Battery Removal

Vik

High all just joined, as new to Motorhomes and forums like this

Can anyone help with the removal of my battery I have a Bailey Approach 470 on a Peugot Boxer .Iv removed the negertive but not to shore about the positive as there is a plate with four connections over the top of the positive terminal do I have to take it off to take out the battery ? Which is completly dead because of the lockdown.

Which meams no central looking so how can i lock the passenger door as no keyhole thanks

Vik

Hi, Yes you'll have to remove the plate completely. Those other connections are fuse links. From memory there's also a RED tag with star headed screws it also needs removed. If you look on Youtube at how to lock your door you'll see a video explaining it.

Thank you for that i can see what to do now as my battery looks like the one in the photo.But my negative termenal isernt covered over as in the photo so should be ok with that.thanks Vik

colin - 2020-06-03 12:55 PM

I'm not sure how many vans have the extra gubbins on -ve, most will have just the single earth lead.

Vans equipped with the battery disconnect (little red button) on the ignition switch/lock will have a negative lead that looks like that..

Colin’s photo above originally appeared in this January 2020 forum thread

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Battery-fitting/54196/

As steve928 has said, the photo shows that the vehicle has Fiat’s “Battery Disconnection Function (BDF)” that adds a supplementary relay and cabling at the battery’s negative (earth) end.

Evidently a BDF was fitted to some Swift Group Fiat Ducato-based motorhomes, but I don’t know if it was offered on Peugeot Boxers and, if so, whether Bailey ever chose to specify it.

The normal ‘without the BDF’ battery arrangement is shown in the attached photo below.

See also this recent forum discussion

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/No-battery/55332/#M650362

In this 2014 MHFun discussion there is relevant advice/photos on battery replacement.

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/x250-cab-battery-change-in-pictures.78883/

(NOTE: Some vehicles have a metal ‘lid’ covering the starter-battery compartment and/or a plastic cover over the battery’s positive (live) connection. The MHFun photos show both a lid and a cover, whereas my 2015 Ducato has neither. No lid or cover is not ‘wrong’ - it’s just the way things are...)

170677257_battery2.jpg.b69b78d41452367ef141c5f7ff0de904.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Vik - 2020-06-14 6:58 PM

Thanks for all the input finely got battery of yesterday . When i I put it back I no il have to recode the raidio.Will the central locking reset its self

Normally I put a small 12v battery across the battery terminals taking care not to ground anything by insulating them..

In your post you said the battery was completely dead so you may as well just get on with replacing it and wish for the best.

In the original posting Vik said that the starter-battery had already been disconnected at its negative terminal.

Regarding reconnecting the motorhome’s starter-battery after it has been recharged by a battery-charger or replaced by a new battery, in my posting of 3 June 2020 1:35 PM above I provided a link to this earlier forum discussion

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/No-battery/55332/#M650362

that carries advice on the correct procedure to be followed when disconnecting/reconnecting a Ducato’s starter-battery. I don’t know what the Peugeot Boxer handbook says about this (if anything) but it would be sensible to follow the procedure that applies to Ducato when the exercise is carried out on an equivalent Boxer.

After Vik’s motorhome’s starter-battery has been reconnected, certain transitory data will probably need to be reset (eg. the date and time that appears on the dashboard display) but basic features like the central-locking SHOULD automatically begin to function as normal.

What happens with the radio will depend on the radio Vik’s Bailey motorhome has.

My Rapido has a Pioneer radio that has no security features, whereas our Skoda car has a security feature that is unaffected by starter-battery disconnection but would require knowledge of an anti-theft code if the radio were to be transferred to another vehicle.

A few days ago my neighbour’s Nissan Micra car needed to be jump-started and, because its little starter-battery was getting old (and had been allowed to go flat several times in the past) she decided to have it replaced at a local garage. Presumably the garage failed to provide an auxiliary electrical power source (as just mentioned by rayc) before the Micra’s battery was disconnected as the radio now needs an anti-theft code to be entered for the radio to work and this code is only made available to a Nissan main dealership. My neighbour told me that one Nissan dealer has quoted £30 for resetting the radio and would need the car for 2 hours, while another dealer has quoted £15 and just needs the car for an 1 hour.

Vik has not said how old his Bailey motorhome is (and I think his vehicle may be an Approach 740 not an Approach 470) but if the radio is the “UConnect" type that’s commonly fitted to Fiats, as with my Skoda car, an anti-theft code may not need to be entered after the starter-battery has been disconnected/reconnected. This 2018 forum entry refers

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/How-to-reset-radio-code/48884/

Finerly got my battery out now for a recharge.Cant find any receipts for a battery with all the paperwork so will get a new one when i can get to move it as still self isolating as its now 7 years old. Thanks for the infomation and your links Derick

Archived