Auto Trail Camera removal

crbtaylor

Hi all, I bought a twin camera system with mirror monitor for my AT Delaware. Got the monitor in, powered and cables ran to the back of the van. I was originally going to mount the camera under the factory fitted one on the back wall. Then I thought why not replace the existing single lens with the double but how do I remove the panel that the exising camera is in? It appears to be glued in with mastic but despite carefully cutting the mastic the panel refuses to budge, Any one ever attempted to remove the panel?

crbtaylor - 2013-04-26 8:47 AM

What a great idea,

If (as I understand it) you've bought a twin-lens camera designed to provide long-distance looking-backwards when driving forwards and short-distance looking-downwards when reversing, you may find that mounting the camera lower down in the spare-wheel housing will compromise its capability.

Have you asked Auto-Trail about removing the existing camera-cover? It may well be that fairly brutal methods are required to remove the cover if the factory-fitted camera needs accessing. It might even be that the cover will unavoidably be damaged during the removal process and, if an Auto-Trail dealership needs to get at the camera, the dealership will fit a new cover as part of the procedure.

Teke your poiny about height. Have spoke to Autotrail and they advice it is possible to cut it out but general easier to break it and replace with a new panel so have one on order just in case! After previous dealing with Swift I must say AT are much more helpful and able to supply parts direct, without going through a dealer. Will let you know how I get on,

I am pleased you have taken Derek's advise on the mounting height of the camera. If the camera is mounted lower down you run the risk of having blind spots at each corner of the vehicle. If you reversed into a post the cost could be more than a new camera cover.

Just to clarify, I still use the original A/T camera as a reversing camera. The additional camera is used whilst driving forward and is sighted near to the top of the spare wheel cover. I can guarantee that this provides excellent rear view visibilty. This is a bullet type camera and if I remember cost less than £20 off ebay.

Had exactly the same job on my 2 yrs old AT D'Ware a couple of weeks ago , viz: replaced the single camera with a twin unit- I tow a trailer and wasn't content with "mirrow view"!

The work was carried out by a professional ( Leisure Technocal Solutions- Simon Burke) but it was a nightmare as AT had been "over-generous" with the glue which meant a new panel. The camera (original) was fitted on an downward facing area which is fine for a "tow ball" view but not an elevated view!

When you have fitted the combined-lens-unit broad test it before refitting the cover as once it's in you can't adjust the lens!!

Excuse script but I'm out of the country on an iPhone. I was disappointed at AT's factory fitting of the camera lens - it

Must have been a Frid pm and they wanted rid of the glue; German in future!

Archived