Blocked drain!

Conrad J

I understood motorhomes don’t have traps in the drains so if you can’t get to the pipe could you try pouring hot water down and/or some drain cleaner or caustic soda followed by vinegar. What about getting a hosepipe jet on the outlet as well or sticking down some sort of bendy cleaning rod.

I have used a plunger too but be wary.

I give it a gentle pumping up and down so as not to blow off any pipe fittings etc.

Ideally use hot drain cleaner and leave it to soak for a bit.

As a preventative habit....when I think on...

I regularly put in a 2L bottle of cheap cola before a run. This will froth up and dissolve most crud! Then flush out with preferably hot water.

When setting off for home I try to remember to run off any unwanted hot water in the storage tank through the drain before dumping grey water too.

It all helps!!

My Rapido motorhome’s kitchen sink and washbasin have the type of outlet/waste-trap shown in the attached image below and, when I winterise the motorhome, I am able to unscrew the outlet’s base to empty the water (and muck) that has collected there.

The Rapido’s shower tray has a single outlet of a different design and (unsurprisingly) it is not a simple matter to access the outlet’s underside to drain water from it or clean it. I just stick a short length of suitable-diameter water hose into the outlet and blowing down the hose is sufficient to drive the trapped water out and into the waste-water tank.

If the shower-outlet became blocked I’d try Don636’s suggestion and shove a garden hose into the outlet and try to blast the obstruction free. Obviously care would need to be taken with this ploy and it would be a 2-person task. And if the shower had more than one outlet, the supplementary outlets would need to be ‘stoppered’ before using the hose.

Perhaps try the plunger first, then the drain cleaner, then the garden hose...

smev-1-outlet-trap-sink-waste-20mm-1731-p.jpg.35aaa78adcb0cb910d4ffb5c7848353d.jpg

Our Rapido shower has a lift out section in the shower drain similar to a domestic shower drain.

It is held in place by rubber o rings on a friction fit. A gentle wiggle frees it and it lifts out.

The trap w as full of debris from the build, I got most of the muck out by hand,some went on into the tank.

Rgds

My 2015 Rapido 640F’s shower-tray has the type of outlet shown in the upper image attached below.

This outlet has commonly been fitted to sinks and showers in Hymer leisure vehicles for 10 years or so and I think is a SMEV product. There’s a removable plastic ‘waste basket’ (lower image) that pushes down to close the outlet, and this will happen when the shower is being used when the ‘finger pull’ on the top of the basket will almost inevitably be stood on. The basket is effective for trapping hair but, when removed, easy access to the outlet’s trap is still restricted.

On the Rapido 640F model the shower is close to the waste-water tank, so drainage is not a problem. However, despite domestic-type rigid plastic pipework being employed throughout, the speed of water drainage from the motorhome’s kitchen sink or washbasin is still dependent on the vehicle’s stance when it is parked.

1497988116_Rapidoshower-trayoutlet.jpg.07c0833a24b548208db982c50b8a07a6.jpg

Basket.jpg.a2fb4daffed29fa09c0f990b6d78809c.jpg

The "basket" type outlet illustrated in Derek's post above can be dismantled for cleaning provided you can access both above and below but you need either a special tool (or a pair of pliers) to grip the inside of the upper component. I use a pair of pliers held open to engage the lugs on the inside. The inside component is released upwards and the outer, lower casing drops away below. There is a thin rubber gasket sealing the upper component on to the hole.

The piping is merely a push fit on to the lower casing so take care not to blow it off if you decide to use a hose pipe to flush the system through!

Shower drains on Hymers are often accessible from below by removing the front capping below the bathroom door.

Archived