Battery charging, WOT AGAIN!!!

Pete-B

My understanding is that it is preferred (recommended?) to charge AGM starter batteries (in general) via the under bonnet charging terminals rather than direct to the battery posts as this way the charging voltage passes through the vehicle ECU and the charge profile is controlled accordingly? Rather than bypass the ECU by direct charging the battery via the posts

I know this is the case with BMWs... as the AGM battery charge profile changes with age - that is why one needs to code BMW ECUs to recognise a new AGM battery when the battery is changed. If you change the battery and don’t code the car to recognise it, the charging voltage profile is that for an aged battery and will prematurely degrade the new battery

rajohno - 2021-02-27 6:52 PM

most intelligent chargers come with a lead and a 2 pin socket that you wire to the battery and have the socket in a convenient location to plug in the charger unit when needed.

Mine is an Accumate Optimate smart charger which I guess would be OK for the job. It has a low start of 2v and when the battery is charged it swops over to a float charge so can be left on if I should want to.

Pete-B - 2021-02-28 9:25 AM

rajohno - 2021-02-27 6:52 PM

most intelligent chargers come with a lead and a 2 pin socket that you wire to the battery and have the socket in a convenient location to plug in the charger unit when needed.

Mine is an Accumate Optimate smart charger which I guess would be OK for the job. It has a low start of 2v and when the battery is charged it swops over to a float charge so can be left on if I should want to.

That's what I've had on ours for the last 7 years and it's still going strong. I leave the little plug under the drivers seat when not in use.

Archived