Awnings, pros and cons.

Mike Culver

Guest Mike Culver
Only used the van once and know we would like extra space, should we look at free standing awnings or storage tents ? I know you pays your money and takes your choice but when we 'tugged' the porch awning was more trouble than it was worth, can anybody point us the right direction ? Be lucky

Guest PeteC
Depends on what sot of camping you do Touring ie on the move every 2 - 3 days a storage tent is possibly the best Fixed Site ie staying put for a week or so Then a free standing awning. So that you can go out and leave things in the awning and also have extra living space Winter or Hot sun The freestanding provides extra space and acts as an extra shelter from the cold, or shade out of the hot sun

Guest Sylvia Burman-Hunt
We usually stay on site for about 3 days and have used both free-standing awnings (with previous vans) and roll out awning. I eventually found that although the space and shelter were better, the canvas and poles occupied a lot of van when travelling, had to be properly secured (we used the seatbelt on the rear seat) struggling to erect it in wind and then having to hammer in enough pegs to keep it safe was getting too much for me, as my fellow camper is my mum now aged 88 and I have some structural problems due to riding accidents in the past. Mum valiantly hung on like an anchor while I got the corners nailed down and then set up the frame properly, then reset the corners . . . . We often got offers of help but usually could manage better ourselves because we had done it so often. We are now using a Fiamma, The only time this was a problem was when the wind shifted around and reached gale force with driving rain overnight and I was nearly beheaded by flailing poles when trying to get the Fiamma down and rolled up, which was done in record time with fortunately no damage to the van sides or me! I'm not a happy bunny in strong winds. We have a Fiamma side panel which has been assaulted by scissors and sewing machine as it was baggy (obviously intended for an awning that extends out further) and have just bought a front panel from Foxwell Products (Page 367, April MMM, right hand column)which seems to be of good heavy quality. Re: the MMM guide to servicing garages, this appears every few months in MMM after the Buyers Guide, Spencer and Gilbert are in Southport, and tell me they have about 100 new motorcaravan clients since I recommended them for the list. They are awfully obliging when I need them in a hurry for the car!

Guest Clive
We gave up awnings with caravans (thank God!) several years ago. It needs 2 people to put up an awning and a moderate temper, especially if the weather is a bit naff. If the "helper" is vertically challenged then that's another problem. Biggest problem is if the "helper" doesn,t take orders readily. so I wouldn,t swap our roll out canopy which is a simple one man (sorry "person") operation and if necessary our Safari Room that allows one operative to fit as much or as little as required. While I am "fiddling about outside" the "helper" is getting the coffee on. I comment this solution to the house.

Archived