AutoAid for Motorhomes?

DavyS

I have breakdown recovery insurance for my car with AutoAid. It includes both my wife and I driving and all my vehicles up to 3.5t. So my motorhome is covered. I have therefore decided to remove breakdown recovery from my Comfort insurance.

Has anybody had any experience of breaking down and calling AutoAid?

An AutoAid Breakdown Recovery policy document can be viewed here

https://www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/AutoAid-Policy-Booklet-December-2016.pdf

The “Definitions” Section (Page 7) includes the following

The vehicle / your vehicle – a saloon car, hatchback, estate car, car derived van or motorcycle over 150 cc's. Motorised caravans can be covered provided they are under 2.5 tons gross vehicle weight and with an engine capacity of no more than 2500 cc, which is being driven by either you, or your legal spouse or civil partner.

I took out AXA breakdown recovery for the car last year. I thought a well established company like that should be good ... wrong.

The service was atrocious, in fact 2 weeks later I am still waiting for assistance. :D

With a bit of help I got moving again, they showed no interest at all after they lost the phone connection.

Derek Uzzell - 2021-02-17 6:43 AM

Motorised caravans can be covered provided they are under 2.5 tons gross vehicle weight and with an engine capacity of no more than 2500 cc, which is being driven by either you, or your legal spouse or civil partner.[/i] [/b]

Derek, Thanks for spotting that; I had misread the small prints as 3.5t limit. So I will either need to re-instate the Comfort breakdown insurance at £65 or find a breakdown insurance which will cover my car and 2.9t motorhome. But you have saved me from a possible future difficulty.

Although the C&MC’s “Mayday” breakdown cover has no motorhome size or weight limits, the standard Green Flag cover’s terms and conditions evidently restrict a motorhome’s weight to 4 metric tons (4,000 kg) in total, (including any load being carried) and its dimensions to 7 metres long (apart from a tow bar or coupling device), 3 metres tall, and 2.55 metres wide.

This shouldn’t bother you or DavyS, but there are plenty of motorhomes that those weight/size maxima would affect.

Archived