Autotrail Tracker - tap 'spluttering' problem

william4

We have an Autotrail Tracker and we have a spluttering problem on the water system. I obviously thought that the shurflow pump was pulling in air on the intake side - I changed the filter unit - no signs of air in the pump filter basket when the pump operated. Went iinto the motorhome a couple a days ago (on drive) to investigate further -plugged mains in - switched on charger on Sargent unit and tried taps - no spluttering. checked electronic panel above door which indicated the vehicle battery was being charged -13.8 volts and the motorhome battery 12.1 volts. When on site and I have been trying to solve the problem the motorhome battery was always the one on the charger and showing 14 volts. possibly because the motorhome battery was the one being used constantly. My thoughts are to put a DC 12volt 4 amp voltage stabiliser in the circuit just before the pump.

Any thoughts on my thinking and logic before speculating £25 would be appreciated.

When a water outlet is ‘spluttering’ and the water-pump is a SHURflo product, there’s an air leak in the water system ‘upstream’ (ie. on the inlet side) of the water pump. It may be that air is entering the (10 years old?) pump itself, but I don’t think your voltage stabiliser idea will cure the spluttering.

Well IMO that approach is just a sticking plaster to an underlying problem!

How long has the spluttering being occurring? If since the winter then I would suspect you have frost damage to the pump. We had exactly the same spluttering a few years ago after a winter lay up and after investigation it turned out to be a hairline crack in the pump chamber of the Shurflo pump. It showed up as a miniscule leak from the pump when left under pressure for a few minutes but sucked in air as soon as the pump was running. I managed a temporary repair with thin superglue and then replaced the pump at a convenient time after. The crack was clearly visible on the inside of the pump once dismantled.

Keith.

PS Typing while Derek posted!

I haven't looked at the pump in detail for a hairline crack . As you can well image it is not in the best position - under the cooker bottom pan cupboard - but will give it a try. Thought - if there was a crack on the pump casing- would it not prompt the pump to kick in as it would if there was a leak on the outlet/ pressure side of the system ?

If air is getting into the pump only on its unpressurised side, it shouldn't affect what happens on the pump's pressurised side.

I vaguely remember George Collings (editor of MMM Magazine's "Interchange" section in years past) saying that tap spluttering occurred after he had dismantled his motorhome's diaphragm water pump. The reason for the spluttering was that the screws that held the pump together needed a little extra tightening to obtain complete air-tightness.

Archived