Battery reading 15V

AndyLou

Hi All,

Last weekend when the sun was shinning brightly, so the solar panel was working well, we had some problems with the 12V electrics turning off at the control panel.

When I looked the battery was showing 15v which I thought was high.

Is this too high? Is this what caused the electrics to turn off?

I plugged in some phones and an IPad to charge and the voltage dropped and we had no more problems.

TIA

15 volts is too high and as you have found will cause problems with the electrical system. The voltmeter measuring voltage may not be accurate but the fact that there were issues suggests the voltage was too high.

Some solar controllers do not regulate correctly and will cause this problem. Its possible the controller is confused, ( most are dual voltage working ,either 12 or 24 volts). It may be worth trying a reset, disconnect the solar input, or wait till its dark, then disconnect the battery connections to the controller. Reconnect the battery after a few moments and then the solar connections.

If your electrical system is a Sargent system with their controller, then its a known issue, a search will find details.

The problem arises due to a low cost poor quality solar controller being incorporated into the Sargent electrics.

Mike

The Sargent PSU ECxxx is designed to shut off power if over voltage (or under voltage) happens I think at about 15,5v so, as has been stated , The solar controller could be faulty . The Sargent unit only has the solar control built in on later models older ones will have a separate solar controller fitted which may or may not be wired through the Sargent unit but the effect will be the same.

The sargent controller , if this is what is fitted , is rated for up to a 120 watt solar panel and if you have more this it may be the cause of problems.

Archived