Berlin Umwelt Sticker

fjmike

...indeed, Köln requires a green Umweltplakette. (and as above, if you have a green one issued by Berlin this is fine).

If you envisage using the Stellplatz (which may be Über-busy during the Christmas Market), then they have a dispensation to get to and from it without a green Umweltplakette via strict routing, as below:

http://www.reisemobilhafen-koeln.de/umweltzone.html

Hello Mike,

Although your query was about the Umwelt you mention going to the Christmas markets in Cologne this year. We go to Germany most years for the Christmas markets and are revisiting Koln this December. Please forgive me if I'm teaching Grandma to suck eggs but I thought I might have more useful information for you. We are going to stay on the stellplatz near the zoo in Koln this year, we have booked a place for a couple of nights. So my first bit of information is that you can book using the same website as the previous poster gave for information about the approved route if you don’t have a green Umwelt. However, you can’t book for weekends. The stellplatz is close to the Uban so easy to get into the centre or you can cycle (weather permitting) at the side of the Rhine in about 15 - 20 minutes. Finally, and perhaps most importantly are you aware of the German tyre regulations and the changes made from this year? For some time tyres marked either M+S (mud and snow - e.g. Michelin Camping Agilis) or Winter tyres marked with a snowflake and/or a mountain have been obligatory in cold conditions. The Germans take this as from October to Easter. If you have accident or cause an obstruction in bad weather without the correct tyres the penalties are doubled. For tyres manufactured from 2018 onwards only Winter tyres are permitted. Earlier M+S tyres are OK at the moment.

Last time we went to the markets in Koln was in 2012 if you are interested our blog about it is below:-

http://wanderbirds.co.uk/xmasmarkets2012.html

Archived