Big tick for the ladies

Pete-B

Who was it who once said you can't keep a good woman down? Whoever it was he/she certainly got it right.

When we're away we like to do a lot of walking, in particular hill walking and we also cycle a lot. Considering the Duchess is coming up to 80 and I said goodby to it some time ago I feel grateful we can still do it.

A while ago though, I noticed, after walking a few miles, the good lass seemed to be limping somewhat. When I queried it she made some excuse and said "it's nothing just a bit of a pain in the leg and that she'd walk it off". She's one of these ladies who hardly ever complains about being ill and just brushes it off saying, it'll go.

When we got back home I almost had to drag her down to the surgery to see the Doc. He examined her and said, "I think you ought to have a scan" and within a week she got an appointment. Ten days after that she had an appointment to see a orthopedic surgeon. When we met him his words were, "I'm not sure how you walked in here as good as that". On seeing her scan it showed there was no cartilage at all round her hip joint and he said "you're literally walking bone on bone". "You need a total hip replacement and I could fit you in to my schedule in about three to four weeks if your happy to go ahead".

Sure enough, she was in in just over three weeks and had it done under a spinal block so was fully awake during the hour and a half the operation took, she was offered a drug to make you drowsy but said she didn't want that. She explained, it was very strange to hear him sawing and hammering and pulling things about but didn't feel any pain.

He'd previously told us at the first meeting, that she would be on crutches for six weeks and should be back to normal in about twelve weeks.

Two weeks after having it done she was walking round the house and up and down stairs without the crutches. Today which is three weeks I caught her with hoe in her hand hand working in the garden would you believe. Her legs still a bit swollen but all I get is, it'll go down eventually.

Here's me, complaining to my mate about all the washing, ironing, cooking, shopping, cleaning etc I've had to do for a fortnight or so.

It's her first meeting with the physio at the hospital on Wednesday, it'll be interesting to see what she thinks.

I'll never take a woman for granted again, well done ladies.

I have had both hips replaced, the first at age 55 and the second at 61. The first was under a general and the second with an epidural which is better for recovery times. The second time I was operated on at teatime and home the following lunchtime, walking with one stick and no sticks after two weeks - it is incredible. Still takes 6 weeks for the wound to heal though. No problems since, although my hips can ache a bit if I do a lot of bending and twisting and heavy exercise.

Archived