Battery charging

Guest Mervyn

Guest Mervyn
I have a disability and use a small motability scooter and a battery powered bike. Both require charging via a transformer. Bike charger details, Input:100-240v 50/60hz 2A, Output:24VDC2A. Scooter charger, Input:100-240V 50/60Hz 0.7A, Output:29.5V-- 1500mA. We like to camp on rally site without hook-ups. Does anyone have any suggestion on how I can charge these batteries whilst on site or via engine while on the move, ie solar, generater, other?

Hi Mervyn lets start and eliminate the alternatives for you 1) Solar will not supply even the lower limit on a regular basis 2) wind turbine are heavy & dont work when there is no wind From the Engine well you can run this whenever you wish via an inverter WOULD BE best used when travelling between sites Generator Would most likely need to have a box round it for silencing, keeping weather off, keeping kids off when on a rally Some groups put a time limit when generators cannot be used The 240 V output can be put straight into your normal adaptor and shuld run both chargers at the same time You shoud also have spare capacity to charge either the van engine via a charger or the leisure battery via a suitable cabe with plugs to connect to van & generator hope this helps

You would do better to get several sets of mobility scooter batteries so you don,t need to charge up when no mains hookup is available. Charge them all fully at home before you leave for the tour. Generators, I had one and soon realised that most campers considered me in non social terms because of the noise. Yes some are quieter than others but they ALL make a racket! We just spent a nice week end at the Malvern show and the single biggest nuisance (apart from me) was a modern super quiet generator that one group started religiously at 8.00 am and ran all day until 10.pm. These maximum hours set by the camp rules. The temptation to attack it was imense! From personal experience two 80 watt solar panels will charge at 5 amps in a dull day and 8 or more on a bright day if permanently mounted flat on the roof. More if you keep them face onto the sun. I have one 80 watt panel on the roof so see half these figues on the ammeter. Hope that helps as well. Good luck

Archived