Autosleeper Nuevo lighting and toilet flush - response

Guest Neil Baker

Guest Neil Baker
Many thanks to the responses so far, some of which are helpful. The dealer is sure the design is based on EEC rules which were hatched 3 years ago. I want to use a 12v feeder to run a small Satnav device avoiding plugging into the cigarette lighter and to keep it running all day during meal stops etc. I first tried using a branch from a light fitting, and of course then realised that the lights don't work with the engine running. I think the easiest way will be to run a fused line directly from the leisure battery. Brian - thanks for the lecture. I'm sure you will have a great future in thinking for other people and making new useless rules. Neil

Guest roger s
Ah well if thats what you want it for quite a few AS owners have run a feed from under the fuse box and come up at the end of the dash by the passenger door pillar then fitted a cigar lighter type socket

Guest Brian Kirby
Sorry Neil Now, if you'd just said what you really wanted the first time.............! You don't say what your base vehicle is. However, many do have a separate 12V socket in the cab area for running auxilliary appliances. If yours has, you could use that: they usually remain live at all times. Check, though, whether you should get a stabilised 12V supply, which may be the case unless your sat nav is purpose designed for operation on car electrics (e.g. PDA based). If it isn't, and you don't, you risk terminally damaging the unit. You'll need a socket of some sort to connect to so, if your cab has a cigarette lighter, why not tap the supply to that? They normally come out quite easily, and you can then run a feed off the live cig lighter terminal to the new 12V socket for your sat nav. That should remain working whether the engine is running or not, so your sat nav will keep running when the engine is off, as well (like meal breaks). Sorry my humanitarian concerns caused such offence! Maybe I was as serious as you were :-) Take care Brian

• 2 weeks later...
I happened on this thread by chance... The reason for a UK-manufactured motorhome's 'caravan' 12V electrical system being isolated when the vehicle's motor is running is (as Peter B suggested) to ensure EMC (Electro-Magnetic Compatibility) compliance. The practice is at least 10 years old (my 1996 Herald was fitted with a 12V system isolation-relay) and, to the best of my knowledge, is found only on UK-built conversions. The EMC issue was raised on the original MMM forum (data no longer available) and Clive and I both did some investigation. From what I recall the conclusion was that the 'turn-it-all-off' technique shouldn't have been necessary to begin with and that UK converters continued to use the practice out of habit rather than necessity.

Neil

Since your Nuevo is Sevel based, I guess the 12v socket and cig lighter don't work with the ignition off.  I had thought they might be unswitched.

If the leisure battery is sited near the front, your proposal will probably be the simplest way out. 

If the leisure battery is at the rear, it may be easier to run the supply from the starter battery instead.  Autosleepers may be able to help with advice, they have a good reputation for customer care.  Alternatively, try your Peugeot service agent. 

All you really need is a relatively short, fused, lead from the starter battery to a new socket on the dash or (if the Peugeot cab has this), to the existing 12v socket - replacing the original switched supply provided by Peugeot.  If the latter, the original lead will just need an insulated termination to guard against possible shorts.  For safety, you'll almost certainly need to disconnect at least one of the main battery terminals - probably the neutral but do check first!  If in doubt, contact an auto electrician familiar with the Sevel vans.

Derek,s memory is spot on. I re-wired the "Habitation Relay" on our Scout so it only turns off the water and waste tank level alarms. This after initially just removing it. The racket when you corner or brake only went off once!

Archived