Battery Problem

Grumpyman

The problem I have is that even when I'm hooked up the vehicle battery is slowly losing it's charge. The spilt charger is working ok as far as I know. The leisure batteries are ok. So I'm assuming the battery is on it's way out although only two and a half years old.

The battery was charged via a separate charger and the reading was in the high fourteen volts now has dropped down too twelve two over a period of twelve hours. Comments would be appreciated.

Hi, My engine battery regularly sits at around 12.2v and it always starts the van with no problem so I wouldn't worry about it. You could have it load tested at Halfords just to check the cells and peace of mind. I don't think the COLD weather will help either.

The built in Sargent Charging system should keep both batteries charged and when the smart charging is working it should keep the starter battery charged above 12.2 volts. The Sargent electrical website shows how to check it is working / set ok. in its manuals section / smart charging guide.

buddy - 2020-12-23 3:53 PM

The built in Sargent Charging system should keep both batteries charged and when the smart charging is working it should keep the starter battery charged above 12.2 volts....

The first posting of this 2018 forum thread

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Euro-6-Ducatos-and-smart-alternators-/48494/

suggests that Auto-Trail V-line models then were fitted with a Sargent EC155 Power Control System. If that’s correct (and I’m wary that it is) the starter battery would not be charged when the motorhome was connected to a 230V hook-up.

As Allan Evans (aandncaravan) says in his posting of 14 January 2018 8:48 PM further down the thread

"The Sargent EC155 usually has a slow charging 13.8v, single stage, low current mains charger. Units that were typical in the 1980’s.”

and, although it’s possible to select between the leisure or starter batteries to POWER the motorhome's 12V habitation services, Sargent’s EC155 User Instructions only indicate that the integrated 12A battery-charger is there to charge the leisure battery. (There’s no mention of Smart Charging in the EC155 Instructions - this is essentially an old-style ’caravan’ system.)

If David’s V-line does have the Sargent EC155 system, it’s to be expected that the starter-battery won’t be being charged except when the motorhome is being driven, so (as Ninian has said) a voltage reading of 12.2V while the battery is in situ and when the motorhome is parked may not be suspicious. After the starter-battery has been charged via a separate ‘proper’ 14+V battery-charger, when that charger is disconnected the battery’s voltage might well reduce naturally to 12.2V over a 12-hour period.

Presumably the 12.2V reading comes from a reliable multimeter and the reading is taken at the starter-battery’s teminals? And presumably the voltage reading stabilises at 12.2V and doesn’t keep on going down? Is there any suggestion that, when starting the motorhome, the starter-battery’s performance might be below par?

The standard starter-battery of a 2018 Ducato should be a ‘maintainable’ wet-acid type, with removable cell caps. The standard (FIAMM) battery is not known for losing electrolyte, but it might be worth checking the electrolyte level as a precautionary measure.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Topping-up-batteries/54618/

Hi ,

Three things to answer and check first yourself .

1 As Chris points out , Is the Battery loosing charge when removed from the motorhome.(Check readings with a good meter)

2 Does the Battery fail to start the motorhome?? if so take into account as to how long the motorhome has been left standing without starting and a good long spin.

3 As Derek has pointed out , is it actually getting charge when connected (check readings with a good meter)

Regards

B

I had a similar problem with my old van (recently sold) and when took it be serviced mentioned to the garage that van slow to turn over after a few days. He checked the battery and reckoned it was past its best. It was only 3 years old and I thought it was a good quality brand. Service chap disagreed, said it was a budget battery. He fitted a new battery and certainly for the next 4 weeks had no problem starting van. Maybe worth getting the batttery checked as maybe like me you were sold a 2nd rate one.

Archived