Beware of Polish Viatoll

jupe

Just thought I'd warn any of you planning to travel through Poland that they now have a system, as explained to me by a very officious traffic cop, similar to that of Austria, where you need to register and pay to travel on certain sections of motorway (only if over 3.5t). We knew nothing about this, hadn't seen any signs as we crossed in from northern Germany, driving over cobbled roads. We spent a little time along the Baltic coast manouvouring over the potholes as best we could!!! before deciding we'd rather be back in Germany. Just after Szczecin about 2km from the German border we were stopped by said traffic cops and fined £600. We did wonder why the road surface had suddenly improved and hardly any other traffic around!!!! Despitelengthy protestations we had to pay up. After we got home some Polish friends said we should have offered them a bribe but knowing our luck we would have been thrown into jail. Anyway the point of this message is to highlight this toll to any other unsuspecting travellers. We consider ourselves to be pretty clued up on this sort of stuff and avoid toll roads of any type when possible. Don't remember ever seeing anything about this Polish system.!!! By the way, spent 8 weeks travelling around Germany, nothing but praise for the stellplatz we stayed on and for the helpful Germany people we came across.

Jupe

That's Poland off the list then. Were you given a receipt jupe, might be a good idea contacting the Polish Embassy and explained what happened. Might not lead anywhere but explain that it won't be doing the Polish tourist trade much good if this is normal practise.

Dave

kelly58 - 2012-08-03 7:51 PM

Its a pity the UK transport division cannot inforce the same penalties on the increasing number of Polish lorries conjesting our road networks . Also Poland is definateley Off my to see list .

They can k, but it would mean the Government having to introduce the same conditions on our freight vehicles, but the German system allows their truck operators to claim a rebate.

If my calculations are correct 8-) (lol) just based on a euro 2 spec van at between 3.5 and 12t, jupe has been charged for equivalent of 1500km, but no doubt there will be a fine in that amount or 'is' that the fine.

Dave

jupe - 2012-08-03 5:12 PM

Just thought I'd warn any of you planning to travel through Poland that they now have a system, as explained to me by a very officious traffic cop, similar to that of Austria, where you need to register and pay to travel on certain sections of motorway (only if over 3.5t). We knew nothing about this, hadn't seen any signs as we crossed in from northern Germany, driving over cobbled roads. We spent a little time along the Baltic coast manouvouring over the potholes as best we could!!! before deciding we'd rather be back in Germany. Just after Szczecin about 2km from the German border we were stopped by said traffic cops and fined £600. We did wonder why the road surface had suddenly improved and hardly any other traffic around!!!! Despitelengthy protestations we had to pay up.

Sorry to hear of your experience but also surprised. Yes 3.5 and over do have to pay a toll (no idea how much as i'm only 2.5), but it won't be much. I tried to cross into Poland via Swinoujscie via the free Ferry but they weren't allowing campervans or mh's on which was strange as i've used it a few times in the past so had to de-tour all the way back round via Szczecin.

Seems you got a "jobsworth" Officer dealing with you as from past experiences I have nothing but praise for the patience and politeness shown to me by Polish Officers (one continually apologising for his 'poor' English which was a damn sight better than my Polish!).

Don't let it put you off. Poland is an amazing country and with diesel running at around a quid a litre, campsites at £8 a night with electric and showers, Restaurant meals costing a fiver or less......you soon realise that touring in the UK is just way too expensive!

Hungary also make a motorway toll charge which applies to all categories so I had to pay the huge sum of 2975Ft (HUF).......£8.46 for ten days! But Hungary isn't as cheap as Poland.

kelly58 - 2012-08-03 7:51 PM

Its a pity the UK transport division cannot inforce the same penalties on the increasing number of Polish lorries conjesting our road networks . Also Poland is definitely off my to see list .

Give it a try first before condemning.

This has been my fourth time back in Poland and I will continue visiting. It's a great country with some wonderful scenery, friendly people and good food!!

nowtelse2do - 2012-08-03 9:39 PM

Hungary on the list then :D

Looks like your having a good tour this time paul B-)

Dave

Brilliant thanks Dave. 30+ every day and haven't seen rain for weeks now! Off into Romania tomorrow. Not sure how much further South I will go as it's hot enough already.

Just for OP I found this;

http://www.dalnicni-znamky.com/en/highway-toll-poland.html

Current rate of exchange is 5.13 zloty to £1. Doesn't take much to work out that some sections cost less than three quid.......peanut money, but that's Polish prices for you.

What does seem odd from that list is it give prices for up to 3.5ton but when I hit my first stretch of motorway, I stopped at the first Service area and was asked my vehicle weight and told I didn't have to pay.

Paul, if you go back to Brian's link, in the first paragraph it states that tolls are for vehicles over 3.5t. And further on in the link also.

Heavy showers and sunshine here, around 15-18c depending where you are. Will be in your neck of the woods on Sunday, car show at Shugborough House.

Dave

Yes I do think we were unlucky - but once bitten etc. We were directed by traffic cops to a m/way stop and told it would take half an hour for all the documentation to be sorted, wonderful, we hung around in the heat, with a very hot dog as nowhere much to walk for her, while they sat in their air-conditioned van, which was fully equipped with computers/printers etc etc. To add insult to injury we also had to pay an extra £20 for our bankcard to be processed as we didn't have cash but then who carries that sort of cash around. After signing various documents (I did write on them all that we didn't understand Polish) we were handed copies of everything including a receipt so we presume it was all above board. I maybe should write to the Polish authorities to complain and see what happens since we were only on motorway for a short distance as far as we could tell - I think there is a longer network in the South of this type of toll road. Incidentally we crossed into Poland via Szczecin (the cobbled road, and took the free ferry with no problems. Also the campsite we were aiming for at Miedzyzdroje was in the process of being demolished, we were also overcharged at the carpark nearby while we were having a look around. We found an agroturistyk site a bit further on, rustic but OK but then they tried to charge us 2 nights when we'd only been there for one! so all in all obviously not the best of times for us but maybe we'll have another go later. Still as this is our first bad experience in over 9 years of long-term motorhoming I guess we can't complain too much.

Jupe

This seems to be the site that is needed, http://tinyurl.com/bp8pltq - though it seems one first needs to find out how motorhomes are categorised in Poland. I assume they conform to the EC "norm" and should be treated as a car if 3.5 tonnes or under.

If over 3.5 tonnes I assume they are treated HGVs and must obtain the Viabox. I have to say whereas it may be clear to the Poles, it is less than clear from the translation on their website!

Clearly the electronic system applies only to certain roads, and it seems you have choice, if you are 3.5 tonnes or under, whether to adopt the electronic system or the manual system. HGVs seem to have to use the electronic system.

Other motorways and expressways appear to have manual tolling, so the electronic device on a motorhome over 3.5T MAM would seem a bit of a waste of time, unless planning on doing long motorway stretches.

The puzzle is that from the viaTOLL website, it should not have been possible to access a toll road section without encountering either a manual toll barrier, or passing an electronic check. The implication is that the electronic check releases a barrier, so without the device, the barrier should have stayed closed to prevent access. This raises the question of how you were able to access a toll road without paying. Since the police pounced, meaning they had first to be there, it seems probable you were not the only victim. Makes one wonder if there might have been a little bit of a scam operating? If not fraudulent, then taking deliberate advantage of a flaw in their system to raise money via fines. Worth asking, I think.

Just had a look on Google Earth and I assume the junction is the one from road 10 onto the A6 for Berlin. I've just "driven" that in Google Streets (doubtless out of date) and, although it is perfectly clear you are joining motorway, there are no visible signs that a toll is payable. There are no barriers at all. At the German end the road seems to go straight through without barriers, and I can't see any barriers between the junction where you joined and the German border, so the basis for your fine does seem very odd. There are large service areas both sides of the border, but no sign of toll barriers etc in either. However, it seems these are where the boxes can be picked up. There is supposedly another collection point on road 10 south east of the junction with the A6, and another just north west of the junction, but there is nothing visible in Google Streets that indicates the boxes are being sold there - no doubt because it is a recent introduction.

This link is to an inter-active map on the viaTOLL website that shows where each type of toll is applied. http://tinyurl.com/d82hlnt

All a bit late for you now, but I still think you should be entitled to ask how, exactly, one is supposed to know about this system on such roads in the (apparent) absence of warning signs. Chaotic, seems a fair description!

jupe - 2012-08-03 5:12 PM

Just thought I'd warn any of you planning to travel through Poland that they now have a system, as explained to me by a very officious traffic cop, similar to that of Austria, where you need to register and pay to travel on certain sections of motorway (only if over 3.5t). We knew nothing about this, hadn't seen any signs as we crossed in from northern Germany, driving over cobbled roads. We spent a little time along the Baltic coast manouvouring over the potholes as best we could!!! before deciding we'd rather be back in Germany. Just after Szczecin about 2km from the German border we were stopped by said traffic cops and fined £600. We did wonder why the road surface had suddenly improved and hardly any other traffic around!!!! Despitelengthy protestations we had to pay up. After we got home some Polish friends said we should have offered them a bribe but knowing our luck we would have been thrown into jail. Anyway the point of this message is to highlight this toll to any other unsuspecting travellers. We consider ourselves to be pretty clued up on this sort of stuff and avoid toll roads of any type when possible. Don't remember ever seeing anything about this Polish system.!!! By the way, spent 8 weeks travelling around Germany, nothing but praise for the stellplatz we stayed on and for the helpful Germany people we came across.

Jupe

This sounds like a 'Con' to me, are you sure they were 'real policemen' ??

anyone else know anything about this ? Ray

pelmetman - 2012-08-04 8:00 PM

Did someone say Poland is cheap? :-D....................More info please? :D

Diesel £1.13 - £1.15 a litre.

Decent meal of Restaurant quality with a coffee....around five quid.

Road Toll fees (where payable)......peanut money (see the link).

Marlboro 100s £2.90 for 20. (over £7 in UK). Nobody smokes 'rollies' here.

Archived