Assorted dogs in Duetto

Guest Sylvia

Guest Sylvia
Has anybody tried taking on holiday three dogs in a 2004 Duetto(medium wheelbase)with roll out awning. We have taken two corgis away with no sleeping problem at all for years but have since added a guide dog puppy to the mixture and I would love to have her with us on holiday. Obviously she could sleep on my bed at night but this is against the "puppy walking" rules. She could go into guide dog kennels but it would be a shame for her to miss out on holidays with us. Any ideas??

Ah Sylvia, it would be a real shame for her to miss out on a holiday! I know that there are very strict rules for a guide dog but isn't there somewhere else other than the bed that she could sleep? Apart from the rules, I suspect it may be a little cramped for YOU too?!! We have been away with FOUR dogs (smallish ones) in the past and never go without our present two yorkies! I don't need to tell you what fun it is with dogs as you've obviously taken your corgis - do hope you can work a way to take your guide dog puppy!! Ana xx

I do not have dogs but have a Duetto. This suggestion might be impracticable but have you thought about removing the toilet/shower door and possibly, if you need to preserve modesty,replace it with a fold back curtain. Removing the door should provide extra floorspace while the beds are down and the toilet area should be large enough for a dog. Let us know what you decide

Guest Simon B
When we had our Autosleeper CXL we made a gate so that when the bed was made up, the gate was directly behind it. This then restricted our 2 dogs to the passageway going to the back doors. It did make getting up to use toilet awkward though. We also used this gate behind the front seats when travelling. The gate was made from a wooden child gate picked up for a fiver and reduced in length to fit. It wouldn`t be a holidat without the dogs!

We use a metal child gate at home to keep the dogs out of the bedroom when the door is open to air it a bit - the advantage is that you can move it to wherever you want in the 'van and still open it up to get through should the need arise. You can even put it across one of the open rear doors so that you can have fresh air in the van without the worry of the dogs escaping. The other alternative is some expanding garden trellis, preferably plastic, which I'm sure you could easily secure when necessary and it would take up very little storage space when not required, a larger piece could also be put across the open side door. You'll get some funny looks from people on camp sites thinking you're going to start growing plants up your van though! We were once at a campsite and one of the touring caravans had taken their own hanging baskets to put on the ends of their awnings!!! Twee or what!!!

Archived