Bosnia Herzogovina

Shedmaster76

Anyone got info on documentation for border crossing into Bosnia . We are travelling by motorhome thru Croatia to Dubrovnik . I am told by my insurance company they don,t give green card for Bosnia , and I could get insurance at the border . Any info on cost and where to get insurance greatly appreciated

It's a while since I've wandered down that way but it should be a case of having a valid passport, driving license, valid driving insurance certificate and green card insurance if you're a British citizen.

Are you travelling from Zagreb to Rijeka on the E65 and then travelling along the coast route or do you intend to take the E71 to IVO Zadar and then onto Spit and Dubrovnik. The checkpoints are easy to navigate.

The route from Rijeka is particularly scenic IMO.

You'll have to be careful of the local police though - their main pass time is conducting speeding checks.

Cheers,

Andrew

Thanks Andrew for the warning , I am thinking of travelling the coast road to Split then on to Dubrovnik . When I contacted Comfort insurance they said they did not issue green cards for Bosnia and I could get insurance at the border , anyone else had to go through this proceedure ?

Regards

Richard

Hi Richard,

I'm sorry that I can't post the link (I'm an iPad thickly) but I've just checked the RAC web page for Bosnia and you can read the full details there. If you put 'Bosnia - RAC - Green card' into your search engine then it will pop to the top. It details the Border Crossing Point locations which sell the necessary insurances. I don't think it will be much.

I suspect that you'll only be interested in the Bosnia-bit between the Dubrovnik enclave and the main Croatian coastline but if you're interested in the rest of Bosnia then drop me a note and I'll post some advisory points.

If you visit Rajika then I thoroughly recommend a quick detour to Pula which is a bit of a yacht and rich persons paradise but it's worth the look. Also, if you want to stop in the Zadar and Trogir coastal areas then you can catch a nice day cruise to some of the Croatian islands. It's not super cheap (the boat tours) but hey-Ho you only live once.

Cheers,

Andrew

Shedmaster76 - 2017-05-20 2:12 PM

Anyone got info on documentation for border crossing into Bosnia . We are travelling by motorhome thru Croatia to Dubrovnik . I am told by my insurance company they don,t give green card for Bosnia , and I could get insurance at the border . Any info on cost and where to get insurance greatly appreciated

The last time we did this journey our insurers refused to give a Green Card for Bosnia and we found no insurance facility at the border, so we took the ferry from Ploce to Trpanj on the Pelješac peninsula, then drove south to the mainland again at 42.832188, 17.749619, and on to Dubrovnik.

Its a good option. The peninsula is picturesque. We like Orebic.

Incidentally we've stayed twice here http://campingkate.incroatia.info/en/index.html

and take the water taxi into Dubrovnik

(A lot of people just risk the Neum corridor through Bosnia - its only 10 miles or so - without insurance - we unwittingly did it once - but I would not recommend it!!!)

This is from 2008, so probably out of date by now. We shipped up at the Bosnian border to pass through the Neum corridor, and on the Dubrovnik. I'd had the same response from Comfort re insurance before leaving UK. Border guard leaving Croatia waved us on. Instead, I stopped and investigated on foot, explaining that I wanted insurance for Bosnia. I don't think the border guard quite understood (reasonable: he was a Croat and I was speaking English!) but he raised no objections to me wandering into Bosnia (why would he, it wasn't his country?! :-)), and there was no a soul present, and definitely not anywhere to buy insurance.

We'd tried to take the ferry from Ploce to Trpanj, which by-passes the Neum corridor, but been turned away because the Bora was causing exceptionally high tides and we risked grounding on boarding, so rather than wait for the Bora to blow out, I'd decided to see what the land border offered.

So, encouraged by the smiling Croatian border guard, I decided to drive on, expecting to find a Bosnian border post at which I could try again to buy insurance - having crossed the usual "no man's land" between adjoining state border posts. By the time we'd reached Neum it was clear there was only one border post, manned entirely by Croats, and the Bosnians couldn't give a fig! So being 50% in, we carried on, and met the mirror conditions at the Dubrovnik end, where we were merely waved through on sight of passports. Since then, of Course, Croatia has joined the EU, and no doubt as an EU border post, things are now somewhat different. Or are they?

Easiest solution is the little Ploce to Trpanj ferry, which we were able to take to return - the Bora having subsided. I takes you onto the Peljesac Peninsula, which is Croatian, down which you can drive, fully insured, to Dubrovnik. You may have to reverse onto the ferry, but better that than traversing 15 odd miles of Bosnia uninsured, as we did! It all depends on the Bora! :-)

BTW, if heading that way, don't miss out on Split. For my money Split was way better than Dubrovnik, nice as Dubrovnik was. The Roman emperor Diocletian took early retirement (and must have trousered half the Roman exchequer to boot) and returned to his roots in what is now Croatia, where he built a somewhat luxurious and extensive retirement palace. Several hundred years on, that palace became the town of Split. The old centre of Split is still identifiably mainly Roman, clearly recognisable in various places and, once you realise it was a palace that has been absorbed into a town, spotting the Roman bits can become quite amusing. There is an undercroft beneath much of the town that can be visited, and it is a bit daunting wandering beneath 2,000 or so year old vaults, that carry three story buildings above, and wondering who, actually, did the load calculations. Cherry on the cake is Diocletian's mausoleum, which is now the Split cathedral. So, the mausoleum of the man who fed Christians to the lions, is now a Christian cathedral! Natural justice, or what? Don'tcha' just lurve history? :-D

Brian Kirby - 2017-05-20 9:52 PM

So, encouraged by the smiling Croatian border guard, I decided to drive on, expecting to find a Bosnian border post at which I could try again to buy insurance - having crossed the usual "no man's land" between adjoining state border posts. By the time we'd reached Neum it was clear there was only one border post, manned entirely by Croats,

:-D

That was exactly our experience Brian I referred to above, about 4 or 5 years ago, BUT we were stopped by a Bosnian policeman in Neum ....... In the course of stopping we rapidly agreed to smile broadly and stick our passports out the window. "touriste" he said .... Yes we replied and he waved us on, but it was a squeaky pants moment. DON'T RISK IT .....

It is possible to get insurance for Bosnia in UK. I understand that one of the Caravan Club insurers will issue this, but that it has a limited duration. Try the Caravan Club for details. Otherwise, I think someone previously mentioned that Saga had issued insurance for Bosnia and, if those fail try "Googling" and contacting Lime Street Brokers, and see what they can offer. The obvious drawback is that you'd need to change insurer, and possibly cost. However, the ferry from Ploce to Trpanj is a cheap, hassle free, legal alternative that doesn't involve entering Bosnia to get down to Dubrovnik - providing the Bora isn't blowing! You can get details of the ferry from Jadrolinja ferries, here: http://tinyurl.com/mub5h28

Shedmaster76 - 2017-05-21 4:04 PM

Shedmaster76 - 2017-05-21 3:40 PM

Thanks Brian

I think the ferry sounds like a plan

Is the Euro accepted on Ferries/ campsites ?

Don't know, but Croatia isn't a Euro country. It wasn't when we visited (Croatia wasn't in the EU then) so I just used Kuna. I'd guess some may now accept Euros, but I'd suspect the exchange rate may not be favourable compared to that you'd get with a credit card (you'd need to check how widespread acceptance is, and whether Master Card and Visa are both equally acceptable) or even from a good source of foreign currency in UK.

Andy&Lou - 2017-05-22 2:31 PM

When would you need a Green Card?

I have travelled around Northern Europe without doing anything special with insurance.

Have I been illegal all this time?

Thanks

Andy

:-S

Check your insurance certificate. You should find a list of countries in which your cover is valid. Generally these are EU countries plus Switzerland, Norway etc

If the country you intend visiting is not included you need a Green Card

Andy&Lou - 2017-05-22 2:31 PM

When would you need a Green Card?

I have travelled around Northern Europe without doing anything special with insurance.

Have I been illegal all this time?

Thanks

Andy

:-S

Andy, you'd need to read your insurance policy to answer that, or talk to the insurer. Within the EU area, as defined in your policy document, you do not need a green card as such.

There will probably be other countries outside the EU area (such as Bosnia) that the insurance will cover, but for which you will generally need a green card - as proof that you have insurance meeting the minimum legal requirement for that country. That is all it does, it does not provide you with the insurance, it merely enables you to demonstrate to the authorities that you have insurance.

You should check whether your insurer also extends your f/c cover to such countries, as not all do, reducing your cover when in those countries to the approximate equivalent of third party only (but the exact cover may vary from country to country, and from insurer to insurer).

So, if within your definition of "Northern Europe" you are including non-EU states it is possible you may not have been insured, or were merely insured for third party risks. I know I have said this before, but there is, in reality, no country called Europe (northern or otherwise). Each country has its own legislation and insurance requirements, some of which are quite onerous.

Within the EU there are harmonised insurance requirements, so if you have stayed within the EU, your UK issued insurance will have been fully valid. Some, but not all, of the surrounding states have voluntarily adopted these requirements, but this should not be assumed. Your policy document will usually (invariably?) list these states, and should indicate what additional requirements will be required if you visit them.

Sorry for being lazy and not reading in full all the replies.

You don't need to go Bosnia to get to Dubrovnik unless you really want to.

There is a small ferry from just before the border onto a peninsula that you

drive along then back onto the main coast road to Dubrovnik.

Sorry not got a map to hand to give you proper names.

However, the ferry is just a small roll on roll off, no need to book

just turn up and wait.

It was a bonus find for us on a motorbike trip and we'd had enough of borders.

Had a quick google and the ferry goes from Ptoce.

thebishbus - 2017-05-21 6:52 PM

My Comfort insurance renewal came through last week , it shows that Bosnia Herzogovina is covered by the insurance, so surely they must issue a green card for it. They say the charge for green cards 20 pounds.

Brian B.

Most companies issue them Brian though some do make an extra charge which is a bit of a con really. I'm with Scenic insurance and they provide free Green card cover for virtually every country, so when i was in Croatia i was able to drive through no problem. I had one off them to cover me for part of this years trip too.

For those asking about the euro in Croatia, it's not officially recognised but many campsites and restaurants will take them.

geordy paul - 2017-05-22 6:26 PM

Sorry for being lazy and not reading in full all the replies.

You don't need to go Bosnia to get to Dubrovnik unless you really want to.

There is a small ferry from just before the border onto a peninsula that you

drive along then back onto the main coast road to Dubrovnik.

Sorry not got a map to hand to give you proper names.

However, the ferry is just a small roll on roll off, no need to book

just turn up and wait.

It was a bonus find for us on a motorbike trip and we'd had enough of borders.

Had a quick google and the ferry goes from Ptoce.

I used the ferry from Ploce last year when going to Dubrovnik.

The cost was about £25.

The ride down the peninsular was brilliant and we actually found a very good campsite along the way.

Some folk just drive through Bosnia but why risk an accident to you £40000 motorhome for the sake of spending £25.

Archived