Boiler Limescale

bobalobs

We use the hot water boiler in our van on a regular basis for showers etc but this has led to problems with limescale and in turn seizure of the boiler drop valve. This can be freed with a solution of white vinegar or citric acid but can sometimes lead to leaks in the boiler casing.Has anyone fitted an online water softener with success. We spoke to a heating technician who said this would solve the problem and said they do exist as are used by the windowcleaners who wash office blocks with a long pole and need to avoid streaks. A search of the internet shows a number of water softeners but mainly for car washing with varied levels of efficiency. Any thoughts or experiences. Many thanks.

Hi, I’ve just been going through some back issues before recycling and saw this question covered in the MMM June 18 issue. The person asking the descaling question stated that the Truma handbook recommended white wine vinegar, not white vinegar. Terry Acreman agreed that the Truma info was correct . The mix is two litres of white wine vinegar into 10/12 litres of fresh water.

It was also suggested that it is possible to buy own brand wwv for under £5 online.

Hope this helps.

Many thanks for your thoughts. We tried white wine vinegar in a 20 percent mix. We left the boiler on overnight and drained and flushed through the next morning. Within a month the tank developed numerous leaks and had to be replaced at vast expense. Believe the current advice from Webasto is only descale as a last resort and not to use citric acid but white wine vinegar at the mix we used but only heating it for 30 minutes and not overnight!

With the full price of a new boiler tank at about £700 we are anxious to avoid a repeat!

Interesting, I used white wine vinegar on my Truma Combi C6000 and to descale the whole system as the water pressure had dropped.. (As it turned out it was not the main cause of the problem which was a voltage drop at the pump). I took the pump out of the tank and put it in a 10 litre bucketful of the above and turned on the shower on hot only. When I could smell the diluted mixture at the head I repeated the same again at the taps. I can not remember how long I left it like this, maybe 12hours but didn't turn the boiler on. The tank I descaled using neat WW Vinegar and a stiff nylon brush as it was in a bad way. with access through two inspection points. Luckily when God was handing out arms I was at the back of the queue and I was given a pair of pipe cleaners. The solution did clear an awful lot of dissolved lime scale from the system when flushed through with clean water. My shower head is the old blue type on '98 Hymers. If I hold the shower head waist high facing upwards the spray gets to about two feet high which is a guide to the state of the system. After none stop use of some 15 years the Truma boiler needed a major overhaul, replacing the combustion fan housing and combustion motor, blower motor, burner, igniters flame sensor, air pressure valve and both inlet and exhaust pipes. As Bruce has pointed out in a roundabout way magnets have their uses...but not in this case. Not bad for a Truma and now runs like new. (Other boilers are available) Sorry, I'm rambling :-)

Archived