Benimar Motorhomes

Guest Fiona Jackson

Guest Dave Tester
We purchased a four year old secondhand Benimar Europe ST four weeks ago. The quality leaves a lot to be desired, every time we look at the interior and exterior there`s another job to be done,all the things you don`t notice when your buying it. The veneer on most of the wood panels is lifting at the edges, there is a nine inch split in the shower floor because it isn`t supported underneath and it just can`t take the constant stepping in and out when you use the bathroom, the floor has a fancy plastic grill covering it so we didn`t notice the split in the floor, the toilet roll holder is too small for the standadrd diameter toilet roll, the rear table is vertually unusable as it restricts access to the seating, but worst off all we were sitting in the rear lounge on our first trip last weekend, it started to rain and the water ran down the inside of the back panel like a tap had been turned on. I inspected the exterior joints when the rain stopped and there were nine inch gaps in the sealant in several places, sealant had never been applied from new, and thats just the back panel, what`s the rest of the van like. There are many other faults that have come to light, I wont bore you with all of them, I just wish I hadn`t taken notice of the MMM test reports that said how good the quality is, I should have realised that the Spanish are not engineers and as such don`t have the knowledge to build a motorhome to an acceptable standard like the Germans. If I were you Fiona I would look at German or some French vans give the Spanish and Italians a wide berth. Regards Dave Tester

Quite a surprise to read your comments as this van won an award with a.n.other magazine award. It makes you wonder what to go for next but we have a Bessacarr and all of our friends and famaily have a van from the Swift group and I think it is "better to go for what is succesful" The bessacar 435 is perfect for us so we are still looking within the Swift group. Anyone recommend a Datleff or not and the new Compass Castaway?

Guest Dave Stephens
I was interested to see Dave's comments about his second hand Benimar. My wife and I were looking at them at the Earl's Court show as they seemed very good from the reports I'd read. But I have to say we were both very disappointed with the quality on what one would have assumed would have been their 'best quality' for a show! They went smartly off our list whereas Hymer Pilote etc got a huge tick in all cases. Thanks for the confirmation Dave, but sorry you're stuck with a lemon?

Archived