Been given crit air sticker 2?

tringy

Hi all I have applied directly on the French website for sticker and been given a number 2 sticker, is that right for my motor home? Its a autotrail Mohawk 2015 150bhp and 4250 maximum weight. Dose anyone know if this is right for my vehicle?. Thanks Tringy.

tringy - 2018-08-02 11:36 AM

OK thanks, I now have been assured thanks, seems opposite to the German numbers. Thanks again. Tringy

My 2016 Autotrail Savannah 150bhp, which is more or less the same as yours, has a Cat 2 CritAir.

Has this changed recently?

I applied last year, and was given a Cat 3 for Euro 5+ but I am over 3.5T. I seem to remember that the >3.5T put me into the class 3.

I am not bothered about it in any case. I spent almost 5 months in France and only seen about 3 cars with these stickers on.

plwsm2000 - 2018-08-03 3:38 PM

I applied last year, and was given a Cat 3 for Euro 5+ but I am over 3.5T. I seem to remember that the >3.5T put me into the class 3.

I am not bothered about it in any case. I spent almost 5 months in France and only seen about 3 cars with these stickers on.

Bet 2 of the cars were Brit's lol :-D

We recently received a class 2 sticker for our X290 based Euro 5 Auto-Trail Apache 700 which is over 3.5t. As you send the V5 scan containing all the vehicles technical detail with the online application it is up to the French authorities to hopefully make the correct class allocation. You might get it changed to class 2 if you challenge it.

John Allen - 2018-08-03 9:15 PM

We recently received a class 2 sticker for our X290 based Euro 5 Auto-Trail Apache 700 which is over 3.5t. As you send the V5 scan containing all the vehicles technical detail with the online application it is up to the French authorities to hopefully make the correct class allocation. You might get it changed to class 2 if you challenge it.

I think they got yours wrong John!.

Just been on the critair web page and there is a statement about motorhomes

[url=] https://www.crit-air.fr/en/information-about-the-critair-vignette/the-french-vignette-critair/who-will-get-which-critair-colours.html [/url]

"Indication about the classification of motor homes

Motor homes with a total weight up to 3, 5 tons are classified as cars.

Motor homes with a total weight of 3,5 tons or more are classified as trucks. "

There is some confusion in the table for "big trucks" though

Class 3 is Euro 5 from 1/10/2009 to 31/12/2013 and

Class 2 is Euro 6 starting 1/1/2014.

Mine is Euro5+ 2016, so is it the Euro rating or registration date that defines the class?

I won't lose much sleep over this.

Just found the answer to my own question -

"The color of the Crit’Air vignette is decided by the EURO norm, which is indicated in the papers of the vehicle. If the EURO norm is not indicated, then the date of the vehicle’s registration will be taken as a reference. "

So it appear if your V5C does not state a EURO rating, it uses the registration date to define the class.

Does your V5C state the EURO rating John?

plwsm2000 - 2018-08-03 9:47 PM

John Allen - 2018-08-03 9:15 PM

I think they got yours wrong John!.

Just been on the critair web page and there is a statement about motorhomes

[url=] https://www.crit-air.fr/en/information-about-the-critair-vignette/the-french-vignette-critair/who-will-get-which-critair-colours.html [/url]

"Indication about the classification of motor homes

Motor homes with a total weight up to 3, 5 tons are classified as cars.

Motor homes with a total weight of 3,5 tons or more are classified as trucks. "

There is some confusion in the table for "big trucks" though

Class 3 is Euro 5 from 1/10/2009 to 31/12/2013 and

Class 2 is Euro 6 starting 1/1/2014.

Mine is Euro5+ 2016, so is it the Euro rating or registration date that defines the class?

I won't lose much sleep over this.

The advice you’ve quoted in bold comes from a ‘commercial’ website not the ‘official’ French goverment website.

The information "Motor homes with a total weight of 3,5 tons or more are classified as trucks” is wrong.

This was discussed here

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Help-Emissions-in-France/49848/

Supporting the above, the full definition of the vehicle categories for the purposes of Crit'Air can be downloaded from here:

https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichTexte.do?cidTexte=JORFTEXT000032749723&categorieLien=id

...and there are further links embedded.

As a summary by extract:

The 'critical' (pun intended) part is the definition of "Cars" in the Crit'Air legislation and practice.

For the purposes of this Order, with respect to the categories defined in article R. 311-1 of the Highway Code, the following definitions apply :

- motorized two-wheelers, tricycles and quadricycles: vehicles of categories L1e, L2e, L3e, L4e, L5e, L6e or L7e;

- motorcycles: vehicles of categories L3e, L4e, L5e or L7e;

- mopeds: vehicles of categories L1e, L2e or L6e;

- cars: vehicles of category M1;

- light commercial vehicles: vehicles of category N1;

- heavy goods vehicles, buses and coaches: vehicles of categories M2, M3, N2 or N3.

...i.e. all vehicles of category M1, which a correctly constructed/registered motorcaravan should be, are considered to be in the "Cars" category.

Did our Hymer a few weeks ago - 2015 150bhp auto - M1 class on the V5 and 3850kgs - received Critair 2 sticker.

David

silverbike - 2018-08-07 7:00 PM

We've received a Cat 3 sticker for an Auto sleeper Kemerton 2013 but <3.5 tons, definitely diesel. Classed in UK as euro 4.

Was it a late registration? as that age of van should be Euro5.

Did you tell them it was euro4?

As I've posted before, our van is Euro4, but as it was registered april 2011 it got a Cat 2 sticker just on age.

silverbike - 2018-08-07 7:00 PM

We've received a Cat 3 sticker for an Auto sleeper Kemerton 2013 but <3.5 tons, definitely diesel. Classed in UK as euro 4.

As I’ve said before (several times) the overall weight of a vehicle UK-registered as a “Motor Caravan” should be irrelevant where the French Crit’Air system is concerned, and the ‘sticker’ awarded will normally be based on the motorhome’s date of first UK-registration. Its should be apparent from this webpage

https://www.ecologique-solidaire.gouv.fr/certificats-qualite-lair-critair#e2

that a diesel-engined motohome first-UK-registered from 1 January 2011-onwards should be awarded a yellow “2” sticker.

Unless there’s been a screw-up on the French side, the reason your motorhome has been awarded a brown “3” sticker will be (as Colin has suggested) that you’ve specifically said on the application form that your motorhome has a Euro 4 motor, or the ’truck’ category has somehow been chosen where a yellow “2” sticker will only be awarded when the date of first registration is from 1 January 2014-onwards.

https://www.ecologique-solidaire.gouv.fr/sites/default/files/Tableau%20de%20classification%20-%20poids%20lourds.pdf

Just checked ours...we have a 2017 Euro 6 And have a Yellow Class 2 sticker. It was just a case of filling in the boxes and sending the V5 copy as far as I can remember.

It does seem that there are now more areas which may require them - cant see the UK ever doing such a simple and single cost system though! .

Just when you thought it was all clear, the article on page 161 of this month's MMM magazine comes along!

This says that over 3.5T is classed as a truck and references the www.crit-air.fr website that I linked to in an earlier post. It concludes that a 3.85T Euro 4 is class 4 whereas it should be class 3.

Perhaps someone should mention this to MMM?

plwsm2000 - 2018-08-14 5:36 PMJust when you thought it was all clear, the article on page 161 of this month's MMM magazine comes along!This says that over 3.5T is classed as a truck and references the www.crit-air.fr website that I linked to in an earlier post. It concludes that a 3.85T Euro 4 is class 4 whereas it should be class 3. Perhaps someone should mention this to MMM?
My 2004/5 Benimar 2.8JTD is 3850 Kg and my Crit Air is Class 4. Decided from the log book.

The potential problem for UK motorcaravanners applying for a French emissions ‘sticker' is that the UK’s registration scheme where it relates to “motor caravans” does not happily dovetail with the French emissions scheme.

In the UK a motor caravan will normally be registered in the “Private/Light Goods” taxation class when its maximum overall weight does not exceed 3500kg, or in the "Private/HGV” taxation class when its maximum overall weight exceeds 3500kg. But that does not mean that the motor caravan is a light goods vehicle or an HGV.

The French emissions scheme’s ‘sticker’ criteria are listed in the table on this link

https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/docs/tableaux_classement.pdf

Ignoring the first column (motorbikes, 3-wheelers, quads) there are 3 other options - cars, light utility vehicles, or ‘heavyweights’/ buses/coaches.

If a simulation is run to establish a vehicle’s environmental class

https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/en/simulation

there are three alternatives that might be considered relevant to a UK-registered motor caravan -

- Private cars (Class M1)

- Light commercial vehicles (Class N1)

- Heavy goods vehicles, Buses, Coaches (Class M2, M3, N2 or N3)

However, any vehicle that has been correctly registered in the UK as a “MOTOR CARAVAN” should be considered to be a Category M1 vehicle, and (as Robinhood explained in his posting of 4 August 2018 9:39 AM above) where the French emissions scheme is concerned this means that, when filling in the ‘sticker’ application form, the Vehicle category “Private cars” should be selected for ANY UK-registered motor caravan irrespective of that motor caravan’s maximum overall weight.

(There is a mistake in the Vehicle category list, as “Light commercial vehicles (>3,5t)” should read “Light commercial vehicles not exceeding 3,5t”, but that doesn’t really matter unless one were actually applying for a sticker for a light-commercial vehicle rather than for a motor caravan.)

It’s vital to appreciate that the link provided in the MMM article is not to the ‘official’ French website (This one...)

https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/en/

but to a profit-making organisation that will ‘manage’ an application for the French emissions sticker for a fee of €29.65, rather than the €3.11 (+ postage) for a DIY aplication via the official website that (as will be seen from the above link) warns of ’scams’.

From a UK motorcaravanner’s point of view, surely the sensible objective when making an application for a French emissions sticker is to not end up with a sticker that will be potentially disadvantageous. If the following procedure is adhered to, the ‘best’ sticker will be awarded.

1: IRRESPECTIVE OF THE MOTOR CARAVAN’S MAXIMUM OVERALL WEIGHT, always choose the “Private cars” option for the "Vehicle category [Champ J**]” box.

2: Always choose the “No indication of the environmental category” option for the “Indication of the environmental category [Champ V.9**]” box.

3: If the motorhome’s V5C does have a CO2 (g/km) figure in its Field V.7, enter that figure in the "CO2(in g/km) [Champ V.7**]” box. Otherwise leave that box empty.

Upload a copy of the 2nd page of the motorhome’s V5C registration certificate - that’s the page with “UK Registration Certificate” in blue in the top-left corner.

(And - for what it’s worth - although the author of the question to MMM that’s printed on Page 161 of the September 2018 issue believed that he ought to have been awarded a “2” sticker for his diesel-fuelled over-3500kg 2009 Mercedes Sprinter-based motorhome with Euro IV motor (instead of the “4” sticker that he received) the best he could have hoped for was a “3” sticker.)

I refer you to this (translated) “Le Figaro” article about Parisian notices of prosecution relating to the Crit’Air ‘sticker’

https://tinyurl.com/y6u8uqpe

This other article may also be of interest to anyone planning to drive in Paris.

https://tinyurl.com/yasgok9w

It was always going to be the case that Crit’Air-related fining would target Paris to begin with, as that’s where the biggest traffic density lies. If you want to know whether similar fining has occurred in the other French cities that have a permanent emissions-control zone, I’ll leave you to get GOGGLEing yourself.

(Apparently - in 2017 - French motorists bought 10 million Crit’Air stickers.)

Archived