Batteries

Guest Don Madge

Guest Don Madge
I've had my two 85 AMH batteries replaced by two 100 AMH Elecsol Carbon Fibre batteries. I'm unable to lift one of the batteries let alone remove a cab seat and install it underneath so I got a friend Dave Newell (http://www.davenewell.co.uk/) of Dave Newell Leisure Services to fit them for me. Dave is one of the Technical Consultants for MMM Interchange and as Diamond Dave writes a column in Practical Motorhome. Dave has a workshop in Telford and If like me you are unable to do even the simple task due to disability or age he's the man to help you out. There's an excellent site only 400 metres from his workshop and it's only a couple of miles to Ironbridge which can be reached by bus for a day out while your van is being worked on. I checked the old batteries after Dave had removed them and after two years, 30,000 miles and in temperatures of up to 43 degrees C did not need topping up with distilled water. I was a bit concerned as the batteries had never been checked since installed. So, how do the people with the batteries under the cab seats check them? It's one hell of a job removing the seats and in my Timberland the batteries could not be checked unless this task was carried out. Regards Don

Guest PeteC
Hi Don I have heard of Lead/ Acid batteries and Gel Batteries and even Nickel/ Cadmium, But 'Carbon Fibre' I thought that carbon/Fibre was used for constructing things. What is the other plate and the electrolite?????? But aggree the pepole who put batteries into motor vehicles in general put them into places where they are impossible to sevice with out 1/2hour or so removing bit & peices; oh and if its in a mini, getting a bad back just getting to the battery over the boot lid

Guest Clive
Don, Some of the figures shown associated with the graphs on the elecsol web site take a bit of swallowing, especially some of the charging voltages. I smell a bit of cow poo in elecsol,s claims else they are typing errors. However you seem to have found a "Diamond Geezer" to fit them for you.

Guest Brian Ramsden
The problem with servicing batteries installed under seats is usually that the seat can't be slid far enough forward to get proper access. A/S solved this problem on the Peugeot by producing "plate" which allowed you to remove the stops and the rods and ball-bearings, so that the seat would slide forward until it was stopped by the steering column. Is it possible to do some sort of adaptation on your vehicle. Actually, I found that the A/S "plate" was not neccassary. The passenger seat would be more difficult, as you might accidently slide it right off. Perhaps you could devise a new "stop" which would give you sufficient space for access.

Guest Mel E
Don - a warning about Elecsols. I have had both Elecsol leisure batteries and the 'el cheapo' you can buy for about £25 at any m'home show. The el cheapos, just like yours, never needed topping up in over 3 years and worked fine. The Elecsols, under exactly the same use condition in the same m'home, repeatedly gassed themselves almost dry and I was topping them up every couple of months. As you would guess, not impressed! The new van (you'll hopefully see it at the weekend) has two 110/120 ah batteries on a tray under the fridge, mounted on filing cabinet runners for easy access and maintenance.

Guest Don Madge
Mel, I had Elecsol batteries on the Laika for two years with no problems at all, will most certainly keep a close eye on them though. Looking forward to seeing the new van, won't be there till late Friday as we are having the annual habitation check done at Timberland on Friday. Fortunatly the factory is on our way to Lincoln. Don

Guest Clive
Is it possible that Mel E also had a problem with his charging system causing over-voltage? Did the starter battery also require lots of maintenance? Or was the temptation towards these systems that ensure 100% charging to strong for you? These are questions I would like to know the detail answers to. See you at Lincoln over a crepe perhaps for an in depth report?

Guest Terry P
Hi Don I have Electrosol batteries on my Highwayman for 5 years and they have never lety me down but you nave to keep a regular check on the electrolite Terry P

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Terry Peach
Hi Don Sorry for the delay answering your last message been on my Hols No the batteries do not always need water but I may not have mentioned I have a Solar Panel ( 75 Watt ) on my motorhome and I tend to check the cells for water about twice a week when Iam on Holiday because of the charge and Dis charge cycle but it only takes a drop of water even on the sunniest of days Terry P

Archived