Armitages. Smart Car burns.

locksmith

Just an update ...

My insurance company has been fantastic. I have a replacement car and have decided to go down the line of another A Frame.?

My insurance company have tried to get information from Armitages insurers over the last month and have come up with nothing .. no information has been supplied to them .. I have a Smart car replacement, I'm unable to have another A Frame fitted as I used all my money on the last fit with Armitages.

Although I have another car I'm out of pocket the bulk of that being the Armitages fitting cost's, with no way of getting that back till my insurance can get a response from them.

A friend has loaned me the money to have another A Frame fitted, so Mandy and I can get away, I'm going to Chris Cox. http://www.towingframes.com/

I spoke to Mr Cox on the phone and he explained everything, I told him my concerns and told him who I was, Mr Cox had read all about the problems I have had and has installed confidence in me that I will not have a problem with his product.

The A Frame is being installed tomorrow, this is the first time I have spoke with Chris Cox and unlike all the other A Frame fitter's he was the only one who didn't have a bad word to say about the others.

Good to here your almost sorted.

Chris Cox fitted an A frame to my Fiat Panda earlier this year. Chris collected the car and delivered it back next day. Demonstrated the the frame and I have had no problems at all.

The only thing I found a bit of a problem was the weight , it do's seem a little heavy, however this is down to me as I am still recovering from chemo & radio.

My wife made a good point, buy some 'D' clips in case anyone pinches them when we pull up.

Anyway best of luck . *-)

Guest pelmetman

Thanks for the update...... glad you will soon be sorted, although Armitages insurance company don't seem to be making much of an effort *-)

snitrats - 2011-06-01 5:19 PM

The only thing I found a bit of a problem was the weight , it do's seem a little heavy, however this is down to me as I am still recovering from chemo & radio.

I hope your recovery continues to be positive, Mandy had a Brain Tumour removed the size of her own fist but the radio was the hardest part to recover from ... Take care.

All the best Locksmith and I hope all goes well from now on.

snitrats - you and I share the same fear! I bought a spare set of clips, just in case anyone thought it amusing to remove one. I have also seen a car with padlocks of the same dia as the clips in place.

snitrats - 2011-06-01 5:19 PM

My wife made a good point, buy some 'D' clips in case anyone pinches them when we pull up.

Anyway best of luck . *-)

Sorry, you've lost me. Can you elaborate? On my Chris Cox fitting, the termination on the car is a couple of threaded nuts : you then screw in the mounting points which are D-shaped with bolts on to screw into the nut. The A-frame then attaches to those mounts, plus the braking cable to a point in the centre.

When the frame's not in use, those mounts unscrew and go in the boot, and the a-frame folds in half and similarly goes in the boot. Only thing that's detachable/nickable are the rubber cups (approx 1 inch diameter) that fit over the nuts...not exactly disastrous.

Or are you worried about someone stealing the spring clips that secure the bolts between the mounting points & a-frame, when the car is a-framed up and you stop at a junction. Bit paranoid...

Am I missing something?

Paul

Re the spring clips, there are 5 spring clips which secure the unit together. Paranoid or not , say you left your rig unattended at a service station and someone thought it would be a laugh to pinch one, for the sake of a couple of quid, its worth having a spare rather than trying a bodge to carry on your trip.

Hub caps get stolen 'just for a laugh'.

Badges get stolen 'just for a laugh'.

Filler caps get stolen 'just for a laugh'.

Campers lose watering cans, buckets and even 'Motorhome using this pitch' signs.

So why not for peace of mind keep a couple of spring clips 'just in case'.

We managed to lose a set of van keys inside the van for 3 months and didn't find them until £300 had been spent on new ones so what chance is there that we might lose a spring clip??

Sorry for the hijack, locksmith, but each new post keeps yours near the top.

Ah, now I know what you mean (it was the reference to d-rings that had me confused). Still think you're being paranoid...e.g. do you similarly carry spare number plates and spare red triangles given these can equally be easily removed...but if it makes you sleep more soundly at night, no harm done in carrying an extra set I suppose.

Smart-maniacs forum..

Preview

Re: Smart destroyed by fire.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SailSussex

Hi Andrew, since you called me the other day I have seen the reports on Motorhome Fun and have now had my attention drawn to the pictures here. Glad you have found a new Smartie. Call me when you are ready and we will sort out something with Rob at Barley Green to get you on your way asap.

Alan

Smart-Tow

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alan, thanks again but with very limited funds and my wife's terminal illness, my friend paid to get me on the way quickly with another A Frame, I do however appreciate the offer of of your loan trailer etc. I intend to have a smartie always and once settled and with a new Smart I will certainly give you a call.

My Wife and I have had nothing but bad luck since she was diagnosed with a brain tumour, our other problem was with the motorhome, I sold everything I have to buy the Motorhome and Smart to give her the best life I can with whatever time we have left. Please google "Brownhills are Downhills"........

So twice in less than a year I have had to call on the help of these forums who have been fantastic at letting it be known who the people are who's shoddy workmanship put peoples lives in danger and also about their very very poor customer relation's. I must stress that Brownhills as far as I'm concerned redeemed themselves 200% with me.

There are around 1100 people reading my threads at the moment.

Have had my A Frame fitted by Chris Cox and have tried it out (Fantastic) I would not know the toad is on the back of the motorhome if I couldn't see it with the Camera ... up to 60mph no sweat .. checked it twice down the road and the disc's and drums are cool.

Chris Cox ... no fuss .. good clean job ... 2 and a bit hours .. took me downtown and picked me up when the job was finished.

Very very happy.

locksmith - 2011-06-02 6:41 PM

Have had my A Frame fitted by Chris Cox and have tried it out (Fantastic) I would not know the toad is on the back of the motorhome if I couldn't see it with the Camera ... up to 60mph no sweat .. checked it twice down the road and the disc's and drums are cool.

Chris Cox ... no fuss .. good clean job ... 2 and a bit hours .. took me downtown and picked me up when the job was finished.

Very very happy.

Steady on now,60MPH ! the last thing we want now is speeding ticket now your sorrted.

locksmith - 2011-06-02 6:41 PM

Very very happy.

Steady on now,60MPH ! the last thing we want now is speeding ticket now your sorrted.

Archived