Astonished!!!!!

Randonneur

We are going to visit our son for the day in a couple of weeks who is working at Twickenham Studios. We were looking for somewhere just to park overnight as we will have a daytime parking space at the Studios. We emailed The Harlequins Rugby Union team at the Stoop at Twickenham and have just had a reply:

"Dear Martin and Sylvia,

Thank you ever so much for your email to enquire parking in our car park overnight on Tuesday 20th November to Wednesday 21st November.

With regards to your enquiry, we are more than happy for you to park in our car park overnight however there will be a charge of £40 per night to do so.

If you would like to go ahead with this please let me know and I will be able to raise a contract for you.

If you have any questions or queries, please feel free to contact me.

Kind Regards,

Emma"

This is taking the proverbial as we told them we were selfcontained and didn't need any facilities whatsoever. We were, obviously, willing to pay something but £40 pound per night is extortionate. We could stay at Crystal Palace but didn't want to go that far into London.

pepe63 - 2018-11-07 11:30 AM

It's their car park, is it not?...if so, they can ask what ever sum of money they want...

Perhaps the sum they have chosen, is just their round about way of saying b8gger off! ;-)

We had a similar issue a year or two back. Went to a friend's wedding reception in a hotel and as we were going on after that in the MH thought we would ask if we could stay overnight in their car park (bit cheeky I know, but if you don't ask you don't get). Anyway, they came back to me and said yes, the cost would be £50 !!!! Needless to say, we declined and decided that we would leave a bit early and wildcamp for the night before moving on with our trip.

We have had a completely different experience this year when taking the van to our niece’s wedding. She successfully negotiated free parking for our van at her wedding venue, which was The Oaklands Hall Hotel near Grimsby. If anyone lives near there and is looking for a wedding venue I cannot recommend it highly enough. The standards of service were exceptional and they appreciated that it costs them nothing to allow a campervan to stay overnight in a parking area. They were savvy enough to realise that they have already made enough profit from the wedding and that charging for our overnight stay would be akin to "taking the mickey".".

La Hobo - 2018-11-07 11:16 AM

There is a C&CC site at Chertsey which is only a few miles away. You, of course have to be a member but can join on site, I believe.

My OH and I are long term members of the C&CC. It is our understanding that club sites are not restricted to members only. Non members are however required to pay a pitch fee, which is waived for members.

Site entrance sign boards typically carry the words "Non members Welcome", we after all "The Friendly Club".

Alan

Alanb - 2018-11-07 1:35 PM

La Hobo - 2018-11-07 11:16 AM

There is a C&CC site at Chertsey which is only a few miles away. You, of course have to be a member but can join on site, I believe.

My OH and I are long term members of the C&CC. It is our understanding that club sites are not restricted to members only. Non members are however required to pay a pitch fee, which is waived for members.

Site entrance sign boards typically carry the words "Non members Welcome", we after all "The Friendly Club".

Alan

Yes Chertsey is where our Son has his caravan sited at the moment, he normally uses Walton on Thames site but it is now closed for the Winter. We just wanted somewhere closer to the Studios because of travelling time. Did find Apps Court Farm at Walton on Thames and that could be a possibility.

Archived