Benefits to the MH community of a no deal Brexit?

curdle

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would venture to suggest that there may be more space for EU Motorhomes on Spanish winter sites.......

As far as UK Motorhomers, before we joined the (then) EEC people were venturing into Europe with their Motorhomes albeit needed a little more organising to ensure the necessary documents were in place so I fail to see why it should be any different after 1st January. In fact, it will still be simpler than pre EEC (EU) membership as there will be no multiple changes of currency, rules or border crossings from France to other countries.

David

david lloyd - 2020-12-12 9:31 AM

I would venture to suggest that there may be more space for EU Motorhomes on Spanish winter sites.......

As far as UK Motorhomers, before we joined the (then) EEC people were venturing into Europe with their Motorhomes albeit needed a little more organising to ensure the necessary documents were in place so I fail to see why it should be any different after 1st January. In fact, it will still be simpler than pre EEC (EU) membership as there will be no multiple changes of currency, rules or border crossings from France to other countries.

David

However if we are comparing future Brexit benefits to motorhomers then you have to compare them with what we have right now not from decades ago. I have tried but I Cant see any.

The main issues I see are-

90 days travel limit in any 180 days. That pretty much scuppers winter stopovers in Spain etc or the long Summer trips we always did. The only way around it I can see is either splitting a winter Spain trip with a stint in Morocco or a summer trip with a stint in Croatia or another none Schengen country.

Healthcare. I have used the EHIC card on almost every trip we have been on. Insurance is costly, doesn't always cover everything such as preconditions.

Exchange rate. It tanked in 2016 following the referendum and I suspect it will do so again in January.

Resentment? How welcome will we be if Brexit does start to hit Johnny Foreigner in the pocket? Thankfully from what I can gather so far most of our EU neighbours are just saddened and baffled by our decision but will that at some point turn to anger in a small minority?

Of course with a hundred mile traffic jams predicted all of this may be a mute point if we cant get there in the first place.

Cant see any upsides whatsoever, sorry.

I’m not seeing any genuine advantages yet and the only one there might be seems to rest on whether cross-Channel services will sell duty free goods which are genuinely duty-free - which experience with airports suggests they won’t, preferring to take extra profit themselves instead.

None that I can see but many down sides.

We have had over the last 8 years about 6 months a year in Europe in three trips. Winter in Spain plus 2 France/Europe trips in May/June and August/October that has now gone. All to keep the Tory party together Mr Cameron your fault. >:-(

Still hoping to get away this December if we can.

Look on the bright side, I love fish meals and we will have bountiful supplies at a fair price, and never been bothered about eating strawberries in winter (lol) Its a shame though that this country will not accommodate motorhomers like they can abroad.

Yes, so the ‘benefits’ of being able to do what you want when you want how you want will not be there but not everyone spends six months through winter in Spain.

For many, their lives will continue as normal and far from it being a case of the UK being worse off by the decision to leave the EU there are 27 other countries worrying considerably about how much worse off they are going to be. Yet there doesn’t seem to be much appetite at this late stage to accept the democratic vote of another member country and try to resolve the issues to minimise the long term issues it raises.

I still say there will be minor changes to the way in which Brexit affects UK (and the few EU Motorhomes’s who visit the UK) Motorhomes but they are simply adjustments to the past ‘free and easy’ practices we have become accustomed to. If you really want to spend time in Europe then that will still be possible.

David

david lloyd - 2020-12-12 12:00 PM

Yes, so the ‘benefits’ of being able to do what you want when you want how you want will not be there but not everyone spends six months through winter in Spain.

For many, their lives will continue as normal and far from it being a case of the UK being worse off by the decision to leave the EU there are 27 other countries worrying considerably about how much worse off they are going to be. Yet there doesn’t seem to be much appetite at this late stage to accept the democratic vote of another member country and try to resolve the issues to minimise the long term issues it raises.

I still say there will be minor changes to the way in which Brexit affects UK (and the few EU Motorhomes’s who visit the UK) Motorhomes but they are simply adjustments to the past ‘free and easy’ practices we have become accustomed to. If you really want to spend time in Europe then that will still be possible.

David

With regard to the OP, you cannot find any benefit to the MH community then?

Apart from that your post is purely political and very debatable.

I've not come across any benefits at all yet ( and haven't heard any Brexiteers claim that there are any )

There will be a bit more faffing about with paperwork, and no doubt health insurance premiums will increase - but no doubt we will get used to it.

It will certainly be less ' trouble ' than travelling on the continent was before we joined the EU.

:-|

colin - 2020-12-11 11:30 PM

If duty free comes back then smokers might get a benefit, aside from that everything else seems a negative.

p.s. and as I'm not a smoker, and I don't even know any to bring back fags for, I can't see any benefits at all for me.

Duty free alcohol and tobacco is continuing but not for electronics, clothing, bags and fragrances. There's an increase in the allowance of duty free drink allowed which imo is completely crazy and sending out totally the wrong message. No mention of the allowance for tobacco and cigarettes but my betting is it will be the absolute minimum and figures will be strict. Expect random searches by the 'goons' at Dover port looking to stock up on their booty will certainly start again.

In short, for anyone going off for a couple of weeks 'fun' in the sun, forget it. The only folk who could benefit from duty free are day tripper Dover locals going over as foot passengers.

https://tinyurl.com/y2xewubv

colin - 2020-12-12 12:54 PM

David

And debate is not something to be encouraged on this forum?

I simply put forward the idea that not everything is being taken away. It’s referred to, in polite conversation, as having another point of view.

David

I feel that the title of this thread is either a statement of desperate optimism, a cry for help or perhaps subtle irony

A key tenet of motorhoming is that we have the unrestricted short notice ability to travel where we wish, stay at any location we wish and to do so in a self sufficient manner. Those citizens of the UK that mostly motorhome abroad and have now lost their EU citizenship will naturally find some of those freedoms curtailed or to some extent financially penalised. UK only motorhomers are unlikely to feel a significant impact unless of course they wish to purchase a new motorhome. As even UK motorhome manufacturers purchase their base vehicle from abroad, prices are likely to increase. So I guess if you want to sell your motorhome in a year or so you might possibly get a better second hand price than before – unless of course the UK economy tanks further and the demand for luxury items like motorhomes declines.

david lloyd - 2020-12-12 1:51 PM

colin - 2020-12-12 12:54 PM

David

And debate is not something to be encouraged on this forum?

I simply put forward the idea that not everything is being taken away. It’s referred to, in polite conversation, as having another point of view.

David

The OP asked about benefits for the MH community, and that's what this section of the forum is about.

Politics around other parts of Brexit which are not related to Motorhomes are for chatter box, it's what is known as respecting the forum rules.

far from it being a case of the UK being worse off by the decision to leave the EU there are 27 other countries worrying considerably about how much worse off they are going to be.

David

So why has the pound fallen against the Euro?

And UK shares under performed the rest of the developed world?

As a UK motorhomer who travels abroad I see no advantages or disadvantages with a no deal Brexit, my decision to vote leave was not taken on such a tunnel vision approach . The EU are petrified at the thought of an independent sovereign UK state 22 miles from their precious cartel. The EU are determined that our leaving must fail , what actions they take to ensure this will mould the future of the UK and Europe .

I have faith in our country and our ability to succeed in the world , the EU is the Soviet Union with money , good riddance.

Adiebt - 2020-12-12 3:56 PM

As a UK motorhomer who travels abroad I see no advantages or disadvantages with a no deal Brexit, my decision to vote leave was not taken on such a tunnel vision approach . The EU are petrified at the thought of an independent sovereign UK state 22 miles from their precious cartel. The EU are determined that our leaving must fail , what actions they take to ensure this will mould the future of the UK and Europe .

I have faith in our country and our ability to succeed in the world , the EU is the Soviet Union with money , good riddance.

They've got more to lose than Us and are trying to make it as hard for us as possible to discourage others from leaving Dutch and French Brexiteers we've spoken to have wished us well

Guest pelmetman
Derek Uzzell - 2020-12-12 9:07 AM

Now, now, kiddies, it was a fair question as it did at least mention motorhomes.

But sensible non-confrontational responses would be appreciated as I’m already sharpening my thread-pruning knife.

Giggle :D .......

I'd put in my two'penthworth if I could be bothered (lol) (lol) (lol) .......

Archived