Armitages and Smart Car fire .....................

locksmith

Just an update, I've had a few PM's from members and this prompted me to call my insurers for an update, now 4 months on Armitages have not answered a single question asked by my insurers, Armitages insurers are saying the same that they have not received any answers from Armitages as of yet.

They can't admit liability to 3 people then change there mind Surely!

I have talked with various engineers and they all agree that a car being towed at 50mph with the brakes on to the point where the wheels are still able to turn would result in the drums overheating first because of the way they are constructed, so although the front disc's would have been on also because of the way they are constructed they cool much more effectively. The drums heated to the point that the brake cylinders gave out spraying brake fluid under pressure inside the drums to catch fire then tyres, body etc. Armitages having found the kinked brake line said that was the fault.

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=23831&posts=18

I realise that this will never happen but, a piece in MMM entitled " A cautionary tale of A-Frame towing" and leaving out the dealers name would probably save some other poor soul from having a bad experience. It is all well and good for us forum users to have the knowledge, but those who have never used a forum can be pretty much in the dark.

Six months before we bought our 1st motorhome I did not even know that MMM existed, but being introduced to it, (we were given a pile of back issues) we quickly got up to speed. Hence my suggestion for the above article.

Mike

mike 202 - 2011-08-20 12:34 PM

I realise that this will never happen but, a piece in MMM entitled " A cautionary tale of A-Frame towing" and leaving out the dealers name would probably save some other poor soul from having a bad experience. It is all well and good for us forum users to have the knowledge, but those who have never used a forum can be pretty much in the dark.

Six months before we bought our 1st motorhome I did not even know that MMM existed, but being introduced to it, (we were given a pile of back issues) we quickly got up to speed. Hence my suggestion for the above article.

Mike

I believe it's unlikely that Armitages will make the same mistake again and having the knowledge of " A cautionary tale of A-Frame towing" wouldn't have stopped what happened to me. I now have a Chris Cox A Frame and can't fault it but I make check after check now I know how the system works and is constructed. I think what you suggest would certainly make people aware of what can go wrong.

Hi Locksmith

Soory to hear you are not yet sorted with the Insurers & Armitage.

Hopefully with the Cox A frame, you are able to get your wife out & about in the Motorhome.

It must have been so frustrating for you both over such a long period (with the Motorhome & then the Car)

Best wishes to you both

locksmith - 2011-08-19 10:07 AM

Just an update, I've had a few PM's from members and this prompted me to call my insurers for an update, now 4 months on Armitages have not answered a single question asked by my insurers, Armitages insurers are saying the same that they have not received any answers from Armitages as of yet.

I have talked with various engineers and they all agree that a car being towed at 50mph with the brakes on to the point where the wheels are still able to turn would result in the drums overheating first because of the way they are constructed, so although the front disc's would have been on also because of the way they are constructed they cool much more effectively. The drums heated to the point that the brake cylinders gave out spraying brake fluid under pressure inside the drums to catch fire then tyres, body etc. Armitages having found the kinked brake line said that was the fault.

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=23831&posts=18

Hi

Can you tell me the original title on this thread as tried searching and can't find it

Thanks

Mike

Mike B. - 2011-08-22 7:29 PM

locksmith - 2011-08-19 10:07 AM

Hi

Can you tell me the original title on this thread as tried searching and can't find it

Thanks

Mike

It was removed within day's as Armitages advertise on here but you can see it on:

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/motorhome-problems/13137-armitages-frame-smart-car-fire-locksmiths-bad-luck-strikes-again.html

Looking at the quotes below, it seems to me that the advertising revenue, is more important than the MMM purchaser's money. So if that is true then maybee MMM could produce a mag with only adverts in it. I wonder how many copies would be sold ???

I for one have taken note of both plus and minus comment for my future purchases and thank those who have spread the word.

Quote:

Hi

Thanks

Mike

It was removed within day's as Armitages advertise on here but you can see it on:

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/motorhome-problems/13137-armitages-frame-smart-car-fire-locksmiths-bad-luck-strikes-again.html

I have recently renewed the insurance on my Locksmith van, the insurance company asked if everything is the same as last year, I said "yes" .... today a letter has come to say the insurers want more money because I had vehicle fire claim. I was told that because the Smart car fire was being claimed from Armitages public liability and I have protected no claims and it would not effect my insurance, also as this is an on going claim against Armitages you wouldn't think that it would effect my other insurances yet, well it clearly does. Time to get heavy with Armitages and get them to court, because of their mistake I'm out of pocket again and still paying for it.

Chascass wrote: ‹ Select › ‹ Expand ›

I wonder if it's worth having protected no claims discount protection because all they do is put the premiums up, we have no way of knowing if it's because of a no fault claim or the new premium rates

Good luck

Charlie

My thoughts also, the premium had already jumped £75 from last year and they said all insurances had increased... now this!

What is protected no claims? it protects the insurance you are claiming from but because you have had a claim and have to declare this, they take it from your other un-related insurances! Protected or not.

We had an incident with an accident where the other parties insurance company said that their client had not told them that an accident had occurred. Therefore in their opinion nothing had happened and we could be making it all up. So we took the other party to court and Lo and Behold ONE day before the due court appearance, the Insurance company said that they would pay all costs incurred to date, ie solicitors, damage to the car etc, but without predudice or admitting to any wrong doing.

So good luck and take the action that you have said in your post above, maybee when people see that you are serious then they will wake up. I wonder how much business the company has lost ???

• 4 months later...
locksmith - 2011-08-24 8:33 AM

Chascass wrote: ‹ Select › ‹ Expand ›

I wonder if it's worth having protected no claims discount protection because all they do is put the premiums up, we have no way of knowing if it's because of a no fault claim or the new premium rates

Good luck

Charlie

My thoughts also, the premium had already jumped £75 from last year and they said all insurances had increased... now this!

What is protected no claims? it protects the insurance you are claiming from but because you have had a claim and have to declare this, they take it from your other un-related insurances! Protected or not.

Some do and some don't, when you get a quote ask if they increase premiums after a "no fault claim" and they will tell you and then you can vote accordingly (with your feet of course) >:-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
The whole bloody insurance business is a minefield, just this year my household insurance was up for renewal that I had with the Co-op, deciding the premium was a good bit higher that the year before I thought I'd shop around, eventually got the same cover from Bradford and Bingley for half the price, BUT this is the good bit, when the policy came it stated " cover provided by Co-op insurance services" go figure. As for the OP I hope he gets it sorted soon.

spospe - 2011-12-30 3:32 PM

It's now the year end and no result yet?

Legal matters do drag on, but I would have hoped that by now Locksmith would have had a (good) result.

Does anyone know the current state of play?

Locksmith's forum Profile shows that his last logon was on 29 August 2011. This suggests that an update on the incident may not be forthcoming.

I believe Locksmith started the thread(s) about Armitages over on the Wildcamping forum. I've just checked on there and his last log-on was only yesterday evening and his last post was on the 23rd.Dec.

His last posting about Armitages was on the 24th August. Makes me wonder if there is a gagging order.

Archived