that MMM are doing a feature in importing from the US next month. With the way petrol prices seem to be going, I don't think I'd fancy filling up on a 6.2L petrol. Think I'll keep my trusty Hymer for the moment. Out of curiosity, does any one know what mpg to expect from the big US petrol or diesel campers. Rgds, Tim

I was talking to a trader at the Malvern show,he had a big yank with a trailer on the back to carry a Toyota van. He was fitting Gaslow systems for people. It turned out that he lives quite near us in Hampshire and he was whinging on about the one days rain that cost him a lot of work. He commented that fuel alone for the RV would come to £120.00 just for the return trip. We spent about £25.00 using our Autotrail Scout. He was also Petrol and we diesel. But if you allow for that its still LOADS of dosh. Perhaps there are lots for sale because of the rising cost of running them? or perhaps because their size severely limits the places you can go with them? It all depends on what style of camper you are? C.

Tim & Clive If you keep back issues of MMM you will notice that the level of RV's for sale varies from about 25% to about 50% and has done for some time. There are two main reasons for this and neither of them are what Clive suggests!! Firstly. motorhoming is getting more and more popular and new and existing buyers are noticing the huge value that is available from US RV's. Secondly, as a result of this interest, and capitalising on the weak dollar, more and more "entrepenuers" can see a quick buck (pun intended) from buying in the US and selling in the UK at the same figure, just changing the $ sign for a £ sign. Regarding mpg figures, it can vary a bit depending on the engine, fuel, and size (weight) of the RV. Firstly, there is no 6.2 petrol engine, that is a GM Chevy non-turbo diesel. A (very) rough guide is (best to worst): 5.7 petrol (carb) 22 to 16 small engine small RV 5.7 petrol (EFI) 24 to 18 small engine small RV 7.4 petrol (carb) 18 to 8 7.4 petrol (EFI) 18 to 10 6.2 diesel 20 to 12 6.5 t/diesel 24 to 16 5.9 t/diesel 25 to 15 8.3 t/diesel 18 to 8 I don't have a feel for the newer engines, either petrol or diesel. Don't forget also that, with the exception of the 5.7P and the 8.3TD engines, they could be fitted to motorhomes from 17 feet to 36 feet long and so there is a wide mpg range. I have a 30' 6.5TD RV that runs close to the maximum of 6.75 tonnes and I return an average of 18mpg. Motorway cruising is done at 100kph. Regards Neal

Thats showing off again Neal! Don,t forget the weight of those vintage motorbikes in the back! But we couldn,t get your beast in some of the places we visit nor our regular camp at Agde. Our Merc over 2500 miles in France this year towing a small trailer with 2 small motorbikes on it returned 27 MPG Horses for courses, enjoy. Regards Clive

Guest Tim O'Connell
Neal, Many thanks for your detailed reply. I Have considered an RV but have never done anything about. The fuel figures don't look much worse than my Hymer. Its a 1990 554 A class with a 2.0L petrol engine. Best I've got is about 24mpg on long runs with mainly 5th gear. Generally seems to average around 20mpg fully loaded. Also thanks for all other replies. Tim

Tim No worries. When you consider what you get for your money in a US RV, balanced against your annual mileage with consideration for where you buy your fuel (UK, Spain, Luxembourg etc.) it can look quite attractive. Remember also, "there ain't no substitute for cubic inches" and "size IS important" and you soon realise that, actually, you can't do without one!! Regards Neal

Archived