Back Box

Guest Mike Coles

Guest Mike Coles
I intend to fit a back box, such as the small Fiamma ultra box, onto the rear door of my A/S Symbol. I know that it can be fitted either using a bike rack or a wall mounting kit. However, I have seen somewhere that a fixing kit that does not require drilling is available. Can anyone please advise me about this. Regards

Guest Mike Culver
Evening Mike, Re the back box on your van, I have the plans [ all credit to Sid who me met in Northern Spain ] for a back box that can be fitted to the rear step, it has to be made up but having seen one I know it works and looks okay, I intended to fix one to our Duetto but we are changing 'homes' in March next so it will not be needed, I'm no good at sending things over the net. if we can think of a way I would willingly send it to you. There is out there a firm that sells a box that goes on a tow bar, looks very good but very expensive. If I can help you have my e.mail. Regards and be lucky. Mike.

You may be interested to know that a Chris Smith wrote an article for MMM – Motorcaravanning Matters, January 2001, titled ‘A BOX BEHIND’ Sporty Trailers of Gainsborough ( 01427 811116 ) produced a made to measure back box for his Auto Sleeper Duetto. The box was painted to match his vehicle and also fitted out internally to suit his requirements. It appears that Chris was more than pleased with the result. p.s. I have no connection with Sporty Trailers.

Guest Davud Powell
Hi Mike...Ref:- auto-boxcarriers, Next Time you are up we can have a look in my 'van, and I am pretty sure we will find the paper work on the above back boxes. I picked them up at Malvern, I can't remember but I may have showed to you already? They are quite big 'fore and aft' but your back axle being well back like yours is should be ok trim wise, and they lift off so you don't have to take it out for the day if you don't need the contents.

morning mike, like you i have been thinking of a back box. i have a small fiamma box but intend fitting it on the l/hand door,if fitted high up you eliminate blocking the only rearward vision through the van & the need to resite the number plate. i think if you look in the fiamma catalogue you can find some fitting bars that clamp over the edges of the doors,if i remember righly they are a pair sold fairly long that can be cut to suit.i intend making my own from square alloy tube as the wall mounts don't span the window. as an aside a stick on mirror on the right hand side of the windscreen gives good vision past the blind spot of the toilet,really brilliant addition in france etc.

I have a Fiamma back box on my Duetto by way of a Fiamma bike rack. Drilling is involved. Unfortuneately you can only fit these to the right hand door so blocking the rear view is the inevitable result. If fitted to the left door, even when unloaded, you would not be able to open either of the rear doors because the wheel supports would overlap the right hand door. If like me you spend several months away in Europe a back box is in my view a very useful accessory in a high top where storage is at a premium. In addition to a back box I carry 2 bikes on a tow ball mounted bike rack. Weighing the vehicle at a weighbridge confirms that fully loaded the loading on the rear axle is within the maximum design limit of my Transit.

Archived