Autotrail warranty - your views

Sydney1

Having identified a quite serious water ingress issue on my 6 year old, owned from new AT, I've received confirmation via the supplying dealer that AT are prepared to honour the warranty and undertake the repairs but they are expecting me to deliver and collect the vehicle from their base in Grimsby.

Do you think this is reasonable, is it common practice?

I certainly wouldn't be expected to take a car back to the factory so currently resisting it.

Not knowing where you live makes it difficult to comment on travel time and distance.

If it were me I would prefer to be involved and talk direct to those who are trying to help me and to stay in my own van once there would be a benefit.

Why not treat it as a mini holiday?

We had to take our van back to Swift under warranty, (from Plymouth. They paid 28 p per mile and supplied a one way one day hire car same again to collect it. This gave us the opera unity to show them the faults on arrival and to inspect it on collection. Might you consider raising this with the. Our Elddis had to go back to the factory Elddis collected it from our local Marquis did a good job of repairing it and delivered it back to Marquis on a transporter both ways.

To add salt to your wound so to speak. Our Autotrail was collected by Autotrail . They drove a man down from the company to Essex but that was an immediate failure three weeks from brand new.

It wasn't what you call water ingress it was flowing in like a bath spilling over .

A lot of Auto Trails are reported as having damp in their garage floors and I believe the factory are replacing them with one made out of a waterproof composite material. You would not get that with a dealer repair. If it is the garage floor that you are having repaired personally I would put up with the expense and inconvenience of returning it to Grimsby.

If you read the small print when you purchased the AT you took those conditions into consideration when you made your brand selection. I would take it back to Grimsby and stay a few days. Lincolnshire is nice this time of year. I would not be too concerned about having your MH carried on a transporter if that was to happen as mine spent two months in the hold of a drive on drive off ship in salt air. On arrival at the port it was then carried by transporter to the dealer. It arrived damage free so a trip around UK would not be a big deal IMHO. Hope all goes well and your issues are resolved then you can enjoy your motorhome. Cheers,

• 4 years later...

We are trying to get our Auto Trail Imala repaired under the ingress of water warranty.  The claim has been accepted but getting it repaired is something else.  Nearly twelve months on we are no further forward with stories of parts being unavailable etc etc.  We now don't just have damp in our roof cupboards but water is actually coming in every time it rains.  

Archived