Bike rack/Tow bar

Mike Culver

Guest Mike Culver
We are about to become the proud owners of a Auto Cruise, Pioneer Monet, which is built on a Ultra low Alko Kober chassis, the question is, do we have a cycle rack put on the back or fit a tow bar with an attachment for bikes, we have been given a provisional quote for the tow bar of around £800, this is because of the low chassis etc and a very reasonable quote for the rack. Does anybody out there have a bar fitted to Alko kober, was it expensive? does it work and do you have any problems? I must add that I'm not made of money !! Thanks, be lucky Mike Culver.

Hi Mike. I would certainly shop around for a more competitive quote for the tow bar. My van is not the same as yours but I had a tow bar fitted mainly to help protect the expensive rear light clusters and to attach a removable bike rake, I hate to see vans with loads of aluminium scaffolding bolted on the back. A lot of vans get near to the 60% rear overhang past the rear axle and you do have to consider the possible chance of grounding on ramps and uneven ground. A lock on bike rack will be higher on the tow ball so should not intefer with clearance, also its good to be able to see clearly through the rear window if your van as one than looking through a maze of cross bars and handle bars, Chas

Guest Mike Burley
I had a tow bar fitted to the Alko chassis of my motorhome, a Hymer B564 with the low double chassis. I use it either to tow a trailer or with a bike rack. It both cases it is excellent, height has never been an issue, even going on and off ferries. However, a couple of words of caution, make sure that all the electrics are completed before you leave the installer. This may seem obvious but for various reasons ours were not fully tested. This resulted in our local auto electrician taking several hours to fix it. Almost the whole of the dashboard had to come out before he traced the problem. Very waring on the nerves, epecially with a brand new van and a ferry dedline looming. Also expensive. The other problem which has developed is rust on the new tow bar. Within a year the paint on the towbar had started to flake off, in places coming off in sheets. At a club rally I noticed that this was happening to three or four other vans with a similar installation. Is this just a poor paint job by this particular manufacturer, or could something else be going on, i.e.dissimilar metals, mild steel reacting with whatever alloy the al ko chassis is made of. Possibly worth a discussion with the supplier/fitter. Mike

Guest David Lloyd
Hi Mike We have an Autocruise Startraveller which is the same chassis as you are considering. We tow a Yaris with it and use a witter ZX88 bike carrier which allows us to take both bikes and the car if necessary - although we are giving up cycling now (old age, bad knees, backs, hips etctetc!) and just selling the bike rack and bikes. The tow bar fitted was done by Towtal and was made to fit the chassis. I likes it because ot was certainly more substantial than some I've seen and also will act as an anti-nudge bar. Regards, david

Before you go all out on this - check for the countries where you intend to travel to I have read on here a while back and else where that Italy and Portugal have made towbar mounted cycle racks illegal You could possibly gey answers from either the Caravan Club or Camping & Caravanning Club Or try the MMM technical dept

Guest david lloyd
Hi pete C My understanding is that, under any of the EC regulations, what is legal in the country of origin (for the vehicle concerned) is therefore legal to use in the country to which the vehicle is a temporary import. This applies to other things such as the towing of cars on A-frames which is illegal in some countries but - providing the arrangement complies with UK law - it is ok for the time you are a visitor in that country. david

Guest Derek Uzzell
Mike Culver: You wouldn't like to satisfy my insatiable curiosity and say why you are changing your Duetto for the Pioneer, please? (Hopefully it's something simple, like you want more space, not due to any shortcomings with the Auto-Sleepers.) Regards, Derek

Guest Mike Culver
Evening Derek, Sorry I haven't replied before but on Sunday I had a "senior moment" and whilst putting up some shelves I drove thro the BT cables, no telephone, no Foram but now back in the land of the living!. The Duetto is our first van and we are so pleased with it, but wanting to use it for longer periods we wanted more living space and perhaps a little more room in the small room so the change, but the Trannies new engine, its driving position suits me fine, just over 6' its reasonably quite, and good fuel consumption we would not discourge any one from going down that road and of course the very good finish from Auto Sleepers but the Monet looks as good so all of you out there keep your fingers crossed for us. On another track, looking at some of the messages re value for money that have been posted re the MMM, the magazine and its Foram are invaluable for people like us and some things will be repeated but just think of the people who are new to this wonderful past time of motorvanning and will gain so much help and knowledge from reading and looking. Personally I don't know what I would do whilst my wife is watching Eastenders !! Good luck to you all and Be lucky Mike Culver.

Guest Mike Culver
Thanks for your replies, Chas, I've taken your advice and got it down to just under £600,so we're getting there ! Mike who fited yours ? David, yours sounds okay, who are Towtal ? and are they within stricking distance of Milton Keynes. I have contacted Witter's who were'nt as helpful as I would have liked but did give me the pars of a fitter in St Albans. Again thanks, Mike.

Guest david lloyd
Hi Mike Towtal can be found at 332 King Street, Fenton, Staffs, ST4 3DA Tel 01782 333422 Have a look at the towbars on www.towtal.co.uk - ours is a white one. If you fancy a witter towbar mounted cycle carrier we are selling ours (and the bikes!) the old joints in knees and hips are getting past it now so we will just take the car when we think we need to. Give me a ring on 01287 631292 if you need any further info. Best regards, david

Archived