Bailey Motorhome moisture problem

VJN

Hi there, I have just taken my 2 year old Bailey motor home to have its annual habitation check completed. The dealer have discovered an area of 60 - 70 % moisture in a back corner of the floor, and have accordingly notified Bailey for new parts/warranty works etc...

Given the general understanding that for readings "Over 30% – severe structural damage may be occurring" Can anybody advise the method of rectification of this type of situation and what ongoing issues should I expect Bailey to undertake to cure this issue fully ?

Many thanks

Russ

2 years old.

I’d be fuming. I can’t imagine what’s gone wrong to have such an high reading.

A few years ago I purchased a new French high cost MH

It had 32 faults and I stupidly allowed the manufacturer to do the repairs.

It was never any good and I disposed of it and lost a fortune 2 years later.

I would just be wary of what repairs are carried out and will it be a permanent fix.

We had a similar issue with a Bailey 740 Approach - dealer got it returned to the factory for repair, and when it came back the problem appeared to be resolved. (There were other issues where Bailey didn’t seem to know how to reassemble their van properly!)

So don’t panic. But we did make sure to get rid before the 6 year damp warranty expired!

Bailey since 2013 , had a high reading around the bathroom area , work undertaken by A and E Leisure Northwich ( warranty and a stunning company , never less than perfect workmanship n service ) , problem solved with absolutely no recurrence .

Should of bought German blah blah blah ......... :-D

...Based on the elevated levels of moisture, can anybody explain what will probably need to be done ? I've got a horrible vision of the floor being sodden through its depth and permanently damaged, requiring a replacement floor (and all that that entails) :-( :-( :-(

.. or is it more straightforward that that ?

Russ

VJN - 2018-09-14 2:52 PM

...Based on the elevated levels of moisture, can anybody explain what will probably need to be done ? I've got a horrible vision of the floor being sodden through its depth and permanently damaged, requiring a replacement floor (and all that that entails) :-( :-( :-(

.. or is it more straightforward that that ?

Russ

Nobody will be able to answer that without seeing it. It could need major surgery, perhaps involving replacing part of the floor, but it could equally be an easy fix as Billggski suggests. One corner of my van was very wet shortly after I got it, which turned out to be because the plug for the tip-up washbasin had fallen into the collecting trough, blocking the outlet and causing water to run down the back of the unit and under the shower tray. Simple to fix and once the floor dried out all was well. Wood doesn't rot immediately on contact with water so, as it's only a year since a satisfactory damp check, there's probably a fair chance that it hasn't done any serious damage. All you can do at this stage is keep your fingers crossed and wait.

Thanks Billggski, but its not near the shower or Kitchen sink. Strange thing is there is no visible surface water in the area I've been notified of, in fact its very very dry on the lino under the rear seating, and no wetness on the sealed edges. As you say ill just have to wait and see, but its just nagging, especially as it continues to poor with rain outside.

*-) *-)

Much appreciate the responses.

You don't say which model Bailey you have VJN, but as you mention rear seating I'm guessing that it may be a 765 or a 625? If so there have been a number (too many) instances of water ingress through the rear locker door. Sadly condition/dryness above the vinyl/lino isn't a good indicator of what can be trapped beneath this impermeable layer which can and does hide a multitude of sins.

I'd suggest that you join the Bailey Motorhome Owners Group on Facebook where there is a lot (!) of experience of this kind of issue among the 3000+ members.

Archived