Awnings

Guest phil

We have a proper sidedoor awning which as you say takes too long and requires too much storage space. (We have a Trident) We bought a "kitchen" tent in Spain, big enough to pu towo comfy chairs & table with big sunflap- only (approx 6x4feet) but can stand easy. They sell them also in some Carrefours in the southern half of France nearer to Spain. The Spanish are canvas and Cheaper (only €99 3 years ago). But again depends on your van and your moving frequency!

Guest PeteC
How long it takes to put up an awning depends more upon the ability of the people concerned to repack the awning in a way that makes it unfold over the frame in a proper sequence And upon the people concerned to by able to work together and not against each other This is the reason why we will refuse any help from other parties to put up our awning (and its one of the largest free standing awnings on the market) First lat out the poles in order. Erect the lower part of the frame Then unfold the canvas in a position to unfold it over the poles Fasten the top to the poles at each corner Connect up the lower parts of the legs Lay out the tent pegs Then go round in sequence:- corners, two ends, front, back, about 1/2 hour By the time the last peg is in positionthere is a cup of tea ready and a meal has been started Not bad for two pensioners

Guest Clive
We gave up awnings with caravans (thank God!) several years ago. It needs 2 people to put up an awning and a moderate temper, especially if the weather is a bit naff. If the "helper" is vertically challenged then that's another problem. Biggest problem is if the "helper" doesn,t take orders readily. so I wouldn,t swap our roll out canopy which is a simple one man (sorry "person") operation and if necessary our Safari Room that allows one operative to fit as much or as little as required. While I am "fiddling about outside" the "helper" is getting the coffee on. I comment this solution to the house.

Guest Mike Culver
I would like to thank the 'Honorable Gentlemen.' above for their advice and tips all of which we shall take on board, going away at the weekend and will see how we get on with the rollout, as usual wil keep you posted. Good weather has been ordered.

• 3 months later...
Guest henry
interesting reading regarding awnings, we were unaware that storm straps a) existed and b) how to use, as a result our brand new fiamma awning is a bit on the sick side! a surprise storm came up in France adn took our awning apart. Just a little warning for newbies like us, don't leave it out, regardless of the weather!. Can anyone tellus, can an awning be left safely with a storm strap? Can a strap and a safari room be used? Many thanks Henry

Archived