Avoiding high bridges in Spain ????

Delfy

Being in a plane is not an issue but high bridges are a real problem!! I’m prepared to add on the miles to avoid them. Hardelot, Milleau, Col de Porteus, etc, done once but never again and the older I am, the worse it is. But not ready to give up on the “ tin tent “ yet.

I’m needing help from my Motorhome family please.

Has anyone got a good route from Santander to Murcia which avoids a high viaduct ? Thankyou

Don't know the others but Milleau can be avoided by coming off the A75 and onto the 809 at the La Cavalerie junction then dropping down into the town of Milleau, but I guess you already know that. And if so you'll know that the route back onto the A75 via the 809 and 911 is slow going. There are at least 2 campsites in Milleau and one is walking distance to the town centre so you could make it an overnight stop.

Fear of crossing bridges is quite common and it's described here

https://www.wikihow.com/Overcome-Your-Fear-of-Going-over-Bridges

I remember coming back to London by train (years ago) from a meeting in Norfolk and a young woman travelling in the same compartment told me that she'd be getting off at a station on the way and did I know if leaving that station meant using a bridge, explaining that she was terrified of crossing bridges.

I don't much care for driving over high bridges, but that's mainly because it's probable that breaking down on the bridge, or being involved in an accident, would be more complicated and dangerous than on a ordinary 'land based' road. Although high and long, crossing the Viaduc Millau didn't much concern me as the edges of its roadway are well shielded from the drop to the valley floor below (and, as Tourope says, one can always sidestep the bridge via Millau town). I'm uncomfortable driving over the Severn bridges due to the exposure (but not enough for me to detour to avoid them) and I really didn't like using the St Nazaire and Le Havre bridges (1st and 2nd images attached below) as both rear up intimidatingly in front of you.

These Wiki links relate to Spain's and France's ' highest bridges

http://www.highestbridges.com/wiki/index.php?title=Category:Bridges_in_Spain

http://www.highestbridges.com/wiki/index.php?title=Category:Bridges_in_France

and by using the former link and the ViaMichelin route planner

https://www.viamichelin.co.uk/

Daphne should be able to plot a no-high-bridges route from Santander to Murcia.

For motorcaravanners, it's low bridges that should be feared, not high ones. (3rd image below)

155872501_StNazaire.jpg.08fe6c1a42034b4d85c92328dd4a9e26.jpg

2068631092_LeHavre.jpg.a37f02978f4f9b1d92a4547911ab1b82.jpg

839803024_broughtonbridge.jpg.331b4962ed6b994aa60127e184d4701d.jpg

If you are so afraid of viaducts I think you have to avoid many countries, certainly Norway but also Italy and even Germany.

Having said that, if you have to go from (I guess) Calais to Santander I don't see why you have to go through Millau (not Milleau) by lengthening the road and not just a little.

And if your destination is Murcia I don't see why you have to go through Santander.

Completely equivalent route for kilometers and travel time, you can stay much further west passing through Bordeaux and Bayonne for example.

Once in San Sebastian, turn south towards Pamplona, Zaragoza and Valencia.

Derek Uzzell - 2022-01-17 8:39 AM

I don't much care for driving over high bridges, but that's mainly because it's probable that breaking down on the bridge, or being involved in an accident, would be more complicated and dangerous than on a ordinary 'land based' road.

I should think that a number of drivers now have similar concerns about driving on the badly named " smart " motorways.

In case of a breakdown now, it is essential that you have it close to an emergency parking area.

Anywhere else is very dangerous.

:-|

Derek Uzzell - 2022-01-17 10:22 AM

Presumably Daphne is planning to travel to Santander by sea via the Portsmouth-Santander Brittany Ferries route, and then travel from Santander to Murcia by road.

Not sure, why then is she talking about Millau ?

The Millau Bridge is designed so you cannot see DOWN only sideways thus negating the fear of heights, my wife suffers this affliction and we have crossed the bridge several times with no screams from her, the information set up under the bridge is well worth a visit and we have overnighted here several times in our van , there is /was 2 Aires in the town too?

mtravel - 2022-01-17 10:03 AM

Derek Uzzell - 2022-01-17 10:22 AM

Presumably Daphne is planning to travel to Santander by sea via the Portsmouth-Santander Brittany Ferries route, and then travel from Santander to Murcia by road.

Not sure, why then is she talking about Millau ?

She just mentioned she has done that in the past - and wouldn't do it again.

:-|

mtravel

As I read Daphne's posting, she was just providing examples of high places that she did not enjoy in the past. One of these happened to be the Millau Viaduct (but I think the spelling of the other two examples may not be accurate).

Largely academic in any case as Daphne's enquiry was

Has anyone got a good route from Santander to Murcia which avoids a high viaduct ?

Thankyou for your advice and pics!. David you’re right. It is just a straightforward route from Santander to Murcia that we need. The Pamplona route we know, Thankyou, but it would be pleasant to try a new route as we have never used the Santander ferry before. Also, thanks for the well being website, which I have read and taken on board.

Back in the day, when we roamed Europe in a VW T2, there were non of these issues, but then we were YOUNG!!.

ViaMichelin suggests 3 routes from Santander to Murcia (image attached below)

Route 1 is the shortest (507 miles) and quickest with 459 miles using the A1 and A3 motorways.

Route 2 is longer (557 miles) with 392 miles using the A67 and A30 motorways.

Route 3 (via Valencia) has a length of 571 miles with 341 miles using the A67 and A23 motorways.

(I set the ViaMichelin search criteria to avoid toll roads.)

This link may also be of interest

https://wanderlog.com/drive/between/9886/10040/santander-to-torrevieja-drive

830726029_santandermurcia.jpg.20323c462349b4ba7a996f68cebb3948.jpg

Archived