You are logged in as a guest. 
  Home Forums Home  Search our Forums Search our Forums    Log in to the Forums Log in to the Forums  register Register on the Forums  

Forums ->  Motorhomes -> Motorhome Matters
Jump to page : First 1 Last
Format:  Go
Basic Spanish
AuthorMessage
userMikeandthewife
Posted: 17 January 2021 6:04 PM
Subject: Basic Spanish

Pops in from time to time

Hi all
With still some time on my hands before that hopeful trip abroad again, I was thinking of learning a bit of conversational Spanish, i dont want full blown conversations on politics, etc, but I do want to go a bit further than just learning basics, like good evening, or can I order a beer please, (although that would be a pleasant and enjoyable start).

When you Google the subject, the amount of choices are overwhelming, with various learning groups claiming their approach to be the best, can anyone on the forum, from their personal experience of taking on this challenge, give me some advice.
Thank in advance and stay safe.
Mike
userBS20
Posted: 17 January 2021 6:08 PM
Subject: RE: Basic Spanish

Liking what I've found

Have a look here.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/spanish/
userlaimeduck
Posted: 17 January 2021 6:24 PM

Epic contributor

Try Duolingo
I have used them with French and it's not bad and Free
You go at your own pace

Google www.duolingo.com

Jeremy
usercurdle
Posted: 17 January 2021 6:32 PM

Gets involved

For learning the basics fast, I always found Michel Thomas discs excellent. At a time I was doing business in China, I was Mandarin conversant in months. You can try the introductory disc (downloadable) to see how you go. Then follow up on vocabulary with duolingo. I have learned 3 languages using the same method so I am confident it works.
userTeamRienza
Posted: 17 January 2021 6:58 PM

Keeps coming back for more

I used duolingo extensively during the first lockdown. Sat each afternoon in the Motorhome with a cup of tea and iPad.
It was fine as far as it went, but as you progress it becomes more important to get the grammar, spelling and gender right otherwise you ‘lose a life’ until next day unless you go back on previous lessons to regain time.
I eventually gave it up as it was becoming less relevant to the conversational French I was seeking.

Davy
userpeterjl
Posted: 17 January 2021 7:10 PM

Treasured contributor

Hi

I also vote for Michel Thomas.

I studied Spanish with the Open University to Advanced Intermediate level a
Which included a week at a a Spanish university. I would say that a significant number of students used Michel Thomas to supplement their studies.
It is very easy to lose language skills if not regularly used and I still listen to the dvds 10 years on to refresh my knowledge. There are three sets of discs from beginner to advanced and I am able access through my local library.

Good luck. Spanish is one of the easiest languages to learn and, once learnt, you can also communicate in Italian cos the languages are very similar.

Peter
userMikeandthewife
Posted: 17 January 2021 9:20 PM

Wow, impressive curdle, will take a look at your suggestion, thanks
userMikeandthewife
Posted: 17 January 2021 9:22 PM

Hi thanks, opened link but its says archived, will try find in on Google
userCaddies104
Posted: 18 January 2021 4:27 PM

Epic contributor

Hi
I’m with Jeremy, the App DuoLingo is really good, using it for learning French

Derek
userIMP
Posted: 19 January 2021 9:21 AM

When we were learning Spanish, we tried various different courses. However, Michel Thomas was by far the best and most comprehensive.
userMikeandthewife
Posted: 19 January 2021 4:00 PM

Thanks for replies, mixed views obviously, will have a look and make a choice, interesting about possibility of loaning from the library, didn't realise that.
Mike
user76zedfour
Posted: 27 January 2021 6:55 AM

I have used them all. Michel Thomas, pimssleur, FSI, Paul noble, rocketspanish, notes in Spanish, coffee break Spanish, lightspeed Spanish and loads more. They all have good points and together make a great learning resource but if I had to choose one to recommend it would be language transfer and best of all it's free but welcomes donations. For the life of me I can't understand why it's not better known as quality of content is outstanding. The format is similar to Michel Thomas so those who are recommending that would really benefit from and enjoy using this.

Spanish — Language Transfer

https://www.languagetransfer.org/complete-spanish

Edited by 76zedfour 2021-01-27 6:57 AM
userMikeandthewife
Posted: 27 January 2021 8:30 PM

Hi 76zedfour
Thanks for this info, I'll give it a try. Have you used flash cards and if yes, would you recommend that route as well
Mike
Jump to page : First 1 Last
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)(Return to Homepage)

Any problems? Contact the administrator