Bosnia & Herzegovina Insurance

worthy

I need to get temporary insurance for travelling in Bosnia and Herzegovina next year. I have placed a deposit for the C&CClub's Balkans tour but am having trouble getting insurance for this country. C&CC Club Care will only offer me 12 months insurance, but I already have insurance, just no cover for B&H. There must be members who have been to the Balkans previously. Has anyone been able to get temporary insurance and at what cost? I would appreciate information ASAP as I may need to cancel this trip before I have to pay a nonrefundable deposit. Members please contact me at pclp@blueyonder.co.uk

Thanks, and regards

This should be moved to Motorhome Matters forum. I've used Scenic for my van the past few years now as they provide Green Card free where other companies charge, also as you've found out, others don't cover at all. Scenic do cover Bosnia as i was there this year.

Phone number; 0800 954 4724

Must be a UK thing because everyone else seems to just go. I certainly don't need any extra insurance for anywhere in Europe other than Kosovo (which you pay for at the border anyway). The last time in Bosnia (September 17) I remember they asked for the green card but that's it.

Bulletguy - 2018-11-19 1:40 PM

This should be moved to Motorhome Matters forum. I've used Scenic for my van the past few years now as they provide Green Card free where other companies charge, also as you've found out, others don't cover at all. Scenic do cover Bosnia as i was there this year.

do they cover for 365 days abroad?

phalange - 2018-11-19 2:41 PM

Bulletguy - 2018-11-19 1:40 PM

do they cover for 365 days abroad?

No, it's 180 though worth bearing in mind 365 cover will be ended for everyone if Brexit goes ahead and will be limited to max of 90 days, plus we may be required to take out IDP's.

Scenic have always covered way more non-EU countries than other companies though and provide Green Card free which was my point to the op.

spirou - 2018-11-19 2:05 PM

Must be a UK thing because everyone else seems to just go. I certainly don't need any extra insurance for anywhere in Europe other than Kosovo (which you pay for at the border anyway). The last time in Bosnia (September 17) I remember they asked for the green card but that's it.

If you are not UK resident then yes you can go pretty much anywhere. Vehicle insurance here (not only m/h) is pretty restrictive. I was ok for Kosovo.....but only because i had Green card which i had to cover me for Bosnia, Serbia, Macedonia, and Moldova.

worthy - 2018-11-19 11:29 AM

I need to get temporary insurance for travelling in Bosnia and Herzegovina next year. I have placed a deposit for the C&CClub's Balkans tour but am having trouble getting insurance for this country. C&CC Club Care will only offer me 12 months insurance, but I already have insurance, just no cover for B&H. There must be members who have been to the Balkans previously. Has anyone been able to get temporary insurance and at what cost? I would appreciate information ASAP as I may need to cancel this trip before I have to pay a nonrefundable deposit. Members please contact me at pclp@blueyonder.co.uk

Thanks, and regards

Hi - are you travelling around Bosnia & Herzogovina or simply trying to transit the Neum corridor from Croatia to Croatia?

worthy - 2018-11-19 11:29 AM

Thanks, and regards

If your present insurance expires before the B&H trip, switch to C&CC to get the required cover. You can switch back again one year later if you don't like the C&CC product. If it expires after the trip, consider cancelling (probable cost penalty!) and changing to another insurer be that C&CC or whoever. From personal experience (albeit 10 years ago) you won't get much sense out of anyone at the Croatia/B&H border, and even if you could buy a temporary insurance there (my experience then was that you couldn't) you wouldn't know what was included due to (assumed) language.

If you are entering B&H merely to transit the Neum corridor to get down to Dubrovnik, consider instead taking the ferry from Ploce (mainland) to Trpanj (Pljesac peninsula) which avoids the Neum Transit. Doing this means that you stay in Croatia and do not enter B&H at all. The ferry is (at least was) a turn up and pay run by Jadrolinija - details available on their website in English. You then take a minor (but good in 2008) road down the Pljesac to join the main D8 (Magistrala) at Doli, and thence on to Dubrovnik.

Thanks for all the replies. I renewed my insurance in September and do not really want to cancel as I will lose out. The trip involves travelling through Bosnia & Herzegovina from north down to Dubrovnik, 2 days actual travelling in the motorhome. I do know of a company that will cover me for 1 month (Hertz) but will not quote me until 30 days before travelling. By this time I will have to be committed to going and will have no other choice unless anyone here has any other suggestions. Thanks again, all.

worthy - 2018-11-23 10:52 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I renewed my insurance in September and do not really want to cancel as I will lose out. The trip involves travelling through Bosnia & Herzegovina from north down to Dubrovnik, 2 days actual travelling in the motorhome. I do know of a company that will cover me for 1 month (Hertz) but will not quote me until 30 days before travelling. By this time I will have to be committed to going and will have no other choice unless anyone here has any other suggestions. Thanks again, all.

Then check out the ferry I advised of above, and go round the problem. There is no need to enter Bosnia to get down to Dubrovnik.

Are you sure Paul? Have you spoken to the club to see whether they are that interested in which routes you choose?

I only ask because the distance involved is so small. From the point at which you would turn off the D8 to Ploce, and the point at which you would re-join the D8 at the foot of the Pljesac is only 32.5 miles. If you took the ferry instead, the distance involved would be 38 miles, so only 5.5 miles further. After all, Calais to Dubrovnik is about 1,350 miles, so what's an extra 5.5? :-)

I assume the party are merely given the day to day destinations and an estimated driving time, and left to make their own progress, and choose their own routes, between those points. So, if it is only to get to Dubrovnik, and as you didn't want to change insurer, I would still suggest you at least investigate the ferry. In terms of arrival times at sites etc, you would hardly arrive any later than someone who left last and drove more slowly down to Dubrovnik. If you're staying at Solitudo, that is only another 30 miles down to D8.

You haven't said whether your trip involves other visits into BH but, as I said originally, if it is only to cross the Neum corridor, the ferry avoids all/any incursions into BH. OTOH, if other visits in BH are included, you will obviously need to change you insurer before making the trip.

Please don't misunderstand, I'm not trying to push you one way or the other, but the ferry does offer a way to reconcile your stated objectives.

Ploce-Trpanj.jpg.9801f704d9444db0125b40febe2a4f7b.jpg

Hi Brian

The trip does involve staying in B&H and visiting places so I do need to travel in the country. I have have just received (this morning) confirmation of the trip and I am now going to cancel my temporary booking and think again about going next year after my insurance renewal in September. Will have to make do with going to Bavaria or France or Granada or Norway or ...........etc sigh! Thanks again for the advice.

Paul

Archived