Battery checks

tonyg3nwl

I decided today to check the habitation and engine batteries to see if electrolyte levels are ok.

Leisure battery has access under one of the bunks, and relatively easy to acces.

All 6 cells were apparently needing levels to be topped up, as it was not able to see any above the plates

Bought some suitable water at Halfords, and used close to half a litre across the 6 cells, maybe a bit more.

Then decided to look at engine battery, accessed under the cab floor.

More difficult to access, and can only gain access to 4 of the cells without dismanteling the electrics connections. The 4 that I can see, are all ok for electrolyte levels! So I am going to assume that the remaining cells are ok.. engine starts ok, and terminal voltage measures ok.

As the van is on permanent hookup at home, should the charger be on all the time, or on a time switch.

The solar panel is showing about 1 amp charge earlier today, slightly less as the clouds appear..

Comments please.

Tonyg3nwl

Tony, if you put that much fluid into the battery then the internal corrosion that usually goes hand in hand with fluid loss is likely to mean the real battery capacity will be severely less than the 100Ah you might think you have?

The burning and degradation to the 'dry' section of the plates will almost certainly be another, separate issue.

All the time the batteries are on Solar charge you won't see how bad they actually are so we suggest you remove them and get them tested with a capacity meter. However suggest you read the bottom of his web page on battery testing before you let a Garage wreck your battery?

Look for the section 3/4 down the page : "A cautionary warning about industry 'Battery testers' and different technologies"

As to the other question about long term EHU/Solar, see this web page : http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/ehu-full-time-yes-or-no.php

Hi, thanks fo the comments, particularly from the "expertise "of Allan.

My van is autocruise Stargazer 2009 vintage, so on board charger must be of that date, and therefore not necessarily compatible with more modern battery chemistry.

If I fitted a battery of the type that Allan recommends, then I presume I would also have to upgrade the charger and solar controller, and maybe the solar panel as well.. !

That is not something that I am prepared to consider, and will simply replace battery with a similar type should it become necessary

I have reinstated the time switch, and limited the time to 1 hour daily.

Tonyg3nwl

tonyg3nwl - 2018-09-21 9:28 AM

Hi, thanks fo the comments, particularly from the "expertise" of Allan.

My van is autocruise Stargazer 2009 vintage, so on board charger must be of that date, and therefore not necessarily compatible with more modern battery chemistry.

If I fitted a battery of the type that Allan recommends, then I presume I would also have to upgrade the charger and solar controller, and maybe the solar panel as well.. !

That is not something that I am prepared to consider, and will simply replace battery with a similar type should it become necessary

Tonyg3nwl

The reason we recommend the batteries we do is because they are suited for ALL Motorhomes and Caravans.

The Varta LFD90 is the kindest battery to both old school power supply/chargers from BCA through to the advanced Sargent EC325. In fact pretty much the only one that will cope with the EC325's 18v.

We think the Yuasa L36-EFB will be almost as tolerant, but has a bit more capacity.

We have been repairing battery chargers for all makes of Caravan and Motorhomes from around the World since 2011. For much of that time we also rebuilt Alternators.

In 2012/2013 we cut open hundreds of Leisure batteries to see how they had fared on different chargers to try and ascertain what killed the batteries and the chargers.

To find out what batteries worked well and those that didn't. Real world knowledge.

We studied Solar and it's affects in a motorhome and were the first to warn against long term connection, years before others added their cautionary words.

So we have extensive combined experience of both Leisure battery charging and batteries, probably more than anyone in the UK.

Sorry if my reply has misinterpreted your expression of expertise in quotes as sarcastic, and your inference we don't have a clue about charging system and batteries and how they are used.

Suggest you actually read the link I pasted above as it explains exactly why the Varta is more appropriate in a motorhome than any other battery around.

Just in case you were wondering, we don't sell batteries or have any ties to Varta, totally independent advice.

If I understand Alans explanation re various batteries, then I am at a loss to understand how chargers and solar panels of 2009 vintage can automatically adapt to the charging regimes which more modern batteries seem to require.

Am I missing something. Does it really imply that I would need to upgrade my solar and battery chargers to suit a battery of tbe types he favours

Tonyg3nwl

tonyg3nwl - 2018-09-22 9:18 AM

If I understand Alans explanation re various batteries, then I am at a loss to understand how chargers and solar panels of 2009 vintage can automatically adapt to the charging regimes which more modern batteries seem to require.

Am I missing something. Does it really imply that I would need to upgrade my solar and battery chargers to suit a battery of tbe types he favours

Tonyg3nwl

Tony,

My understanding is that the Varta LFD90 and possibly the new Yuasa EFB are far more tolerant of the 'old fashioned' charging regime than some of the so called 'Leisure' batteries such as AGM and Gel.

I have been using a Varta LFD90 for seven years and whilst it is only ever lightly discharged it has never been flattened and often left for a month or more without being charged. I have never checked the fluid level as it is truly 'Maintenance free'.

Keith.

PS Has anyone ever had a Varta LFD90 fail and if so what was the failure mode? I'm wondering how long mine will really last?

Archived