Basque region safety

Guest Paul

Has anyone any comments or tips regarding general safety issues in the Basque areas of France and Spain. Also I would appreciate any safty comments regarding the general Madrid and Lisbon areas. Many thanks

Paul, I walked the Camino in October from St Jean Pied de Paul to Santiago. Most of the first few days we were in Basque country and everyone is extremely friendly and helpful. In my experience, most of the Basque people hate ETA. There has been a lot of negative publicity regarding hijackings in Spain, but most of this seems to relate only to the coastal strip between Barcelona and the Costa Dorada. It seems to me that, wherever you travel these days, there is always a possibility of theft, etc., so take the standard precautions and you should be OK: - fit your van with a decent alarm system - always have the perimeter alarm set at night unless you are staying at a secure camp site - check your van carefully before setting out each morning (especially the tyres) - do not stop if flagged down by anyone about whom you have any doubts at all - if subjected to any unwanted aggression, call 112 on your mobile.

Archived