Best Security Device

niktam

Any suggestions for the "Best" visible security device for an Autoquest 196? To narrow it down it is not for insurance reasons just some visible security it is only for use in the storage compound so the device will be stored in the car when the MH is out and about. The cab windows have sun screens to them so no one would see anything on the steering wheel so that maybe narrows it down to a wheel clamp?

I think you answered your own question!

Would also consider extra locks on habitation door and the ones to garage, as they may not be as good as the base vehicle. I fitted Fiamma, not certain how good they are but will add to encouragement to make the thief choose another van to take!

thebishbus - 2019-11-15 9:17 AM

Cancelled, did not read the bit about window screens.

ps The trouble with wheel clamps is the thieves have portable grinders that can cut though them .

You could fit an extra engine immobilizer operated by a hidden switch.At least that would stop them driving it away .

Brian B.

Thats true about portable angle grinders, but they make a hell of racket whilst cutting through, enough to attract attention of anyone within hearing distance. I use a Milenco and a steering wheel lock.

Here's a joke for you. Derek parks his M/H in a less than salubrious area in Toxteth and a bunch of scallys approach him and ask if he wants them to look after his lovely motorhome for a tenner. "No thanks" replies Derek, "I've got a Rottweiler in there looking after it, so thanks but no thanks". "OK mister", says lead cheeky scally, "what's he like at putting out fires?"

Oh and can't add to the security Q, I've got one of the cheapo ten quid off Ebay bright yellow wheel clamps just as a visible deterrent. Real security is on board tracker and standard alarm/immobiliser

I've just copied and pasted this from another security post, saves me a bit of typing (lol) (lol) .

A nice little device purchased on the open market in Eastern Europe for about 900 Euros will have most modern motorcaravan's factory Immobilisers and OBD controlled devices by-passed in a couple of mins.

Also for about £89.00 you can go on that well known internet auction site and purchase a GPS Blocker that can block a tracking system and £48.00 will buy a RF/WiFi Signal Blocker stopping wireless alarm products from triggering. We have currently been having this conversation with 2 of the country's leading motorhome insurance brokers, with photos of products they are approving that are being fitted by 3 party/dealers and we have removed/by-passed in seconds!!

Independent hard-wired security systems that DO NOT use the Can-Bus/OBD to control them is sensibly the only way to go in terms of alarm/immobilisation product when done electronically.

Mechanical based products whilst acting as prevention still can be by-passed by Battery powered Power Tools, so whilst they will make a noise in using these tools, if the circumstances are there that noise isn't a problem, they will get past them no matter what.

I'm reluctant to recommend deadlocks, only due to some of the damage we have seen over the years either through break-ins or the deadlocks being seized or corroded due to the weather damaging the locks and mechanisms (also bearing in mind that most motorcaravans have a softer plastic windows that the Thieves will use instead - which are harder to replace on older vans).

It is down to the individual how far they wish to go in protecting their investment.

laimeduck - 2019-11-15 11:49 AM

I have a removable steering wheel.

Doesn't stop anyone breaking in, but they can't pinch the van!

It's not foolproof, but it's pretty close!

Agreed this is about the ultimate solution though needs to be visible. It was good enough for a mates son who owned a highly modified Sierra Cosworth which are way more desirable for nicking than any motorhome!

The best approach is generally viewed as layering so we use;

Alarm immobiliser

Tracker

Disklok (you could use one and place the sticker somewhere to advertise this fact)

Wheel clamp but as suggested above, relatively easy to remove

https://www.caravanaccessoryshop.co.uk/product/samurai-wheel-clamp/1243

We turn the drivers seat through 180 degrees and add a padlock

More recently, we also been lowering the electric bed making it almost impossible to drive away

Cant do much more than that. If it goes, it's insured

And don't discount additional effective measures just because they can't be seen with the blinds closed!

If a thief does manage to remove an external wheel lock or security post for instance, are you intending to just give up at that point or hope that additional measures as yet unseen will surprise him, at the very least cause further delay or possibly deter him altogether?

A colleague of mine who had an MG C with a wood-rimmed steering wheel, wired the HT from the ignition coil, via a switch controlled relay, to the metal frame of the wheel. Most effective, especially so when he forgot, from time to time, to turn it off before attempting to drive.

Conrad - 2019-11-17 4:30 PM

Bit of lateral thinking - if wheel locks can be cut off and you want a visible deterrent, why not just remove a wheel while your van is laid up?!

When they steal some makes of vehicle by turning up with a matching set of immobiliser system components from another similar vehicle to transpose onto the stolen one, I doubt they'll worry too much about having to bring their own wheel and a set of bolts ;-)

Deneb - 2019-11-17 8:26 PM

Conrad - 2019-11-17 4:30 PM

Bit of lateral thinking - if wheel locks can be cut off and you want a visible deterrent, why not just remove a wheel while your van is laid up?!

When they steal some makes of vehicle by turning up with a matching set of immobiliser system components from another similar vehicle to transpose onto the stolen one, I doubt they'll worry too much about having to bring their own wheel and a set of bolts ;-)

Or move to west Wales - lost crime rate in England & Wales!

I do not think you will stop the determined thief from getting into the van. But you might frighten him off when the alarm is going if there is extra security inside the van. Steering wheel lock. Drivers seat turned round and locked.Extra immobilizer wired into the impact switch,or the fuel lift pump wiring,and operated by a hidden or key switch. Take your pick.

Brian B.

Apart from secure storage, visible deterrents to make the thief move on are the best, once they force the door, break the steering lock, and mangled your electrics, you are looking at thousands of pounds of damage, a loss of no claims bonus, and the moho off the road. Even if your fittings prevent them driving it away.

I've got a strikeback alarm system, but have put a warning on every window, including the skylights, to inform would thieves.

thebishbus - 2019-11-19 8:34 AM

I think if a thief had come to steal a M/H,he would not want it with all that damage, would you. ? With the alarm going off, and once he found the extra security inside he would abandon it I think.

Brian B.

Believe me, thieves don't care about damage. Most stolen vehicles including motorhomes will be broken up and sold as parts. The value of the vehicle is immaterial. It hasn't cost the thief anything, and there is a thriving business in secondhand parts that will realise a profit, with far less risk of detection than selling the vehicle on. Motorhomes are attractive as a source of low mileage parts that will realise more than the worn out high mileage items found in similar commercial vans.

But if they intend to clone it and sell it on, they will just replace the damaged parts with those from a donor vehicle, maybe a scrapped van they have obtained from a salvage yard. The same as they do with stolen cars or written off cars that get put back on the road by back street bodgers. Many of the ones that I used to recover had thousands of pounds worth of damage caused to their interiors, where they had been ripped apart to search for trackers and/or make modifications necessary to allow them to be stolen. Sometimes they are then parked up in obscure places for a short time just in case there is a tracker that they've missed, before being moved on to the chop shop.

Archived