Are we there yet?

Guest Dianne Walker

Guest Dianne Walker
Hiya all, My sister has finally got passports for her two children, so off we all go (husband and 3 children Ages 3,3 and 9.) After a fantastic holiday in Italy in October we are ready to go again. We leave on Thursday for two weeks :) I am trying to prepare for, and be pro active, by producing a list of responses to the big question of, 'Are we there yet?' I am looking for ideas which i can add to my list. Ideas of activities and replies will be greatfully recieved...Oh yes and we have a twelve hour journey just to get down to Dover :)

Guest Tony S
Hey, hey, hey.... They're your children - you look after them - but if you insist, then tying them up and gagging them is one response that comes to mind.

Guest Tony S
My wife says that she used to make sure that the kids had a new jigsaw puzzle for the journey and some colouring books. I'd still recommend tying them up and gagging them to guarantee peace and quiet though.

Guest PeteC
Hi Dianne Domt know where you are from. However the time to Dover makes me think you are from the North We are from Cumbria and find that we save money by going to HULL and sail either Rotterdam or Zebrugge Zeebrugge is only 60miles North of Calaise. So its worth thinking about Its an Overnight sailing so you arrive fresh in the morning & the kids may find it exciting to sleep on a boat We also save mileage across the water For Spain try Portsmouth - Bilbao (2 nts on boat out 1 night return)

Guest dianne
Mmmm not quite sure about the gagging idea...maybe on the return journey... I thought my other half looked into crossing from Hull - I thought he said something about our motorhome being too big. Maybe he just spoke to someone having a bad day. PeteC what are the dime. of your motorhome - ours is nearly 7m long and 3m tall. Who did you book through?

Guest Clive
Whatever happened to "Children should be seen and not heard". Or "Spare the rod and spoil the child". Are we all accepting the nanny state viewpoint? Enjoy the early years when the instant effect of traveling in a vehicle is to send them to sleep. We did the Overnight to Spain across the Bay of Biscay only once, never again. Force 9 throughout, the boat stank of sick, my familly spent the entire sailing on their bunks being "unwell" and I shared the canteen with 1 member of staff. Wife was not impressed with my report to her of the "Full English" I had just enjoyed upstairs. Thats left hand to hold the plate still and right hand to hold the fork! If it were not for our fear of tunnels it would be the chunnell, so Its Dover Calais for us, irrespective of where we might live in Britain.

Guest Dianne
Thanks for that Clive. Kids still do fall asleep on journies but... as i said earlier we have a 12 hour journey just to get to the boat! I love living up in the wilds of the Highlands but i might have to admit that there is a down side. My other half doesnt really enjoy boats - came to think of it thats probably why he said we couldnt leave from Hull...

Guest Clive
Then don,t try and do it all in one stint. Do it over 2 or 3 days with a stop over each night somewhere when the kids can let of steam? Give them a task while travelling, like count the number of bridges you go under or perhaps the railway crossings you go over. Ours must have been different, all they wanted to do was "smell the sea"

Guest Docted
Hi Dianne I know it is a bit late now but you could always try the ferry from Rosyth in the future. In answer to the question "are we there yet?" Two three year olds need to be tranquilised before setting off the nine year old can then be tasked with ensuring that both three year oldsd are breathing when you do get there. Good luck Docted

Guest Norma
Rosyth is right on my door step - I often see the boat passing up and down the Forth... But... the cost to take our 24 footer across is in the region of £600! So we find it much more economical to travel to Dover (Under £200 with MTC). Thankfully without the children, any more. Not an enviable trip but a couple of decent breaks does sound the best advice. Good luck

Guest Will Redfearn Wirral Motorhome Club
We used to drive at night and they would fall asleep very quickly. When they were older they would read, listen to talking books or music on their tape or cd players. Latterly they have helped with the navigation (just somebody else to argue with!) If it is the first time they will be excited and awestruck, esp. if it is the first time in a van. Another suggestion may be a book of car games, there are many on the market. One game we used to play was 'pub cricket', a run was scored for each leg on a pub sign e.g. The Horseman =6, 4 for the horse, 2 for the rider, no legs your're out eg The Wiggin Tree.I'm still looking for the Centipede arms! Another is for each player is to look for a specific car colour, the most at the end of a period is the winner.

Guest PeteC
Hi Dont get on here evert day Al to do with updating the kitchen & having to get it done in time for our next trip to the Nederlands Our Mh is 6m + bike rack 3m high Over 2.4m h they put you amongst the trucks so there is no problem with length. Thinking back we were amongst the trucks going to Bilbao For two trips we have booked through the camping & caravanning Club. But after some problems with the insurers we have booked ourselves by internet We were intending to go to Ireland but the cost of sites there was too high We have sailed to both Rotterdam and Zebrugge Going South from R there is a good site at - De Veerhoeve at Volphartsdijke about 120 miles south On the return we stay at t'weergores in Heelovetsluijs about 34miles from the port. Volphartsdijke is by a lake with steamers on and a canal bank you can walk or ride on - Kids playground on site t'weergores has a kids playground & you can take a longer way to the port via a beach (strand) Also found a good site in Luxemburg - One day each week the kids have a carnival where the dress up as clowns & play games More info contact us at travellogger-info@yahoo.co.uk

Guest PeteC
It isnt too bad on the overnight tell him Pam doesnt like boats either but you set sail at 19.00hr & once the kids are in bed & you get settled its soon morning & we\are too busy getting our breakfast etc to think about the boat This time we have booked a window cabin. We had one the first time when we sailed from Portsmouth & I was up at 05;00 watching the 30ft waves in the channel - Biscay was calm Then we have had a few winter trips form Hull with inside cabins & we feel too closed in so this time we are paying the extra for outside berths witha TV & complimenyary Champers, Pam isnt allowed to drink it so as before it will come home with us We have travelled by night but when it comes to day & the kids wake up you are not at your best. We now travel at night sometimes to avoid the traffic

Archived