Battery Charger Advice Please

John Allen

2015 Auto Trail Apache 700 on X290 chassis

Sargent EC500 Control System

Sargent PX 300 Charger

120 watt solar Panel with Votronic Solar Regulator

Starter and Habitation batteries both Varta LFD 90

Advice need please from our electronic wizards, or anyone else with relevant knowledge who frequents this site.

Van is kept on drive and due to Alarm and Tracker causing a slight drain on starter battery it is necessary to either keep permanently on hook up or keep remembering to restart charger every few days to avoid damaging depth of battery discharge. Not so much a problem in summer with solar but not so good the rest of the time.

I am aware that according to PX 300 manual it puts out a float charge of 13.6V which I know some experts (Allan at A&N) believe can be damaging to the batteries if left on long term.

I also take another battery (not connected to any of the vehicle or habitation electrics) with me as an independent power supply for charging phones and running laptops etc when we are away without any hook up for a few nights. This relieves the strain on the other batteries. When we stop somewhere with hook up I charge this battery with an antiquated CTEK XS 3600 charger which only puts out 3.6A meaning that on an overnight charge it isn’t replacing much.

Question is should I get something like a Victron IP65 15A charger for general use to replace the old CTEK or should I spend a bit more and get a Victron IP22 30 amp single output to replace the Sargent PX 300 and then use the PX 300 as a stand alone charger for the independent battery. This way the batteries would have a float voltage of 13.2 and could be left on permanent hook up without worry of early deterioration.

How difficult would it be to swap out the Sargent PX 300 for a Victron IP22 – I don’t even know where the charger is on my van!! I did exchange the cheap Chinese Solar regulator for a Votronic one, however, including inserting a fuse in the primary supply from the solar panel so I am semi capable.

Thanks, in anticipation of another science lesson from our knowledgeable contributors.

John

John, keeping a battery on long term Solar/EHU when the battery doesn't need charging is not good for a battery.

However, your batteries are never idle, they are working constantly so the 'constant trickle' that would normally go into the battery will be drawn off by Tracker, Alarm and the EC500 you will need to leave 'On' for the Smart charging to route the charge to the Starter battery.

I would just leave the EC500 and the PX300 Charger 'on' all the time.

aandncaravan - 2019-03-31 10:36 PM

John, keeping a battery on long term Solar/EHU when the battery doesn't need charging is not good for a battery.

However, your batteries are never idle, they are working constantly so the 'constant trickle' that would normally go into the battery will be drawn off by Tracker, Alarm and the EC500 you will need to leave 'On' for the Smart charging to route the charge to the Starter battery.

I would just leave the EC500 and the PX300 Charger 'on' all the time.

Thanks Allan, I will probably buy the portable and cheaper Victron IP65 15A charger (need something to replace the 14 year old CTEK 3A) for keeping my separate battery topped up and as an emergency back up device (albeit slightly less powerful)for if the PX 300 ever failed whilst I was away from home. John

Archived