Auxiliary battery charger on EBL99

Deffheads

Hi, Has anyone used the auxiliary socket on an EBL99 for a suitable AGM battery charger? I am curious as everyone on there says AGM are unsuitable for motorhomes as there charging requirements are different. I had to fit a AGM battery as the gel replacement was not available until November, I was in Spain in October. The battery fitted is an ODESSY PC2250 [expensive but no choice] other than relcating battery from under passenger seat.

....before Schaudt reacted to the perceived/reported issues with the standard Gel/Lead Acid switchable charger and released units with specific AGM regimes, many manufacturers delivered 'vans with electrics such as the EBL99 with AGM batteries set on the Gel charging regime.

Whilst I would agree that some people have reported longevity issues, I've run such a set up for three years with no problems, and it appears others have done so too. Given that a separate charger is going to be a not insubstantial investment, (a suitable Schaudt LAS1218-2 BUS auxiliary unit will be in excess of £200 - though there may well be cheaper, non-Schaudt alternatives)) you might want to consider giving it a run with the existing charger, and replacing the battery with another Gel one if and when you get issues.

Though the Oddysey battery is certainly an expensive unit, a decent sized Gel replacement can be sourced for not much more than the Schaudt auxiliary charger.

I don’t currently use the aux charger socket on my van’s EBL29.

I have used an EBL29 with a Banner AGM battery for over 5 years and had no problems with the battery or its performance even though the EBL battery select switch is in the “gel” position as the EBL29 is not optimised for AGM.

I have read all the scare stories, the fear, uncertainty and doubt kicking around about AGM not being suitable for motorhomes and believe none of it. AGM batteries are suitable for motorhomes as long as the appropriate charging regime is used, the battery is not persistently left in a discharged state etc.

The Odyssey datasheet is comprehensive and it details the battery’s charging requirements. As long as you adhere to the guidance given in the datasheet the battery should prove to be a good investment.

If I had invested in a PC2250 then I would definitely buy an AGM optimised aux charger such as the Victron Blue Smart or the Votronic Pb which enable fast charging of AGM at 14.7V, but I would connect the aux charger directly to the terminals of the battery rather than via the aux socket on the EBL.

A

Archived