Autosleeper pvc

snail

Hi all, can anyone point me in the direction of model range and base vehicle choices for the 2002 to 2008 listings anywhere to make comparisons

Particularly rwd transits sitting at 6 metres, were there specific models only built on Ford and different ones on Peugeot any fiat or Mercedes?

I tried looking on owners club but have to be member

Thanks Brian

Firstly Fiat are only used for Automatic as Peugeot don't do them.

On Peugeot you have Nuevo, Pollensa built with Styrofoam and Executive and Talisman with Monocoque bodies.

On Transits you also have Pollensa and Windsor and Eton with Styrofoam bodies.

I don't think Mercs were used pre 2008 except for Medallion with monocoque body.

VW were used on Clubman and Gatcombe with monocoque bodies.

There must be some I've missed but all those I think are sub 6m.

AS made several versions on both Peugeot Boxer and Ford Transit base vehicles although more were made on the Peugeot which I personally felt drove a bit better than the Ford - but it is a personal preference.

There are certainly a lot more Peugeot vans available so if you see a layout you like there might also be a similar Ford variant

Rather than get bogged down with what might be available have you looked at the various vans shown on Auto Trader and other websites where you can compare different van layouts.

We used to have an AS Warwick Duo (Peugeot 2.2 hdi) which at 6.0 metres worked well for us 2 and a lively border collie and it drove very well - even at 80 mph (in Germany!)

The 2.0 hdi was a little less powerful but still worked OK on a compact van like the Symbol.

At the end of the day getting the right layout is, in our view, more important than the base vehicle.

snail - 2020-08-17 3:06 PM

...I tried looking on owners club but have to be member

Thanks Brian

Besides the Auto-Sleepers Owner's Club (ASOC)

https://www.asoc.uk.com/

there is an Auto-Sleeper Owners Forum (ASOF) that is free to join

https://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/

You may have to ‘fake’ ownership of an Auto-Sleepers motorhome when registering, but that’s not difficult.

Auto-Sleepers always built Ford Transit-based models on a rear-wheel-drive chassis and the only PVC design would have been Duetto.

On the front page of the owners club website there is a link (without joining) to a list of all models eligible to join the club. It only lists model name and chassis , nothing more than that , no sizes or layout, but may be helpful in narrowing down your list.

paulmold - 2020-08-17 4:43 PM

Firstly Fiat are only used for Automatic as Peugeot don't do them.

On Peugeot you have Nuevo, Pollensa built with Styrofoam and Executive and Talisman with Monocoque bodies.

On Transits you also have Pollensa and Windsor and Eton with Styrofoam bodies.

I don't think Mercs were used pre 2008 except for Medallion with monocoque body.

VW were used on Clubman and Gatcombe with monocoque bodies.

There must be some I've missed but all those I think are sub 6m.

There seems to be some confusion on this thread. The heading is "Autosleeper pvc" (ie panel van conversions).

All the models you quote are coachbuilt not pvcs

The opening post doesn't seem to refer to pvcs either.

Perhaps some clarification is required by "snail".

Thanks everyone, yes pvc is what I'm interested in, downsizing now only short trips max 90 days!

Can anyone tell me when autosleeper started to fit lpg tanks, I don't want one with a tank

It's a hard decision to sell the hymer having owned it from new 07, but something more dual purpose is required and 6 metres to enable easier parking

We have a late 2008 AS Symbol ES on a Peugeot Boxer (which doesn't have an lpg tank).

At 5.65 m length, including a rear step (approx 5.4 m length vans that don't have the step) we have found it an ideal multi-purpose vehicle. It's been our sole vehicle from new and the longest trip we have done is eleven and a half weeks. Being the ES model the off side settee turns into another fully belted travel seat, meaning that 4 people can travel in the van.

We changed our Warwick Duo pvc for an Executive Anniversary model (only 50 made).

Identical mechanicals and drove well and a huge improvement in living accommodation for no extra length and minimal extra width and height.

That was the nearest we ever got to our perfect van

snail - 2020-08-18 11:33 AM

...Can anyone tell me when autosleeper started to fit lpg tanks, I don't want one with a tank...

I'm 99% sure that no Auto-Sleepers model built from 2002 through 2008 will have had an LPG tank as part of its original specification.

(If you MUST have an Auto-Sleepers motorhome and want fine-detail information, you might want to contact Cotswold Motorhome's at Twigworth as they've been A-S agents for 30 years or so.)

If, as you say, you want the van for trips of up to 90 days you might find an Autogas tank on a compact van works well both as a longer term gas supply and as a removal of internal gas storage space - it did for us - especially if you venture abroad where Calor is unavailable or if you stay in the UK in cold weather when gas consumption can be high in a relatively uninsulated pvc.

Your choice of course but in our experience it pays to keep an open mind and weigh up all the fors and agins for any individual van.

Do bear in mind that the perfect van has yet to be built by anyone and it is more a case of finding the compromises and layout that you can live with.

Tracker - 2020-08-18 1:58 PM

If, as you say, you want the van for trips of up to 90 days you might find an Autogas tank on a compact van works well both as a longer term gas supply and as a removal of internal gas storage space - it did for us - especially if you venture abroad where Calor is unavailable or if you stay in the UK in cold weather when gas consumption can be high in a relatively uninsulated pvc. Your choice of course but in our experience it pays to keep an open mind and weigh up all the fors and agins for any individual van.

Do bear in mind that the perfect van has yet to be built by anyone and it is more a case of finding the compromises and layout that you can live with.

Our pvc has an erberspacher heater which runs on diesel and which we find useless to heat the space. (For one thing, the blower faces the back of the van rather than the living space.) However, using an electric panel heater and/or on very cold nights an electric blow heater we are very cosy in the van. If necessary, the panel heater can safely be left on all night.

Sorry for not reading the title.

Between 2002 and 2008 there were only three models that come to mind - the Symbol on the Peugeot base and the Duetto on the Transit, both have very similar layout. With the Peugeot remember that the base changed in 2006/7 from the x244 Boxer to the x250 Boxer. The third is the Topaz on the VW.

Derek is correct that lpg tanks were not fitted until 2008. I'm pretty sure that Duettos were front wheel drive.

All models have 1 front facing rear seat but only 2 berths. If you need 2 rear passenger seats then you need the ES Symbol (ES standing for extra seat).

Thank you all, yes been in motorhomers since late 70s! Had gaslow for last 12 years and a Spanish bottle, done the 6 an 8 month tours, now spending more time at home and in uk,

fed up with not being able to park of having to buy 2 spaces, or tow the scoot everywhere

I can see the demise of lpg filling stations over the last few years and more to follow with bp and shell going the same way, which is why I don't want a lpg tank

Local dealers don't have anything in stock that interests me, and I'm yet to get an appraisal for the hymer

Early days, yet to convince the wife it's the right way forward, we don't and haven't owned a car for last ten years being mostly away, in uk we use a scooter trailered behind van

To get a fair price I may have to up my game a little maybe around 10,11,12, plate van £30,000 ish seem about right? Which is why i was asking when lpg tanks were introduced

paulmold - 2020-08-18 4:13 PM

...Derek is correct that lpg tanks were not fitted until 2008. I'm pretty sure that Duettos were front wheel drive...

No they weren’t. As I said above

Auto-Sleepers always built Ford Transit-based models on a rear-wheel-drive chassis and the only PVC design would have been Duetto.

Advert for 2004 Duetto here says "Based on the rear wheel drive 125 bhp Ford Transit..."

https://www.motorhomedepot.com/vehicle/auto-sleeper-duetto?make=Auto-Sleepers

When Ford had begun to market a FWD Transit chassis for coachbuilt motorhome construction I asked Auto-Sleepers why they chose not to build on this and was told that buyers preferred the RWD chassis as it was better for towing.

Archived