BATTERY WRITE-UP!.

Earthmover

Happy new year to every one!!..

hI,

In the February 2019 issue (215) of Practical motorhome there is an article by one Sammy Faircloth on batteries, which in parts is very informative, However at the very end he goes on recommend The NCC leisure battery scheme and to look out for the logo. Anyone who logs on to this Web site knows that serious doubt as been cast on the facts, the scheme is based. You would think that the Editor would be more informed.

Cheers EM.

Don’t talk to me about batteries. A poster asked on another sleepy forum about fitting a second leisure battery. In trying to help I posted a link for them to aandncaravans web page on the very subject as I regard them as probably the best people to ask. Another forum member told us in no uncertain terms they the information was WRONG, as he put it and went on to say that the web site was mis informed and had reached the wrong conclusions. This was backed up by his chums who run the forum who I feel were disrespectful to say the least. The thread was eventually locked. I’ve decided to leave the forum. Some might say I’m being over sensitive. I believe life is to short to put up with that sort of crap from a forum. I know it can get a bit tasty on here but apart from the odd spat it’s not bad. It’s a good thing to question advice given if you think it is misleading or just plain wrong but that’s no reason to be abusive.

Earthmover - 2018-12-31 10:14 PM

Happy new year to every one!!..

hI,

In the February 2019 issue (215) of Practical motorhome there is an article by one Sammy Faircloth on batteries, which in parts is very informative, However at the very end he goes on recommend The NCC leisure battery scheme and to look out for the logo. Anyone who logs on to this Web site knows that serious doubt as been cast on the facts, the scheme is based. You would think that the Editor would be more informed.

Cheers EM.

There are a lot of on-line references to the NCC Verified Leisure Battery Scheme

https://tinyurl.com/y8udt8mj

The Scheme’s aims are laudable, but its real-world applicability has always been questionable as it was never (until quite recently) stated how data about the batteries listed on the Scheme’s website were acquired.

As far as I’m aware, the Scheme has only been discussed in depth - and with no holds barred - on this forum, with Allan of A & N Caravan Services being the driving force and with critical analysis of the Scheme being provided on his business website.

http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/campaign-for-battery-change.php

Sammy Faircloth is female and her background is given here

https://caravanwritersguild.org.uk/members/individual-member/

I’ve not read her article in Practical Motorhome (PM) but if it is (as you’ve said) very informative in part, I suggest you are being a mite over-critical about it recommending the NCC scheme. After all, this website still carries an entry about the Scheme that makes no reference to its limitations.

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/articles/practical-advice/choosing-a-ncc-verified-battery

If you really think Sammy Faircloth’s article should have been given a more thorough ‘red pen’ treatment by PM magazine’s Editor

https://www.practicalmotorhome.com/news/104368-new-editor-in-chief-for-practical-motorhome

regarding the article’s NCC-Scheme recommendation, why not email PM about it and/or complain on the PM forum?

Derek, happy New Year to you, and all.

I really admire how you can be so balanced, your assessment of the above is excellent and impartial. I get so passionate about things sometimes I can't see past the tree in front of me.

You have a remarkable ability to comment without bias and of course your conclusion that people should make their voices heard if they want change is the best way we have of bringing balance.

May you have a really good 2019 and I hope you continue to help as many people next year as you have in 2018.

As said above, this is the best forum, because of the people on here.

There are so many helpful, skilled and knowledgeable people who are also nice, You are amongst the top 10, in my view.

We have said lots about the NCC Verified battery scheme in the past, which is being tackled by the government departments as you read this, but more slowly than expected.

I won't go on about everything again, but for me one of the batteries the NCC 'Verify' says it all with it's Trading Standards busting claims on the label, it's model name that breaks the NCC's own rules, it's ultra short life, etc.

If you want to see what I mean take a look at the "Campaign for Battery Change" web pages first few paragraphs starting just above the picture of a Platinum battery : http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/campaign-for-battery-change.php

Please do make your voice heard.

When the Trading Standards big brother finishes their testing of batteries "Verified" by the NCC scheme we think there will be lots of questions asked.

I had hoped that would all happen in 2018, but now looks set for some time before Easter 2019.

That might mean plenty of time to write letters to magazines asking awkward questions?

Thank you Derek,

First apologies to Mrs, Ms, Miss Sammy Faircloth, i did wonder. An aquaitence of yours perhaps ?.I did not criticise her artical only the reference to the NCC battery scheme recommendations, in view of the testing going on, thanks to the efforts of ancaravans.

I do not subscribe the practical motor home magazine or forum and i am not a professional poster, but will write to the Editor and tackle them at the NEC show in February.

In the mean time keep up the good work.

Cheers Em.

Archived