Awnings, the benefits of side or rear?

Mike Culver

Guest Mike Culver
Evening all, we hope to take delivery of a Auto sleeper Duetto in March, we have caravaned but this our first motor van and are wondering whether first, its worth thinking about a free standing awning and secondly if it should be one on the side or at the rear, I should add that we are having a Omni fitted on the nearside. All advice will be welcome on this or on any matter, one thing that amusies us is the letters we've read about whether you wave/flash to other motorvanners, we think its good as long as you don't use both arms.

Guest Dave Bartlett
In my opinion there is little point in having an awning joined to the van, close by yes, but I dont have the hassle of joining the van via a flap, if it rains run quickly, you wont shrink, the advantage of an awning is the extra storage one gets with the extra room, my wife has only threatened once to make me sleep in the awning, I reformed so was allowed back in the van. Side or rear my way you have the choice, just use it as a pup tent.

Guest Mike Culver
Thanks Dave Barlett for your welcome reply, I'm so pleased you mentioned that you now sleep in the van, perhaps I don't need that awning now!!! Take care and be lucky. Mike Culver

Hi Mke We have an awning (freestanding type) and tend to use it mainly as an extension to the living quaters We have a table and chairs in there Where we eat and gernerally relax It provides welcom shade in the hot sun (Winter in Spain & Portugal We also have a small (I call it a bike shed) store tent that we take if we are going to be changeing venues regularly The awning is close by the tent On the side (on most sites a rear awning would prove to make the unit too long to fit in. We couple the awning to the van to make it a complete unit & reudce drafts Reversing alongside the awning is no problem. Mostly we have at least two wheels on blocks As we roll the van off the blocks we place them alongside the wheel, almost touching; then when you reverse in you just come allongside the blocks. Then move them to the rear of the wheel and you are back in place You dont have to be too accurate as there is normally pleanty of fabric in the flaps We use a breathable ground sheet in the awning and we have fitted an extra zip to the front panel, so that; you have a choice of which way round to park We woundnt be without ours

Guest Mike Culver
Evening All,esp.David, Clive and Pete for replying to my questions, a bit basic but for a first timer its good to have those who have done it, read the book got the tee shirt etc to have an input, all relies we will take on board, so as you pull onto the site and see a Duetto with every concievable gaget around his van you will know who it is !!, talk of warm weather in Spain and Portugal at this time of the year does make us feel that we should have done this before,perhaps next year, but we are venturing over to France in June and I'm sure it will not be the last time, we wish you all safe and warm touring this year. Mike Culver.

Archived